Marantz SR5007 or SR6007? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz SR5007 or SR6007?

taigovinda
06-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I have a Marantz SR8000 that has been cutting in and out for about 10 years... normally it doesn't do this as long as I leave it turned on continuously. But recently I moved and we lose power once in awhile - then it takes a few days for the receiver to recover. It has already been to two repair shops that could not replicate the problem, so I am looking for a new one.

I see the SR5007 ($600) and SR6007 ($900) - would those have comparable sound quality to my old receiver if I hook up my speakers (Paradigm Monitor 7's and Outlaw LFM1-plus)? Would the SR6007 be noticeably better? The only difference in features I can see is that it seems like bluetooth is built into the 6007, though I'm not positive about that really.

Thanks for any advice.

Tai

harley .guy07
06-17-2013, 07:21 PM
I would look at both and see the difference in features and if the features of the 5007 have everything you want or need and there is nothing that the 6007 does that would make you want to move up to it then I would go with the 5007. Most receivers in the same series usually have the same chip sets or the same series of chip sets for home theater and video switching and they also have the same amplifier sections with small changes in order to make an extra 10 or 15 watts per channel just like these two seem to have. I don't see anything that would make the 6007 sound any better than the 5007 in fact they should sound identical. I am not a fan of buying the biggest receiver most companies offer because it usually does not do much more that is worth the price to the normal every day workings of the receiver. In fact without going to separate preamp processor and power amp I would not go much past the $600 point myself. For about the same money as these companies want for their flagship receiver you can buy a preamp processor that will sound better and a power amp that will wipe up the floor with the amp section in any receiver out there.

taigovinda
06-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. If I am going to go for one of those then, I will definitely do the 5007 resting assured that the sound quality will be similar or identical.

I have a follow-up question also, further to your comments about wiping up the floor... Right now I have my SR8000, Paradigm Monitor 7's and center channel, and Outlaw LFM Plus in my living room. And I have an Outlaw RR2150 driving Paradigm mini monitors in my bedroom. Mostly I listen to music but also watch some movies in the livingroom. My livingroom is about 20 x 30 with vaulted ceiling; ultimately I would like to have more speakers and bigger/better sound in there and sound in some of the other rooms in the house that have nothing right now. I don't know much about the possibilities but maybe the source (and power?) could come from a centralized location. Is there a smarter move that might cost more but would fit better into a long-term scheme, or should I just figure if I upgraded later then the SR5007 would go to a different room and be an independent system? If there is a smarter move, would it make my Monitor 7's sound better or would those need to be upgraded next to realize much of a benefit in the livingroom?

Thanks!
Tai

harley .guy07
06-18-2013, 04:43 PM
If that is that case I would look at the Marantz pre/pros. They are preamps and processors in the same case that would work for all of your needs. They also feature multi room so that you could possibly have audio in other rooms that you could control. With that big of a room I would seriously think about this option because it allows you to hook up outboard external amplifiers to this unit so that you could get the advantages of separate power amps into the mix. What that means is that you could choose a huge multichannel amplifier with several hundred watts per channel for the big room and smaller amps for the other rooms. For that size of a room I would never suggest a receiver, they just do not have the ability to come up with enough current to power multiple channels and the speakers to go with it for a room that size. Yeah you could do it but once you heard a good preamp processor running a good multi channel amp with a good power supply to power all the speakers to their needed power I doubt you would ever give a receiver the time of day. You have to understand that the main focus of a receiver is the options and the surround sound, then they see what they can do for the power amp section and still keep the unit within the profit margins allowed. I have owned Paradigm Monitor 7's before I got the Dynaudio drug and they are good speakers for the money and do very well at home theater. I would really look at your options with a preamp processor and separate power amps and it will open up a new world of options for you

harley .guy07
06-18-2013, 04:46 PM
oh by the way there are several people on here that use preamp processors from different companies form Onkyo Integra to Marantz so they might have more of an insight into their options and advantages. I am mostly a stereo guy which is why my 2 channel setup is way more high end than my home theater.

harley .guy07
06-18-2013, 04:55 PM
I did some checking and I will mention one other option which I use myself and will allow you to upgrade in the future and do it as money and time allows. I noticed that the 5007 has multi channel preamp outputs on it. You could use this unit to power a power amp or several power amps for your bigger room and then use the existing channels that are in the receiver for multi room capability that you were speaking of. That would allow you to have the power that will make your 20 X 30 room have enough power for its needs and also allow to power other rooms for audio. That would be a way to do it and not be out as much money. I am sorry I did not notice this option before. There are so many receivers out there that do not offer preamp outputs that I just did not notice that these two had them.

taigovinda
06-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all this to me.

Maybe I should stick with what I have and put up with the cutting out issue for awhile until I find the opportunity to splurge on the pre/pro... I remember when I upgraded from a $300 stereo-in-a-box to my current one, or more recently upgraded my subwoofer. For both the new was so far from the same league as the old, had never heard one that performed like it.

If I were to look at the long-term thing as being both a power amp and either the SR5007 ($600 inc'd power amp) or AV7005 ($1,200 with no amp), I can't see how they could perform anywhere near to each other at those price points. Am I right about this?

I like my old receiver and would see the AV7005 as an easy pick but no idea what kind of power amp I should have my eye on. Any advice on this? I couldn't see going beyond 5 channels given the shape of my living room, and Marantz has the MM7055 for $1,200. Obviously there are a lot of other companies out there, but the other one I would know to think of on my own is Outlaw (Products (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html)). I like their sub a lot and find their stereo receiver is high quality but not a great interface.

Would those two units (pre/pro and power amp) be all I would need, and just add power amps and speakers for other rooms down the road? Or did "a good preamp processor running a good multi channel amp with a good power supply" mean a third thing is needed?

I'm also thinking it's possible that the power amp section of my SR8000 is what is messed up. So maybe if I got a power amp _first_ then I could get around the issues I am currently having until I was ready to upgrade the processor. And if it did _not_ work out that way then it would still be easier to get it by the wife if I were already in for $1,200 than if I am trying to get twice that by her all at once!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Tai

taigovinda
06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Also I see accessories4less has both the AV7005 and the MM7055 refurbished at a savings of $300 to $400 off of amazon prices. Anyone have experience or opinion on Marantz factory refurbished from accessories4less?

Thanks.
Tai

taigovinda
06-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Harleyguy,

Any thoughts on my additional questions? It's my birthday and my SR8000 has been cutting out badly for about a week - so it's good timing for me to do (ie buy) something! :)

Thanks!
Tai

taigovinda
07-04-2013, 06:22 AM
I ended up getting the SR5007 due to my inability to understand which power amp to get and what other pieces I might then find out I needed. And my pocketbook was a lot more comfortable with this choice. Though I am now lusting after separates and thinking of the day when I can relocate or gift this unit :-p

I've had it for about a week now and overall it's "good enough for who it's for" as they say where I come from. Lots more features than the SR8000, but I'm pretty sure the sound quality is not quite as good as it was on my old one (when it was in the mood to make sound).

One thing that I can't seem to figure out is how to watch one of the hdmi inputs while listening to something else (eg internet radio). Not sure if that's my denseness or if it's actually designed so that you can't do it.

Tai