Found two hidden gems from cable TV this weekend [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Found two hidden gems from cable TV this weekend

markw
07-01-2013, 08:01 AM
"The Watch" - A neighborhood watch group consisting basically of Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill tangle with some really slimey aliens. Yeah, it sounds tacky. It kinda is, but it actually works as a buddy flick with good character interplay and a ton of laughs thrown in. Definitely worth the time, and it's available via Netflix.

"Premium Rush" - Joseph Gorden-Levitt as a NYC bike runner being chased by bad cop Michael Shannon. Better than I would have delieved and Shannon may be one of the creepiest and scariest of the new batch of actors to hit the market. He makes General Zod look compassionate here.

Hoccum I never heard about these when they were initially released?

dean_martin
07-01-2013, 09:23 AM
"Premium Rush" - Joseph Gorden-Levitt as a NYC bike runner being chased by bad cop Michael Shannon. Better than I would have delieved and Shannon may be one of the creepiest and scariest of the new batch of actors to hit the market. He makes General Zod look compassionate here.

Hoccum I never heard about these when they were initially released?

Mark, I saw both of these. The Watch premiered on HBO this weekend.

Michael Shannon has been very good in Boardwalk Empire, especially in the first couple of seasons. He played a very straight-laced revenuer gone bezerk. His character seems to be wandering a little bit in the later episodes. Maybe he'll be more critical to the story next season like he was early on.

markw
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Although he's been knocking around the industry playing small parts for over 20 years, Boardwalk Empire is how I, and probably most of the world, first became aware of Mr. Shannons work. He's got an intense, dry, menacingly sinister bent to everything I've seen him in. He seems to be capatilizing on this ability.

I'd like to see him in a comedy, just for laughs.

As for BE, I'm curious where his role is going now that he's surrendred to the dark side.