Can audio signal be routed thru HDTV then to receiver instead of straight to receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can audio signal be routed thru HDTV then to receiver instead of straight to receiver

lendbz
06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Hmm i have delima, I have a receiver that only one AV input, a digital optical input , that I connect from my HDTV audio to.

Back then when i have a real receiver with multiple AV input, I can plug unit like iphone, laptop, ipad , xbox , etc with their video/audio signals to the receiver various inputs, then output the video signal to TV (doesn't need for iphone as i only need to listen to music so i dont need to plug video in. so no need to turn on TV).... that's how I used to have it set up

Now with the receiver having only one input that is being used up by the TV, can i plug all these units video/audio (iphone, laptop, box, etc) to the TV instead, and then listen to its audio by having the TV audio AV output (digital optical ) connect to the receiver? SInce now HDTV is simiilar to receiver, can have many inputs, i was wondering if i can plug all those units like iphone and xbox to the TV, and then from tv the audio output to the receiver, and the sound will still sound the same as the sound directly plug into the receiver like my old regular set up? But with this method, if i want to listen to my iphone, then i would need to turn on my HDTV first, since the audio output from my iphone will be plug into the input of the HDTV, and then to listen via my receiver/speaker systems it will be via the audio output from my TV to the receiver, would this work the same way as pluging the audio output from the iphone directly to the receiver (instead of thru HDTV first )? Would the quality of the sound be lost???

Anyway, can anyone answer this question?

If not, is there another equipment that I can purchase to make it work? All i want to do is like listen to the amplied sound when i play xbox games, listen to amplied iphone music, or laptop movie sound being amplied by the receiver when watching a movie residing on a laptop on the HDTV (its audio/video output will be connect to the hdtv input), so i guess my question is, will the audio be amplied if all these audio units are plug directly into the TV, then from TV to the receiver/amplifer which connects to my subwoofer/speakers?

One more sample would be the blue-ray player... normally it the audio output of the player would be plug into the receiver, and the video eithier to the receiver too or to the tv, but now if i plug the blue-ray directly to the TV, then the audio from TV to receiver, would the sound still sound the same and be amplied??

Of what I say above (audio plugging to HDTV (with digital tuner inside) then to receiver) would not work at all and all audio units need to be plugged directly to the receiver?

Thanks!

sorry i am a newbie to all these... would this plugging into TV first then to receiver method degrade the quality of the sound compared to plugging it directly to the receiver instead?

THe receiver i am using is a sharp HT-X1 .

Edit: I was just told a lot depends on how sophisticated your HDTV is some bargain basement HDTV's will not forward any signal at all; some will do a stereo signal and some hi-end HDTV's will do everything an AV receiver can do...one indicator is how many audio outs the HDTV has if it only has one optical out or one RCA digital out that is not a good sign; sophisticated HDTV's will have many audio outs including multi channel audio analog out's and often times HDMI out....

my HDTV is sharp aquos HDTV 35", it got a few digital opticial audio out, hdmi, will that brand make of HDTV forward all the signals???? it is a good brand no?

markw
06-22-2013, 04:53 PM
If you're talking two channel audio, then you should be fine using that digital optical link.

If you're talking digital multi-channel, then you are most likely out of luck.

The way most HDTVs work, unless the multi-channel signal was generated from within the TV itself (from it's internal ATSC tuner), any multi-channel audio fro an external source is "down-converted" into 2 channel PCM, no matter how it enters the TV.

I've heard tell there are some exceptions that will do what you want, so you need to check the owners manual vewy, vewy cawfully before making a purcasing decision if this is a critical issue.

lendbz
06-22-2013, 05:24 PM
If you're talking two channel audio, then you should be fine using that digital optical link.

not sure if it's two channel audio or multi channel?? we will mostly be plugging in "iphone for music, laptop for netflix, and xbox for gaming"
those are 2 channel audio???

as for dvd player/blueray, i guess they are not? right? so i can unplug the audio from tv to receiver and plug from blueray player straight to the receiver.

markw
06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
What receiver do you have?

lendbz
06-23-2013, 04:46 PM

The way most HDTVs work, unless the multi-channel signal was generated from within the TV itself (from it's internal ATSC tuner), any multi-channel audio fro an external source is "down-converted" into 2 channel PCM, no matter how it enters the TV.

I've heard tell there are some exceptions that will do what you want, so you need to check the owners manual vewy, vewy cawfully before making a purcasing decision if this is a critical issue.

My receiver is hybrid dvd player/receiver, it is a sharp ht-x1,
Sharp HT-X1 DVD Home Theater Audio System - 5.1 Dolby Digital,Slot loading Disc,Wall mountable at TigerDirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1650422)
it can take either digital optical input or one RCA audio L/R input.

My TV is a LC32D47UT HDTV , does that model "down-convert" any multi-channel audio from an external source into 2 channel PCM, or stays as multi-channel audio so when outoutted from the digital output from the TV to the digital optical input of the receiver, nothing is lose? and if it does downgrade to a 2 channel PCM, how apparent/differences is the audio when the digital audio is connect to the receiver directly, or connect to the TV first, then digitial optical out to a receiver?

what type of unit has multi-channel audio????? ..... blue-ray? i mostly just connect my laptop, xbox, iphone, blue-ray player.... dvdplayer..

Smokey
06-23-2013, 09:55 PM
i mostly just connect my laptop, xbox, iphone, blue-ray player.... dvdplayer..

Are any those inputs to TV will be analog (RCA/1/8 headphono jack output)?

If they are, then I don't think the sound will be routed thru TV's digital out. The only way it would work is if your TV have analog audio output.

E-Stat
06-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Hmm i have delima, I have a receiver that only one AV input, a digital optical input , that I connect from my HDTV audio to...Now with the receiver having only one input that is being used up by the TV, can i plug all these units video/audio (iphone, laptop, box, etc) to the TV instead, and then listen to its audio by having the TV audio AV output (digital optical ) connect to the receiver?
Yes, that's the way I run the bedroom system.

Blu Ray player-->HDMI-->TV
HD Cable box-->HDMI-->TV

TV optical out --> Optical digital input of NAD T763 receiver.

TV handles switching of video based sources. Receiver stays parked to video input. I also connect my iPhone to receiver via 1/8" to RCA cable. For iPhone or tuner source, I switch receiver input to appropriate source.

lendbz
07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Are any those inputs to TV will be analog (RCA/1/8 headphono jack output)?

If they are, then I don't think the sound will be routed thru TV's digital out. The only way it would work is if your TV have analog audio output.

hello, this is the rear of my sharp LC-32D47UT HDTV and the rear of my receiver/amp

so...

Smokey
07-03-2013, 08:01 PM
hello, this is the rear of my sharp LC-32D47UT HDTV and the rear of my receiver/amp

so...

Since your TV have analog audio output, you're good to go. Connect TV output to amplifier's aux input and any audio input to Tv will be routed thru [anlog] audio output, including from HDMI input.

Also make sure to go to TV's audio onscreen menu and choose Fixed audio output option (if there is such an option). This way you can control audio volume from the amp.

lendbz
07-04-2013, 02:17 AM
Since your TV have analog audio output, you're good to go. Connect TV output to amplifier's aux input and any audio input to Tv will be routed thru [anlog] audio output, including from HDMI input.

Also make sure to go to TV's audio onscreen menu and choose Fixed audio output option (if there is such an option). This way you can control audio volume from the amp.

What about the digitial optical output? is it useful for anything? I don't use cable, only xbox or netflix or just regular channel, would the digitial optical output be useful at all for the receiver digigital input? or maybe i should just put the blue-ray digitial output into the amp/reeiver instead?

Mark of Cenla
07-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Your TV seems to have may inputs, and you can run the TV sound through your sound system, so it will work. However, the sound would be better if all the audio could be sent to the receiver. Peace and goodwill.