Garrard SP 25 MK III cartridge question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Garrard SP 25 MK III cartridge question

assplode
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum. I just bought a Garrard SP 25 MK III turn table with a Solarvox receiver. This is my first turntable! It looks fabulous and quite cheap, succumbing to the temptation I break open my piggy bank and bought it home. However after I bring it home, I realised that there are some problems.

1. there is quite a bad static problem with the receiver/amp. Sometimes, it is just a slight hum, but on a bad day it can be just static and no way any music can be heard. I am quite sure it is the problem with the receiver since I tried disconnecting the turntable and listen to the radio, the problem persists.

2. The guy who sold me the turntable suggest that maybe I should change a stylus or the cartridge of the turntable, in case the old stylus scratches the records. I think currently it has a Goldring G800 cartridge. Any suggestions for an entry level cartridge that I can change to?

Many thanks

Mr Peabody
07-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Ortofon has cartridges from affordable up and I find they are good performers no matter the level.

You may have to have the receiver looked at by a technician.