Thank you SCOTUS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thank you SCOTUS

JohnMichael
06-26-2013, 07:34 AM
The Supreme Court has overturned Prop 8 and DOMA. This opens the door for Marriage Equality. Thank you to the judges who voted for equality.

Feanor
06-26-2013, 08:35 AM
The Supreme Court has overturned Prop 8 and DOMA. This opens the door for Marriage Equality. Thank you to the judges who voted for equality.
Great news, but I gather that this still leaves the definition of marriage, (including or not including same-sex), in the hands of the States. That is, States rights are still trumping human rights: way to go.

JohnMichael
06-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I am so happy today for so many that have loved one another for many years. My teenage severely bullied self is happy the world is changing for the better. Marriage equality coming to a state near you. One day all 50.

dingus
06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Great news, but I gather that this still leaves the definition of marriage, (including or not including same-sex), in the hands of the States. That is, States rights are still trumping human rights: way to go.

sort of... they'll still have to come up with a way to legislate the discrimination without violating this ruling.

dean_martin
06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
It's great news for sure!

But, I'm still disappointed with the Court's ruling on the Voting Rights Act case. The Plaintiff in the case was Shelby County, Alabama which is one of the two most conservative and non-diverse counties in Alabama (the other being Baldwin). I cringed when our state AG said it's a victory for state's rights. That's always been a cover for unfair or just bad state laws. Stringent voting requirements coming to southern states soon. In fact, our state AG said that Alabama's photo ID voter law will be in effect by the June 2014 primary.

JohnMichael
06-26-2013, 03:58 PM
It's great news for sure!

But, I'm still disappointed with the Court's ruling on the Voting Rights Act case. The Plaintiff in the case was Shelby County, Alabama which is one of the two most conservative and non-diverse counties in Alabama (the other being Baldwin). I cringed when our state AG said it's a victory for state's rights. That's always been a cover for unfair or just bad state laws. Stringent voting requirements coming to southern states soon. In fact, our state AG said that Alabama's photo ID voter law will be in effect by the June 2014 primary.

Was it not sent back to congress to have the formula updated to current standards. I did not think all was lost.

I was amazed at what they did in Alaska. They made it impossible for the Inuit people to reach their polling place. I will try to attach a link to that story.

dean_martin
06-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Was it not sent back to congress to have the formula updated to current standards. I did not think all was lost.

I was amazed at what they did in Alaska. They made it impossible for the Inuit people to reach their polling place. I will try to attach a link to that story.
The consensus among the talking heads is that Congress will not agree on anything and no new formula will be adopted. That leaves an unenforceable law on the books - no more preclearance requirement. Challenges won't be resolved until after elections and injunctions will be harder to get. We'll see if the southern states have changed from the 60s as their lily white Republican leaders claim.