Help setting up speaker system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up speaker system

MichaelM
07-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Hello
I was wondering if someone could help me with my latest speaker dilemma. I have an old set of five speakers and one sub-woofer that I were previously hooked up to an old DVD player and used for surround sound. The DVD player has long been broken but I would rather not get rid of the speakers if I can still put them to use. My goal would be to hook them up to a computer or even an ipod so that I could play music through them. My problem is that I can not find any product that serves as a base for these speakers to be hooked up to. Does anyone know if such a product exists or of another way to repurpose these speakers?
The ends of the wires are Red-black, green-black, blue-black, white-black, yellow-black, orange-black (subwoofer wire).

Thank you!

Mr Peabody
07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm guessing you had what is commonly called "home theater in a box" (HTIB), the versions I'm familiar with the crossovers and amps are built into the electronics and the speakers are all passive (no amplification of their own), especially noteable for the bass module or what you may refer to as a subwoofer, in the described set up it's more of a bass module as it plays pretty high to attempt to blend with the small satelite speakers.

I've thought about this and I think your best bet would be to look on Craigslist or some place for a similar product to what you had before, a HTIB, maybe you can find some one who has a good unit but the speakers are shot. I was thinking about an inexpensive surround receiver but only the satelites would work, you could use the built in crossover of the receiver to take out the low frequencies the speakers aren't designed to handle. The matching sub you have will not work with a receiver as stated it has no amp of it's own and adding an amp you would find complicated and get the price up to where you might as well buy other speakers. I can see using the speakers but truthfully they are entry level and not worth going to great lengths to use. If you did buy a receiver to use the satelites, you could probably find a small Yamaha, Sony or Polk sub for cheap. If you buy used gear this all may be fine but again you have to weigh the expense against what you have.

If I'm wrong about the type of system you had let me know and I will take another shot :)

gtuyis
08-06-2013, 02:00 AM
i don't think i can do something for you, so ..