Is "The Passion of Christ" too violent? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is "The Passion of Christ" too violent?

karl k
04-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Should it be resrticted to cable/Sat in lite of the crackdown on decency enforcement?

http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=156115

I found these comments rather ironic and humorous...

"Brent Bozell, the founder of the conservative media watchdog group, the Parents Television Council, said if broadcast networks turned down "The Passion" because of disturbing scenes, "then there is rampant hypocrisy in the halls of Hollywood."

"There doesn't seem to be a problem with other violent content," he said.

This is what happens when someone cries about something they don't like and have it banned... inherently, they are subject to the same rules when it comes to their likes. And I don't know about you guys, but I just don't see much in the line of "real" violence on network anyway. It's almost exclusively sitcoms anymore.

Here's one I put a spin on(in parenthesis)...

The movie "may be violent, but it is also one of the most beautiful(beautifully violent), powerful(powerfully violent) and instructive(instructively violent) movies ever made," Bozell said.

He said the PTC wouldn't endorse or oppose putting "The Passion" on television.

How could he if violence on network TV is immoral and unacceptable?

A related side note...

Heard yesterday that Columbine High has removed the violence and restricted the violent references to war in it's history textbooks and curriculum. How can one really understand the perrels(sp?) of war if they don't see the graphics before it happens first hand? Are you removing violent tendancies from students... or protecting the so-called "fragile" feelings of the students that refuse to let this die a quick death? Will warfare be a shocker to these kids if they ever have to experience it?

Bryan
04-22-2004, 07:22 AM
If the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan can be shown on network TV then the Passion should be able to be shown. The main problem, as I understand it, is that Gibson will not allow the film to be edited in any way, shape, or form.

bturk667
04-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Well, most reviewers say it is one, if not, the most violent movie ever made. Its running time is @127 minutes, about 100 of it is violent. So yes, I could see it being restricted. Why should that matter thought? You can always buy it or rent it!

The reason Mr. Bozell would not oppose putting it on TV is probably the same reason that Bible thumpers, who always condemn movies for being too violent, did not condemn the Passion. Because of the subject matter, Christ/God. Almost as if doing so would be a sin.