Still Purchase DVDs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Still Purchase DVDs?

Hal
07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Hello. Do you think it makes sense to still buy DVDs or should I start buying digital versions of films and link the computer to the tv?

Thanks.

Hyfi
07-18-2013, 09:13 AM
It all depends on your personal preferences. I personally like to have something physical in my hands when I buy it. That said, I don't buy too many DVDs because there is only so many times I would want to keep watching the same movie. I have a handfull of classics like Johnny Dangerously and Wise Guys and a few sets of old TV shows like In Living Color.

DVDs are so cheap now that it just makes sense to have a physical copy if you have the storage room.

TheHills44060
07-18-2013, 01:56 PM
DVDs are so cheap now that it just makes sense to have a physical copy if you have the storage room.
Agree 100%

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-23-2013, 06:35 PM
I stopped buying DVD's back in 2006 when Bluray hit the scene. I haven't watched a DVD since Methuselah's 15th birthday, it looks too grainy and lacks the pop of Bluray disc. Even streaming looks better to me than DVD.

That said, I must have the disc, and do not mind devoting a huge walk in closet to store them.

3db
08-14-2013, 11:08 AM
If the intent of your question is purchasing physical media (I now only buy BluRay) over a computer file, the answer is a resounding yes. The ease, simplicty, and reliability of physical media are the reason why I choose physical media over a digital file any day.

JoeE SP9
08-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Give me physical media every time. I'll take Blu-Ray, DVD or CD discs whenever possible. If I want them on a music or video server I'll copy them to it myself. With that said, I admit to owning a Roku and subscribing to Netflix among other channels available through a Roku box.

Mr Peabody
08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
I stopped buying DVD some time back as well and now buy Blu-ray discs. I don't stream anything at this point. I wouldn't mind an occasional stream but internet in my area sucks, the companies who delivers it sucks, and Dishnet costs too much for streaming movies.