Half Gone 2013 (or maybe ...lost but not forgotten) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Half Gone 2013 (or maybe ...lost but not forgotten)

Davey
07-16-2013, 12:07 PM
So, this isn't really done yet, I'm still putting it together, and it may have some turns to take before it gets where it's going. And some of you will undoubtedly influence the place where it ends up. So I will chronicle it in song at my song of the day link in sig, and hopefully finish it some place along the way. But it starts here ...

The song I have listened to most this year comes at number two on the CocoRosie Tales of a GrassWidow CD. I'd heard of CocoRosie before this, but never listened to any of their music. Not even sure why I did this time, the album cover is striking and may in hindsight offer some clue to the music, but nothing straightforward. I probably read some little blurb that had a catchall line like "experimental freak-folk", or to that effect. Who even knows what something like that means anymore? But it must've meant enough to me, because I did listen, and I did fall in love with Bianca's child-like sing-song-raps, and Sierra's beautiful background vocals, the otherwordly beats and rhythms, fragmented dream-like lyrics, woven of a timeless and feminist social consciousness that embodies all of their music. Anthony Hegarty lends support and his amazing vocal talents on the opening track of the Half Gone 2013 comp, "Tears for Animals".

Heart strings broken, wearily tuned to the moon
Bastard widows born marooned
(Do you have love for humankind?)
Nameless, faceless black-eyed soul
Slave to sorrow, find your way home

Do you have love for humankind?

Davey
07-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Every time I see you in the world,
You always step to my girl

I tend to like when a band is open and honest about how they got where they are, and Vampire Weekend has a lot of obvious (and some not so obvious) influences. This one reworks an old school rap song from Souls of Mischief, "Step To My Girl", and in doing so they make the borrowed chorus above a celebration of all their musical influences, at least that seems the intent. And it's a fun song. The original is pretty fun too, though I'd never heard it before. Fortunately for us all, Ezra Koenig & Co. haven't started rapping on this one, but sounds like they are having fun too. Sounds kinda like they are making fun of themselves too, following up what sounds like an intentional wordsmithing reference to their first album in the chorus with the off-center "What you on about?".

So song number 2 is "Step" by Vampire Weekend from Modern Vampires of the City, this one ripped from the vinyl to pick up some much needed dynamics.

And coming next will be an assortment from Laura Marling and Kurt Vile and Low. Probably Hookworms and The National too. And a couple others. Hopefully not all too predictable.

Davey
07-17-2013, 10:22 AM
To be honest, I don't know much about Laura Marling beyond the first bio paragraph. I haven't been following her since she was a teenager, I didn't really pay attention when she was nominated for the Mercury Prize, I don't have any of her earlier records, and I didn't anticipate paying much attention to her latest record either. But that has changed now.

Song number 3 is "Master Hunter" by Laura Marling from Once I Was An Eagle. One obvious reference when you first hear it is Led Zeppelin III with the acoustic guitar and pounding drums, sounding something like "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp". And then before you get over that, she is quoting Dylan's ****off chorus from "It Ain't Me Babe"...

You want a woman cause you wanna be saved
Well I’ll tell you that I got a little alot on my plate
You want a woman who will call your name
It ain’t me babe
No, no, no, it ain’t me babe

I like it. The record is kind of up and down, and not quite sure yet how I feel about the whole thing. Probably be awhile. Nice sound, a bit like the Fiona Apple record last year that sounds really good too. Some of that same quirky attitude that Fiona brings, so probably be disliked by a lot of the same people... in other words, listen to the whole thing before reaching for your credit card.

Davey
07-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Number 4 spot on Half Gone 2013 goes to Kurt Vile, with "Girl Called Alex" from Wakin on a Pretty Daze.

Not sure if this would be any better if Kurt hired someone else to sing his songs, as our buddy Slosh suggested recently, but his style works fine for me here, kinda the same way that Lou Reed and countless others have managed to get their words out. But then again, I guess it's kind of a stretch to call it singing, and in Kurt's case, it's probably more about the guitars anyway.

In the dawn's early light
I recall a girl named Alex
She and Mark, they were happily wed
At least in my head

I think about them all the time...

So I had no idea what this song was about, and still don't really, but I like the feeling I get from it, and it's kind of like a dream. Of course, the whole record is kind of that way too. But this song has a mysterious girl named Alex, and every verse talks about fantasy and illusion, and thinking about her and Mark all the time. So I did a little search to see if there was any interviews talking about it, and did find a little light at The Rumpus ... The Rumpus Interview With Kurt Vile - The Rumpus.net (http://therumpus.net/2013/06/the-rumpus-interview-with-kurt-vile/) ...

Rumpus: One of my favorites on the album is “Girl Called Alex.”

Vile: Yeah. Me too.

Rumpus: Is there a story behind that? A real-life Alex?

Vile: I’m not gonna tell you the whole story, but basically it’s about my friend Alex, who’s an amazing girl, and she deserves a song written about her. She’s a good friend. It got mistaken as like a jealous love thing, which was so annoying, but what can you do? I wrote it when I was feeling pretty low on the road. It gets lonely on the road sometimes. You can catch long-distance melancholy once in a while. I never was straight literal and put somebody I actually knew in a song, with the name and everything. But I showed it to her recently, I finally saw her, and she was happy.

Rumpus: She didn’t know about it until the album was out?

Vile: No, which is why she’s awesome, she had no idea. I kind of got paranoid that maybe she would have heard it and been like, “That’s weird.” But she hadn’t even heard it. It’s not like everybody is always listening, you know? [Laughs.]

Next up is probably "Just Make it Stop" by Low, which will close out the opening block, but I'll probably let this first part settle in a little first before posting that.

noddin0ff
07-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Oh hey. How did I miss this thread? Great way to comment on the year so far.

I picked up that Laura Marling album. Definitely falls in the 'your mileage may vary" category. I really like it, however. The first tracks are interesting and arresting. A bit much to take in but grows on my with repeated listening.

The other 3 tracks, I'm looking forward to listening to. Thanks for the comments.

dean_martin
07-26-2013, 01:14 PM
The other 3 tracks, I'm looking forward to listening to. Thanks for the comments.

Hey, Noddin. I sent you that Kurt Vile track (Girl Called Alex) by pm back in May when you were soliciting tracks for a comp. Have you abandoned that project or did I miss it?

Davey - keep it going. I recently picked up "Haw" which you mentioned in another thread. The opening track is outstanding and the rest is starting to grow on me. Thanks.

Davey
07-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Oh hey. How did I miss this thread? Great way to comment on the year so far... The other 3 tracks, I'm looking forward to listening to. Thanks for the comments.

Davey - keep it going. I recently picked up "Haw" which you mentioned in another thread. The opening track is outstanding and the rest is starting to grow on me. Thanks.

Thanks guys. Not sure there's enough interest to continue commenting on every song, but the other ones are uploading now, and it went together something like this ...

Half Gone 2013
1. CocoRosie - Tears for Animals
2. Vampire Weekend - Step
3. Laura Marling - Master Hunter
4. Kurt Vile - Girl Called Alex
5. Low - Just Make It Stop
6. Hookworms - Since We Have Changed
7. Youth Lagoon - Dropla
8. The National - Humiliation
9. Hiss Golden Messenger - Sufferer (Love My Conqueror)
10. Patty Griffin - Ohio
11. Ed Harcourt - Murmur In My Heart
12. CocoRosie - Poison

Like past Half Gone comps, not necessarily the best songs from the best albums of the year, but a fun comp to put together, and there are some good ones that I really like.

noddin0ff
07-29-2013, 04:08 AM
Hey, Noddin. I sent you that Kurt Vile track (Girl Called Alex) by pm back in May when you were soliciting tracks for a comp. Have you abandoned that project or did I miss it?

Why, yes, you did! I hadn't listened Davey's and didn't connect the track names. My bad. Very nice track, obviously. But, yeah. I abandoned that effort. Couldn't quite pull enough tracks to make it worthwhile. Maybe now I can think about a half-gone, if I can get some more listening time in. :-)

, and it went together something like this ...
Thanks for the update. I like the Low and The National albums too. (No Nick Cave?).

bobsticks
07-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Thanks guys. Not sure there's enough interest to continue commenting on every song, but the other ones are uploading now, and it went together something like this ...

Half Gone 2013
1. CocoRosie - Tears for Animals
2. Vampire Weekend - Step
3. Laura Marling - Master Hunter
4. Kurt Vile - Girl Called Alex
5. Low - Just Make It Stop
6. Hookworms - Since We Have Changed
7. Youth Lagoon - Dropla
8. The National - Humiliation
9. Hiss Golden Messenger - Sufferer (Love My Conqueror)
10. Patty Griffin - Ohio
11. Ed Harcourt - Murmur In My Heart
12. CocoRosie - Poison

Like past Half Gone comps, not necessarily the best songs from the best albums of the year, but a fun comp to put together, and there are some good ones that I really like.

How would one obtain this work of nuance? Did I miss a linky?

Davey
07-29-2013, 07:29 AM
How would one obtain this work of nuance? Did I miss a linky?

It says in the first para of the first post, but my sig is always a dropbox link for my song of the day page, and there are links on that page for the songs (and whatever else might still be there). I uploaded them individually thinking there might be some fun interaction along the way to guide the outcome, so there is no link for the whole package.

No Nick Cave?

No, I haven't heard it yet. I know a lot of people like it, but Nick's projects haven't done much for me lately, so I've been reluctant to spend the time. Not sure exactly what it is. What about you?

Jim Clark
07-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm not familiar at all with CocoRosie. After listening to the disc I was confused because it sure sounds like the dude from Anthony and the Johnsons, which I've never really followed at all. He works really well with these tracks though. I'm gonna try to grab some more of this CocoRosie release, I like the two you hooked me up with. Thanks.

jc

Davey
07-29-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm not familiar at all with CocoRosie. After listening to the disc I was confused because it sure sounds like the dude from Anthony and the Johnsons, which I've never really followed at all. He works really well with these tracks though.

It is the guy from Antony and the Johnsons, Antony Hegarty, that's what I said in the intro. He is on both tracks, which may account for why I like them so much. I also really love his The Crying Lights record from a few years ago, though it is very dark. They work together quite a bit and support each other, both musically and in some gender bending ways too I think, and are partnered in some sociopolitical causes ....

Antony has created a feminist group called The Future Feminisim which we belong. We meet regularly. This inspired us to track the problem Tearz For Animals. This song is about the demographic imbalance caused by female infanticide in China or India, it causes problems when you interfere with the natural balance. We asked Antony to sing this song. For me, the voice of Antony here is that of Mother Nature.

CocoRosie Land - Chronique Musicale interviews CocoRosie (http://cocorosieland.tumblr.com/post/33915990745/chronique-musicale-interviews-cocorosie)

Jim Clark
07-30-2013, 06:03 AM
My bad for not reading all of the posts, I was anxious to get to the music : )

jonnyhambone
07-30-2013, 07:18 AM
nice list, haven't hit your link for a listen yet but I do have a handful of those albums. That Low is most excellent. The new Nick Cave is very worth checking out - love at least half of it and prob. the best thing he's done since Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues.

This whole Half-Gone thing may prompt me to post my version, outstanding year for new music I think!

Davey
07-30-2013, 07:31 AM
My bad for not reading all of the posts, I was anxious to get to the music : )

That's OK, I'm not exactly recognized around these parts for my communication skills, and I didn't actually explain who Antony Hegarty is in my post either. I pretty much love that whole CocoRosie record, but the reviews were very much mixed, which just proves there are a lot of idiots reviewing music :)

This whole Half-Gone thing may prompt me to post my version, outstanding year for new music I think!

Please do. Anyone still remember the first one? From a time long time ago and a place far away .... though looking at it now, maybe not all that far away ... and I may have had better taste in music back then too :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22278349/halfgone2001.jpg

Jim Clark
07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Still have it!

Snowbunny
08-16-2013, 06:26 PM
That's OK, I'm not exactly recognized around these parts for my communication skills, and I didn't actually explain who Antony Hegarty is in my post either. I pretty much love that whole CocoRosie record, but the reviews were very much mixed, which just proves there are a lot of idiots reviewing music :)

Please do. Anyone still remember the first one? From a time long time ago and a place far away .... though looking at it now, maybe not all that far away ... and I may have had better taste in music back then too :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22278349/halfgone2001.jpg

Yeah, still one of the best comps in my collection. That was a good year and it still holds up well (yikes!) 12 years later! I'm forever in your debt for my musical indoctrination. :)

Snowbunny
08-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Holy sh*t, listening to Ricky Lee Jones' remake of Just Walk Away Rene! Blown away . . .

SB

Snowbunny
08-16-2013, 07:56 PM
All apologies for spamming this thread, but I'm on a bit of a listening binge atm.

LOVING the band, Hiss Golden Messenger.

But feels like a guilty pleasure somehow. Am I listening to Christian Rock? I see they're from N. Carolina, is that a bible belt state?

Whatever! The lead singer's voice is deep and growlie and how can I not like a song called, "Jesus Shot Me In the Head"?

Davey
08-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Holy sh*t, listening to Ricky Lee Jones' remake of Just Walk Away Rene! Blown away . . .

SB
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Waybackmachine3.png

Yea, that's a good one. As long as we're firing up the wayback machine, that Rickie Lee Jones remake also goes back to a Rave Recs golden moldie oldie thread from about the same time as that Half Gone comp ... AudioReview.com's Forum Archives (http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF6247C.php)

Just got the new Califone "Stitches" and the new Julia Holter "Loud City Song", and both sound pretty alright to me. Might just be sneaking up on a pretty alright year. The Califone is not officially out until Sep 3, but the vinyl preorder comes with download. And the new Richard Buckner "Surrounded" comes out that same day. And he is touring the eastern part of the US with Califone, should be some good shows out near our buddy Swish Daddy.

we're a long time
winter out the war
we are a payphone ... waiting

Snowbunny
08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
That was an interesting thread! Thanks!

I wouldn't call myself a Rickie Lee fan, but one of my favourite songs "in the day" was Chuckie's in Love. :cool:

Davey
08-16-2013, 09:47 PM
That was an interesting thread! Thanks!

I wouldn't call myself a Rickie Lee fan, but one of my favourite songs "in the day" was Chuckie's in Love. :cool:

Looks like the link for the list in that thread is dead, but a quick search turns it up ...

Chicago Reader September 28, 1995 Music | Music Sidebar

The 100 Greatest Moments in Rock History By Bill Wyman

100. Lou Reed in "Coney Island Baby": "I'm sending this one out to Lou and Rachel..."
99. "Satisfaction."
98. The lack of inflection in Johnny Cash's vocals on "Ring of Fire."
97. The clattery drums and gentle guitar washes in Pavement's "Summer Babe."
96. Bob Mould groaning "I'm hardly getting over it" on Candy Apple Grey.
95. "You look like you been whupped with an ugly stick" (Jerome in Bo Diddley's "Say Man").
94. The opening echoey bass on "For the Love of Money."
93. Ernie Isley's silky guitar on "That Lady (Parts 1 & 2)."
92. Shane MacGowan's dissolute vocals in the Pogues' "Fairytale of New York."
91. The key change in "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)."
90. "Wouldn't It Be Nice."
89. The explosive start to Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower."
88. The dissonant, raspy violin--and dissonant, raspy harmonies--of the Raincoats' "In Love."
87. "Maybe someday your name will be in lights / Sayin' 'Johnny B. Goode tonight!'"
86. Tom Waits's gutter stage patter on Nighthawks: "I'm so goddamn horny that the crack of dawn better be careful around me."
85. The utterly nonsensical lyrics of Elton John's "Grey Seal."
84. Robin Zander yelling "We're all all right" at the end of the live version of Cheap Trick's "Surrender."
83. The doo-doo-doos in New Order's "Temptation."
82. The scratchy guitar sample in the Geto Boys' "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me."
81. David Lindley's slide guitar on the second Jackson Browne album.
80. Teddy Pendergrass's sultry voice in "Wake Up Everybody."
79. Keith Moon's drumming on "Won't Get Fooled Again."
78. The spaciousness of the arrangement of Stevie Wonder's "Master Blaster (Jammin')."
77. The Flaming Lips' dissonant, magnanimous take on "What a Wonderful World."
76. The French horns on Aretha's "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman."
75. Kim Deal's "How do you think it feels?" cameo in Ultra Vivid Scene's "Special One."
74. Eddie Van Halen's synth line in "Jump."
73. The wall o' guitars on Dwight Twilley's "I'm on Fire."
72. Run-D.M.C. calling themselves the "King of Rock" not rap.
71-70. John Doe and Exene's caustic Balin and Slick-style harmonies on "Johny Hit and Run Pauline"; Billy Zoom's cranked guitar.
69. "Bruce Berry was a workin' man / He used to love that Econoline van."
68. The bass line in "Stayin' Alive."
67. The box-tap drumming on Buddy Holly's "Everyday."
66. "What's Going On."
65. Elvis's "Don'tcha know I'm" interjection in "Suspicious Minds."
64. The concussive beginning of Portishead's "Sour Times."
63. Prince Be claiming his hip-hop props on PM Dawn's "Plastic."
62-61. Joey Ramone's cry of betrayal in "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg"; the glockenspiel.
60. All 18:05 of Stereolab's "Jenny Ondioline."
59. The utterly dry recording of the guitars in Led Zeppelin's "Trampled Under Foot."
58. KRS-One spitting out "Tell me what the **** am I supposed to do?" in "Love's Gonna Get 'Cha."
57. The swirling synth in Patti Smith's "Frederick."
56. Lou Reed's liner notes to Metal Machine Music.
55. Richard Manuel's tearful voice on "Tears of Rage."
54. Barry White's "Love Theme."
53. The "See the trees my forefathers hung from" line on Arrested Development's "Tennessee."
52. Johnny Marr's guitar reverb on the Smiths' "How Soon Is Now?"
51. David Lowery moaning "Just give me some tension relief" in Camper Van Beethoven's "(I Was Born in a) Laundromat."
50. The southerner listing the northern ghettos in Randy Newman's "Rednecks."
49. Mick Jones's guitar solo on Elvis Costello's "Tiny Steps."
48. Ricky Wilson's rattling guitar in "Private Idaho" by the B-52's.
47. The fax machine sound in the Breeders' "Cannonball."
46. Chrissie Hynde yelping "I got a kid / I'm 33!" on "Middle of the Road."
45-44. The dead stops in Suede's "Metal Mickey" and R.E.M.'s "Radio Free Europe."
43. The apocalyptic wails in the background of the Clash's "White Man in the Hammersmith Palais."
42. The 1:57 instrumental beginning of the Temptations' "Papa Was a Rolling Stone."
41. The anomie of the vocals in Chic's "Good Times."
40. The piano 'n' slide coda of "Layla."
39-38. Mick Jones's soft, gentle vocals on "Stay Free"; the burst of guitar at the end.
37. Sylvester wailing "You make me feel / Mighty mighty real."
36. Prince's "Maybe I'm just like my father" line in "When Doves Cry."
35. Elvis Presley's lugubrious, repulsive, mesmerizing performance of "My Way" at the end of This Is Elvis.
34. The opening thunderous bass in Urge Overkill's "The Candidate."
33. Jerry Butler singing "For Your Precious Love."
32. The floating alarm clock in "A Day in the Life."
31. The sampled squeals in LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out."
30. The last verse of John Fogerty's "Wrote a Song for Everyone."
29. Polly Harvey howling "I'm walking on water!" on Dry.
28. Chuck D's indignant "Elvis was a hero to most but not me" in "Fight the Power."
27. The rattling aridity--intellectually, atmospherically, morally--of Dr. Dre's "Dre Day."
26. "Shake Some Action."
25. The production of Tusk.
24. The on-the-three-beat thump of almost any Al Green single.
23. The opening 30 seconds of "I Want You Back."
22. The way Bob Marley enunciates "in the government yard in Trenchtown" in "No Woman, No Cry."
21. Rick Rubin's Zep sample on the Beastie Boys' "She's Crafty."
20. The harmonies in the Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset."
19. The "launderette," "leatherette," "dinette set," etc. rhymes in David Johansen's "Frenchette."
18. The four a cappella seconds at the beginning of Otis Redding's "These Arms of Mine."
17. The pedal steel and strings crescendoing in George Jones's "He Stopped Loving Her Today."
16. The earsplitting homage to "Be My Baby" at the beginning of the Jesus and Mary Chain's "Just Like Honey."
15. "Be My Baby."
14. The last verse of "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall."
13. "September Gurls."
12. Keith Richards's guitar solo in "Gimme Shelter."
11. D. Boon murmuring "Me and Mike Watt, playing guitar" in the Minutemen's "History Lesson--Part II."
10. "The record company, Rosie, just gave me a big advance!"
9. Neil Tennant singing "I love you / You pay my rent."
8. Jon Langford screaming "I'm born inside the belly of rock 'n' roll" in the Mekons' "Memphis, Egypt."
7-6. The guitars in the Replacements' "Left of the Dial"; Paul Westerberg's moan.
5. The sax break on Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic."
4. The opening chord, hit nine times, of "Anarchy in the UK."
3. Kurt Cobain singing the "My heart is broke" verse of "Dumb."
2. "Walk Away Renee."
1. The guitar falling out and the synthesizer welling up in the ninth bar of "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

Snowbunny
08-16-2013, 10:32 PM
:blush2:

Davey
08-17-2013, 04:49 AM
Hey, it worked for me! I promise I wasn't just humouring you, Davey!

Uh... what worked? The link I posted for the archive works, but the one maf posted in that old archive thread doesn't still work, does it? No matter... all's good.

Ex Lion Tamer
08-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Hilarious!

I'm reading the list marveling at how fun and cool and in tune with what I like it is with no clue that it was posted by our old buddy maf. Man being over 50 is a *****. How do you recall this stuff Davey?

Davey
08-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Hilarious!

I'm reading the list marveling at how fun and cool and in tune with what I like it is with no clue that it was posted by our old buddy maf. Man being over 50 is a *****. How do you recall this stuff Davey?

That is a riot :)

I do still have a decent memory, and I did recall recommending that Rickie Lee Jones Volcano EP around here, and I was just listening to it lately which is why I tossed that track up to the song of the day link that Snowbunny was perusing, and so after I read her post I did a google and the later thread below showed up first (which you'd never guess based on the title, but threads used to go off topic all over the place here), but it also included the link to that maf guy's old thread ... so it's really just google turning a little ghost of an old memory into something real, not so much me.

http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/pitchforkmedia-coms-top-50-2005-a-15218-2.html#post120521

Snowbunny
08-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I've come to the realization that I suck at picking music.

Recently, I bought a couple of new albums online, by two Malaysian-born artists, Zee Avi and Yuna. Both are a little better than okay.

So why can't I find artists like Patty Griffin on my own? After listening to Davey's pick, Ohio, I happened upon one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've heard in a long time, Not Alone.

Not Alone (Acoustic Version)

She sees him laying in the bed alone tonight
The only thing a touching him is a crack of light
Pieces of her hair are wrapped around and 'round his fingers
And he reaches for her side, for any sign of her that lingers

And she says you are not alone
Laying in the light
Put out the fire in your head
And lay with me tonight...

And what is her connection with Robert Plant?

Snowbunny
08-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Hilarious!

Heheheheh... ELT, you goofball!

Being a fellow member of the 1/2 Century Club, I'm trying to fill in the blank in your quote:

Being over 50 is a shock? A dream? I always liked that maf guy. :smilewinkgrin:

Davey
08-21-2013, 10:17 AM
LOVING the band, Hiss Golden Messenger.

But feels like a guilty pleasure somehow. Am I listening to Christian Rock? I see they're from N. Carolina, is that a bible belt state?

Whatever! The lead singer's voice is deep and growlie and how can I not like a song called, "Jesus Shot Me In the Head"?

This latest one from HGM will surely be one of the very best albums this year. Extremely high quality music. I was talking about it recently in another thread here (just searched and it is here (http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/what-spinning-16343-128.html#post394906), but I see you were there too soon after that post, so I guess that might be called a nevermind :)).

Anyway, love this record. Love Bless You too by their previous incarnation. Given enough exposure, I would probably love just about anything these guys do, I'm kinda easy when the sound is right. And I do have a few more that still need some of that extended exposure, but "Haw" is just the best. And while the CD leaves a bit to be desired because of the needless compression applied, especially compared to the very nice sounding "Bless You" (which goes back to the turn of the century), I've a feeling the vinyl of this one is very nice, as is "Bless You". And as a matter of fact, I just ordered it, along with a few other recent and upcoming vinyl releases ...

Haw
(http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=616892104643&x=)

by Hiss Golden Messenger
Format: Vinyl LP

Surrounded (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=673855049915&x=)

by Richard Buckner
Pre-Order available on 09/03/2013

Stitches (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=656605138015&x=)

by Califone

Loud City Song (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=887828030613&x=)

by Julia Holter

Tales of a GrassWidow (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=634457595910&x=)

by CocoRosie

Snowbunny
08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
This latest one from HGM will surely be one of the very best albums this year. Extremely high quality music. I was talking about it recently in another thread here (just searched and it is here (http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/what-spinning-16343-128.html#post394906), but I see you were there too soon after that post, so I guess that might be called a nevermind :)).

Anyway, love this record. Love Bless You too by their previous incarnation. Given enough exposure, I would probably love just about anything these guys do, I'm kinda easy when the sound is right. And I do have a few more that still need some of that extended exposure, but "Haw" is just the best. And while the CD leaves a bit to be desired because of the needless compression applied, especially compared to the very nice sounding "Bless You" (which goes back to the turn of the century), I've a feeling the vinyl of this one is very nice, as is "Bless You". And as a matter of fact, I just ordered it, along with a few other recent and upcoming vinyl releases ...

Haw
(http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=616892104643&x=)

by Hiss Golden Messenger

Surrounded (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=673855049915&x=)

by Richard Buckner

Stitches (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=656605138015&x=)

by Califone

Loud City Song (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=887828030613&x=)

by Julia Holter

Tales of a GrassWidow (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=634457595910&x=)

by CocoRosie

I may just have to buy that Haw myself. I really enjoy that "sound". Not sure what the genre would be called, but other bands like the Lumineers and Mumford and Sons have a similar sound. (It looks like it might be defined as "Roots" music.)

I have, and really enjoy, The Lumineers self-titled first album, but for some reason, Mumford and Sons has never appealed to me.

I'll be interested to see some reviews of Califone's - Stitches, and I really like the video for the song on your Half-Gone by Ed Harcourt. Do you have the entire album, and if so, what do you think?

Snowie

Davey
08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
I may just have to buy that Haw myself. I really enjoy that "sound". Not sure what the genre would be called..
Loosely alt-country, but the songs are so mysterious and evocative, makes it hard to easily characterize. Country, rock, soul, folk, gospel, I just let it flow around me and don't think about it all that much. Nice getaway, like some faraway beach...

... and I really like the video for the song on your Half-Gone by Ed Harcourt. Do you have the entire album, and if so, what do you think?

Good record, pretty much just Ed and a nice piano (and sometimes a guitar) live in the studio. In this case, the one on Abbey Road. Very nice sound, good dynamics. Probably more a treat for fans than a grab for new ones. I like it a lot, but wouldn't be something I'd recommend to just anyone. That out of the way, you are obviously not "just anyone", so I would highly recommended it to you, but be forewarned that it could take a while before you realize how good it is. Something below from another big fan, Tony Van Dorston at fastnbulbous.com ...

Ed Harcourt – Back Into The Woods
Ed Harcourt has been the most consistently great singer-songwriter of the past 13 years, no contest, and it pisses me off that everyone doesn’t recognize it. The most press he got was probably after his 2001 debut Here Be Monsters, when the young 22 year-old musician already had hundreds of songs written. Influenced by Bowie, Waits and Buckley, he only got better since then. Rather than overwhelm his audience with a slew of releases, he kept the quality control standards high and stuck to a release schedule of an album every few years, each one as impressive as the last. Not counting EPs and limited self-releases, this is his sixth album, another must hear for anyone not completely satisfied by the output of Rufus Wainwright and Patrick Wolf.

And what you love most I could well destroy
Because the pretty girls always fall for the baddest boys...
The pretty girls always fall for the baddest boys

jonnyhambone
08-21-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm also on the Hiss Golden Messenger bandwagon!...the vinyl is very nice, lush sound with little compression and a warmth that lends itself nicely to the country-gospel-roadhouse vibe. I've talked up the collaboration they did with guitarist Steve Gunn earlier this year 'round here too - nicely titled, Golden Gunn. It's a bit more late night, juke-box, AM radio feel to it but certainly in a similar vein to the Haw release. Both releases are definitely two of my faves from this year.
Otherwise, I tried the new Julia Holter after adoring her Extasis lp last year, but it seems a bit too 'Bjork via Broadway musical' to me...maybe deserves a few more tries.
On the other hand, the new Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe, is utterly entrancing to me. She does very ethereal, almost church choir-sounding, vocals that she sings and loops over ambient sound collages. On this new one, she recorded with some of the Sigur Ros crew at an actual studio in Iceland (as opposed to her previous lp's recorded in her bedroom), with lots of beautiful reverb and atmospheric contributions from other people and from the spaces they recorded in (like next to the outdoor empty pool at the Sigur Ros recording studio with a choir of Icelandic elementary school girls singing backing...!). Very pretty thing that I can't get enough of lately.

Otherwise, in two sides of a musical spectrum, two other absolute highlights of 2013 so far for me are Deafheaven, Sunbather and Daniel Romano, Come Cry With Me.
Deafheaven is three guys who play some pretty heavy deathmetal-style stuff, screaming vocals and big chords but with the subtlety and atmosphere of a post-rock group like Godspeed You! Black Emperor. If I'm not in the right mood it's too much and feels contrived but mostly, I can't get enough of this album.
Daniel Romano is a Canadian dude who sings like a Canuck Hank Williams Sr. Great instrumentation and overall sound, whiskey-soaked and heartfelt country from someone who listened to enough Gram Parsons and George Jones to get it, and did it in their own way...
Daniel Romano - " A New Love (Can Be Found)" [American Songwriter] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTd93eldW3o)

Davey
08-22-2013, 07:31 AM
On the other hand, the new Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe, is utterly entrancing to me. She does very ethereal, almost church choir-sounding, vocals that she sings and loops over ambient sound collages. On this new one, she recorded with some of the Sigur Ros crew at an actual studio in Iceland (as opposed to her previous lp's recorded in her bedroom), with lots of beautiful reverb and atmospheric contributions from other people and from the spaces they recorded in (like next to the outdoor empty pool at the Sigur Ros recording studio with a choir of Icelandic elementary school girls singing backing...!). Very pretty thing that I can't get enough of lately.

Thanks, hadn't heard of her before but sounds interesting. On the Dead Oceans label with Califone and Phosphorescent and a few others I like.

Snowbunny
08-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Loosely alt-country, but the songs are so mysterious and evocative, makes it hard to easily characterize. Country, rock, soul, folk, gospel, I just let it flow around me and don't think about it all that much. Nice getaway, like some faraway beach...

Good record, pretty much just Ed and a nice piano (and sometimes a guitar) live in the studio. In this case, the one on Abbey Road. Very nice sound, good dynamics. Probably more a treat for fans than a grab for new ones. I like it a lot, but wouldn't be something I'd recommend to just anyone. That out of the way, you are obviously not "just anyone", so I would highly recommended it to you, but be forewarned that it could take a while before you realize how good it is. Something below from another big fan, Tony Van Dorston at fastnbulbous.com ...

Ed Harcourt – Back Into The Woods
Ed Harcourt has been the most consistently great singer-songwriter of the past 13 years, no contest, and it pisses me off that everyone doesn’t recognize it. The most press he got was probably after his 2001 debut Here Be Monsters, when the young 22 year-old musician already had hundreds of songs written. Influenced by Bowie, Waits and Buckley, he only got better since then. Rather than overwhelm his audience with a slew of releases, he kept the quality control standards high and stuck to a release schedule of an album every few years, each one as impressive as the last. Not counting EPs and limited self-releases, this is his sixth album, another must hear for anyone not completely satisfied by the output of Rufus Wainwright and Patrick Wolf.

And what you love most I could well destroy
Because the pretty girls always fall for the baddest boys...
The pretty girls always fall for the baddest boys

Hey Danger Davey,

Sounds like my kinda album. It always surprises me when I go away for a while, and come back, artists like Harcourt are just chugging along, no more or less popular than before.

But then again, I guess I'm happy for his fans that he doesn't get eaten by the popular music monsters.

Listening to some happy, upbeat stuff right now, after dealing with a terrifying accident in the family. Let's just say that "stop, drop & roll" isn't always the best advice!

Can you guess what's playing . . .

As we would lay and learn what each other's bodies were for

And this is the room
One afternoon I knew I could love you
And from above you how I sank into your soul
Into that secret place where no one dares to go

Of course, based on most of the lyrics, it might not read as a happy, joyful song. :)

Slosh
08-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Not really a Dodos fan but did you see they have a new album out? New Califone next week is the first album in many months that I'm looking forward to. Not much new stuff this year so far that has any staying power for me. Good thing I have other hobbies too. Replaced my 10 year old Mazda daily driver with this in May...
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/100_0996.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/Slosh_album/media/100_0996.jpg.html)Still have my Challenger. Now I drive nothing but muscle cars :)

Snowbunny
08-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Not really a Dodos fan but did you see they have a new album out? New Califone next week is the first album in many months that I'm looking forward to. Not much new stuff this year so far that has any staying power for me. Good thing I have other hobbies too. Replaced my 10 year old Mazda daily driver with this in May...
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/100_0996.jpg (http://s432.photobucket.com/user/Slosh_album/media/100_0996.jpg.html)Still have my Challenger. Now I drive nothing but muscle cars :)

Pretty car! You good in chemistry, by any chance? :wink5:

I was just thinking about you. Oh Comely was on the playlist. And I'm still strangely attracted/repulsed by the lyrics. Pretty brave rec for a guy. :)

Although now that I think of it, I may have got it from the late Ms.Nomer.

Snowie

Slosh
08-27-2013, 11:44 PM
You good in chemistry, by any chance? :wink5:
No, but I have been watching Breaking Bad. My favorite current show by far is Justified. Too bad about Elmore Leonard. I wonder if they'll continue with the series?

Okay, so I really have nothing to add to this thread.

Swish
08-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Hey Danger Davey,

Sounds like my kinda album. It always surprises me when I go away for a while, and come back, artists like Harcourt are just chugging along, no more or less popular than before.

But then again, I guess I'm happy for his fans that he doesn't get eaten by the popular music monsters.

Listening to some happy, upbeat stuff right now, after dealing with a terrifying accident in the family. Let's just say that "stop, drop & roll" isn't always the best advice!

Can you guess what's playing . . .

As we would lay and learn what each other's bodies were for

And this is the room
One afternoon I knew I could love you
And from above you how I sank into your soul
Into that secret place where no one dares to go

Of course, based on most of the lyrics, it might not read as a happy, joyful song. :)

Oh, guess I did.

Jack in Wilmington
08-28-2013, 09:18 AM

Nice Slosh, I got back in the muscle car scene in July with this.

Slosh
08-28-2013, 01:50 PM
My girlfriend keeps joking her next car will be a Camaro SS so we'll then have all three of current muscle cars. She'll actually probably buy some sort of small SUV since unlike me she can't take off of work due to bad weather (she works in a cardiac ward at one of the big hospitals around here). Hey, someone around here needs to have a practical car and it sure isn't going to be me! :)

I've yet to drive a Camaro. Not sure why yet as I know a couple of people that have them. I wasn't actually looking to buy a Mustang GT but I stumbled across this one for a too-good-to-pass-up price. My Challenger R/T is fast but the Mustang is an absolute beast. I now actually look forward to driving to work. Having a fun-to-drive car (or two) is a big quality of life thing for me, considering how many hours I end up driving each week.

No new music I can talk about right now so I'll shut up and leave this thread alone.

Jack in Wilmington
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah we don't want to get accused of hijacking the thread.

Ex Lion Tamer
08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Did I tell you I have a ticket to see them on their reunion tour in January?

So DO I! I haven't been this excited to see a show since I had tickets to Wire in '85ish.