Avr with phono imput [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Avr with phono imput

limonv
06-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi guys, I've been building up my first surround system and its quite an adventure, and I like that.
I have a turntable which I want to get the best out of, but my ONKYO AVR does not have a phono input, which is why I want you guys to recommend me a budget AVR that I can use pretty much just for that, since I have the ONKYO for every other purpose.
Right now my system is the onkyo nr-609, a pair of PSB B5's, and I'm about to buy a Martin Logan subwoofer... Really excited about making it a great sounding system!!
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Cheers!

Hyfi
06-28-2013, 07:32 AM
How a bout a nice little outboard phono preamp that you can plug into your existing AVR?

see some of these from cheap to killer

Audio Advisor - Search Results for phono (http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=phono)

blackraven
06-28-2013, 10:28 AM
What he said-

Phono Preamps (http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps)

But if you are looking for a dedicated 2ch receiver for phono use then consider a HK 3390

Harman Kardon HK-3390 Stereo Receiver HK 3390 B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=554380&is=REG&A=details&Q=)

or the 3490

hk 3490| B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=hk+3490&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta)

A separate phono preamp will sound better though

markw
06-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I agree with the others. Dumping an otherwise fine AVR simply because it lacks a phono stage is kinds like buyig a new car because it's got a flat tire.

That, plus your selection for AVR's with phono stages is very, very limited.

Now, if you simply want an excuse for a new AVR, well...

limonv
06-29-2013, 06:41 PM
I appreciate your recommendations guys, I'm getting borrowed a phono preamp from my brother. I'll try it to see how it works out, and hopefully I won't have any problems with set up, because being new to this and everything.
Thanks again, I'll let you guys know how it goes!

limonv
07-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Hey guys, i got borrowed from my brother this phono preamp TCC TC-750. I dont really know if itīs good, bad, or regular. the main purpose is to try it with my turntable, see how it goes and if it does, then maybe consider investing on a better one to imporve the sound quality.
I have the doubt of how to install it, so im posting a couple of images from the rear part of my AVR and the input on my turntable, see if you guys can give me any advice o instructions on how to set it up!!
this is my NR609, my turntable t.92, and the TC-750 i just got.
i really appreciate your help guys. hopefully ill get some instructions!! thanks!:)

Hyfi
07-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Left and Right Output from Stanton to input on Pre

Then l & R Output from Pre to PC or Game input on AVR

Kursun
07-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I do have a ht receiver with phono inputs.But since I was not satisfied with its phono inputs I use a standalone Pro-Ject phono preamplifier. The main reason for my dissatisfaction was much too early roll-off of deep bass. The designer probably chose a safe approach and rolled them below 50 Hz or so. So beware of receivers with phono inputs. Even if they have one, instead of using them choose the standalone phono preamp way.

limonv
07-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Hey guys!! Well I finally plugged everything properly, but for my surprise, I'm not getting anything from the phono preamp, I've cheek everything and seems to be well set up. I tried with the phono and direct to the AVR and I'm getting the same power.
Actually, with the phono I'm just getting sound from one of the two speakers... I don't know who this might've happen... Any of you guys have any idea?? Suggestions ??
Thanks again guys, I appreciate it!!

limonv
07-14-2013, 03:20 PM
The thing about the speaker was that it wasn't connected properly, apparently my little brother managed to disconnect it. But still, I am not getting any more power with the phono preamp than withou it.
Thanks guys!!