On vacation, Going shopping [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : On vacation, Going shopping

JohnMichael
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Yes I am finally getting a break. I decided to hit one audio store. Well I may also go to Magnolia Home Theater to hear the B&W CM150's. Of course after reading the info about the speakers I do not expect a good demo. This is why they are vented speakers.

Vented box system

Ensures adequate ventilation to keep the speaker cool

Then I wanted to drive and hear the Nola Boxer. I went to the site to find a local dealer. I entered my information to learn about my closest dealer. I do not know why but I would love to hear this speaker. I think part of it is the success they have had in the past with small speakers. I received a nice email from Marilyn Marchisotto and she told me the nearest dealer is in Fairfield, NJ. Who the hell wants to go to NJ? Really is there anything to do there of interest? Am I annoying Mark yet?

So I am going to Dayton, OH to Hanson Audio. I am amazed by the brands they carry. They have Magico speakers and Boulder electronics and they will continue to have them after I leave but there are many brands I do want to consider. They even stock Monitor Audio so maybe they can be a trade in. Oh I just thought they might have trade ins. Anyway here is a link and I look forward to hearing some different equipment. I might even be able to hear the new Thiel 1.7 speakers.

Speakers - Hi-Fi Audiophile, Home Theater Surround (http://www.hansonav.com/our-products/speakers)

JohnMichael
06-10-2013, 03:03 PM
I traveled to Genesis Audio to hear the Studio 20's and to Magnolia's to hear the B&W CM150. I have to say neither one is for me.

Genesis Audio was only interested in showing me the Studio 20's. When asked my budget I mentioned $2,000. I had never met a salesman who did not try to bump up my budget. I even asked about the Paradigms with Beryllium tweeters. He said they were nice but never offered to demo them. The budget can always be stretched but he must have made a judgement and did not want to spend time on me. No I did not take a stack of show tunes.

Then I went to Magnolia/Best Buy to hear the B&W CM150. The salesman was nice and tried to be helpful. He told me if they did not work in my system I could return them without a restocking fee. He tried to sound like an audiophile.

The sound of the Studio 20's was interesting. The lower frequencies were warm and detailed. Then when the higher notes were being handled by the tweeter they lightened and brightened. I had not heard a speaker that changed character to my ears as much as the Paradigm Studio 20's did. That is not a problem with my other three pairs of speakers. I am not saying they are better they just do not change character like the Studio 20's.

The B&W CM150's were a little thin and bright. Judging by how they were hooked up I doubt if I heard them at their best. I was surprised how small they were but I thought they looked bigger in pictures. The 150's build quality did not seem in the same league as the Paradigm's. I doubt if I return to hear any of them again.

LeRoy
06-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Well, at least you're getting the curiosity satisfied while out touring the countryside. I have yet to hear a CM series speaker from B&W that has impressed. So, what else do you have on your must listen to list?

Jack in Wilmington
06-10-2013, 05:52 PM
What happened to Hanson Audio, that seemed like a very promising shop. They didn't have any Revel's or PMC's to listen to at Genesis Audio?

JohnMichael
06-10-2013, 05:58 PM
What happened to Hanson Audio, that seemed like a very promising shop. They didn't have any Revel's or PMC's to listen to at Genesis Audio?

I did not see any Revel or PMC speakers. They had Paradigm and Martin Logan but he kept on the Paradigm and never showed me even the Motion speakers. We had some hard rains today and it was tough going 40 minutes to Columbus so I have not made the trip to Dayton over 2 hours away. Two more days to make the trip. Of course what I heard today is making my speakers sound better.

Jack in Wilmington
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
That's funny cause Genesis's website says they sell Revel and PMC. I know how Mr. P feels about his Revel's. Looks like they need to work on a new web page. Well hopefully Hanson will have something to get your toes tapping. The weather has been terrible, it rained buckets this afternoon. I was out in it shopping for a new cell phone.

JohnMichael
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Well, at least you're getting the curiosity satisfied while out touring the countryside. I have yet to hear a CM series speaker from B&W that has impressed. So, what else do you have on your must listen to list?

I really want to hear the Nola Boxer but no dealers in Ohio. Hanson has many interesting speaker brands like Dynaudio that I have always wanted to hear.

When I arrived home I had to relisten to my speakers. I brought out the RS6's which have sounded thin in the past. Tonight I am listening to them single wired with Ultralink stranded cables. They have regained some warmth and oddly deeper bass. Whenever I single wire the RS6's I use the upper speaker binding posts. The upper binding posts takes care of the upper driver and tweeter and the links only transmit signal to the lower bass driver.

I want something better than different so as I shop I am checking what my speakers are capable of doing.

JohnMichael
06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
That's funny cause Genesis's website says they sell Revel and PMC. I know how Mr. P feels about his Revel's. Looks like they need to work on a new web page. Well hopefully Hanson will have something to get your toes tapping. The weather has been terrible, it rained buckets this afternoon. I was out in it shopping for a new cell phone.

Genesis was the kind of shop where they were not interested in selling a measly pair of speakers and they have no stock. If I wanted them they would have had to order them. This is part of the reason people order on-line with a return policy.

JohnMichael
06-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Oh and I have read about the new Magneplanar MMG Super. Maybe I need screens.

JohnMichael
06-11-2013, 05:34 AM
As much as I complain about none of my speakers being good at holding my interest long term there are traits about all of them I like. I have reached the realization that if I truly want something better I need to set my budget higher. I do not think a speaker in the $2,000 range will truly surpass what I already own. Of course only hearing two speakers yesterday at the $1,500 price range I knew they would be different but my fear is to buy another pair of speakers that will just be rotated in the mix.

Jack in Wilmington
06-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Don't get discouraged JM, lets wait till you hear some $2000 speakers and then see what your opinion is. Dynaudio and some of the other at Hanson make very nice speakers. I've been listening to my Usher setup a lot lately because I've been spinning SACD's but I still go back to my Dynaudios when I fire up the 2 channel rig.

JohnMichael
06-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Don't get discouraged JM, lets wait till you hear some $2000 speakers and then see what your opinion is. Dynaudio and some of the other at Hanson make very nice speakers. I've been listening to my Usher setup a lot lately because I've been spinning SACD's but I still go back to my Dynaudios when I fire up the 2 channel rig.

I am only discouraged by the difficulty of finding good places to listen to audio equipment. I remember when we had a decent audio shop here in town and four or five in Columbus along with some chain electronic stores. So far I have found one plus a gentleman who sells audio out of his home. There may be more but I have not found them yet. I have been trying to find someone to make the 4+ hour round trip to watch me obsess over this hobby.

I was listening to the RS6's and made the mistake of playing a recording of a string quartet I listened to on the Studio 20's. There was no body to the cello thru the RS6's. The MoFi OML1's are much fuller in the midbass. They know what a cello sounds like. I may pop out the bass driver in both speakers to see if they are wired correctly.

In some ways I am missing the sound of the Paradigm Studio 20's. The string tones were excellent. I am thinking now the Studio 20's may deserve a second listen.

harley .guy07
06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Yeah I looked at Usher speakers before getting my Dynaudio and they were one of my choices before I got the "Dynaudio sickness". But I am glad I did because I love the sound of Dynaudios. I used to sell Paradigm and B&W in the 90's and i worked with the first couple of generations of Paradigm Monitor and Studio and B&W's 600 and c series and some 800. I have heard most of these models extensively and they all are good at some things and bad at others but these two companies have a brightness issue that seems to follow the fact that they both use metal dome tweeters with the exception of the newer 800 series B&W which I believe use diamond which I have not heard yet.

LeRoy
06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I have been trying to find someone to make the 4+ hour round trip to watch me obsess over this hobby.

JM, is there an audio society in your area that you can hook up with? I am about to join the local audio society as there are about 200+ members and have a growing membership in the area. These loco guys meet regularly and sell and swap gear within the group like there is no tomorrow. I think this is the way to review so many types of gear and make new buds in the process.

JohnMichael
06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Yes I think I am a silk and paper guy. The MoFi OML1's are silk and paper and the MA RS 6's are all metal drivers. Dynaudio and Sonus Faber Venere are speakers I will need to hear. The Studio 20's did a great job with cellos but the RS 6's left them thin and lightweight. The OML1's do a better job with cellos both in weight and texture. In my price range I will avoid metal drivers. Of course this means I also need to hear the Nola Boxer and avoid the KEF LS50's.

harley .guy07
06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Yes I think I am a silk and paper guy. The MoFi OML1's are silk and paper and the MA RS 6's are all metal drivers. Dynaudio and Sonus Faber Venere are speakers I will need to hear. The Studio 20's did a great job with cellos but the RS 6's left them thin and lightweight. The OML1's do a better job with cellos both in weight and texture. In my price range I will avoid metal drivers. Of course this means I also need to hear the Nola Boxer and avoid the KEF LS50's.

Yeah for years I played with speakers that used metal drivers for all or at least the tweeter and while they were good at some things I learned that the soft dome tweeters just give me better overall highs that do not get fatiguing to me over listening for a long time. I have tried to listen to Paradigms and B&W's for long periods and they just tire me out. My ears are way to sensitive to high frequencies to mess with metal domes in the price class that I am currently in due to budget. If I ever strike it rich some day and my price class changes then that might change but otherwise I don't see me going up much over the 5 to 7 k mark for speakers in my lifetime.

blackraven
06-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Its too bad that you can't hear the Salk Song Towers. They have a sweet midrange, good bass and a non fatiguing tweeter.

Mr Peabody
06-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Shopping can be fun but shops have definitely dropped in number. Anxious to hear what you think of the Dynaudio, I'm still a fan. It would also be interesting to see what you thought of Maggies. I still prefer the bass response of a good box, and I'm sure some might disagree but I've yet to hear a sub blend to where the presentation was natural sounding to me.

Worth noting I have performa 2 series, now there are Performa 3 which are quite different sounding IMO

JohnMichael
06-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Shopping can be fun but shops have definitely dropped in number. Anxious to hear what you think of the Dynaudio, I'm still a fan. It would also be interesting to see what you thought of Maggies. I still prefer the bass response of a good box, and I'm sure some might disagree but I've yet to hear a sub blend to where the presentation was natural sounding to me.

Worth noting I have performa 2 series, now there are Performa 3 which are quite different sounding IMO

Shopping can be fun if your salesman is enthusiastic. The guy at Genesis was not. We had a shop called Progressive Audio that before it went Home Theater was a great place to shop. One of the things they enjoyed doing was have you listen to their cost no object system. They wanted you to hear the best to calibrate your ears and then listen to speakers and find the ones that to your ears gave you as much of what is important to you. It seems like only wanting a pair of speakers is a waste of their time.

Oh well the Studio 530's are a very enjoyable listen. They bridge the gap between the lean RS6's and the warm OML 1's.

harley .guy07
06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
The more you talk about the sound you like to here in your system the more I think you might really like the Dynaudio sound. they are not fatiguing in any way but they are detailed as well, much more than you would think possible for a speaker as non fatiguing as they are especially in the treble which is where most speakers in our price range seem to find most of their harshness. My Dynaudio's aren't the higher end models and still they do not seem to be outclassed by the fact that I have a $5,000 retail amp on them. Which to me says a lot. Yes I could do better by moving up the Dynaudio line and I do plan to in the future but after buying My Pass amp and finishing my new music server and new DAC I have promised my wife I will hold off on any more big audio purchases until after I finish my degree and start working full time. I think that is fair and really after setting up the music server and after the fact that the NuWave DAC totally brought out the low end of my speakers I can say that I am really happy with it right now. If you get the chance I would try to hear some Dynaudio. I know with a 2k budget you are most likely going to have to stay in the excite series new but if you shopped used you might be able to pull off the focus series or one of the larger audience series that are now discontinued. There are a lot of people that have kind of forgot the audience series because they are not part of their new lineup but I can say that they are very accomplished speakers for their price range and especially if they can be found used in good condition you can really pick something up good for a good price seeing that even the audience series floorstanders started at over 1k when they were new and that was around 1999 year 2000.

JohnMichael
06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
The budget I mentioned to the salesman was on the low side but probably not over $3,000. I am so used to being upsold that I did not expect him to show me one speaker and stop at that point. When I go to Hanson's in Dayton I will listen to Dynaudio. Of course I will listen to as many speakers as they will demonstrate. I may even ask to hear Magico speakers since their entry level is only $12,000.

dean_martin
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
JM, I took the family to Denver one time. After doing everything for the kids and wife, I slipped off on the last day to audition some gear. I almost caused us to miss our return flight. But, I heard Quick Silver, Rega, ARC, Maggies, PSB and others for the first time.

I know what you mean about wanting to hear the Boxers. The most impressive thing I've heard was a Jolida amp driving a pair of standmount Nolas. I think they were Napoleons at that time. I have the amp, but I thought I could substitute for the Nolas for less money. I wound up with a very nice pair of Soliloquy 5.0i anniversary edition at a nice price. But I'm still not over the Nolas.

Jack in Wilmington
06-13-2013, 05:19 PM
There is a beautiful pair of Contour S1.4's on Audiogon now going for $1995. They retail for $3900. There's a pair of speakers you can live with and sell the other three pairs and be happy.

JohnMichael
06-13-2013, 05:49 PM
JM, I took the family to Denver one time. After doing everything for the kids and wife, I slipped off on the last day to audition some gear. I almost caused us to miss our return flight. But, I heard Quick Silver, Rega, ARC, Maggies, PSB and others for the first time.

I know what you mean about wanting to hear the Boxers. The most impressive thing I've heard was a Jolida amp driving a pair of standmount Nolas. I think they were Napoleons at that time. I have the amp, but I thought I could substitute for the Nolas for less money. I wound up with a very nice pair of Soliloquy 5.0i anniversary edition at a nice price. But I'm still not over the Nolas.

The Nola Boxer's I am drawn to since all the positive reviews I have read about the speakers. From the Alon time to Nola I have read about the musicality and not the high fidelity. Marilyn told me a pair had never been returned.

JohnMichael
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
There is a beautiful pair of Contour S1.4's on Audiogon now going for $1995. They retail for $3900. There's a pair of speakers you can live with and sell the other three pairs and be happy.

I would need to see them, hear them and touch them before my wallet would open. Sadly for various reasons I have trust issues. Buying used, not in person, would be painfully difficult for me.

Mr Peabody
06-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Dynaudio and Krell are a good match IMO. Bobsticks got to hear my combo when I had them. If buying used the Audience 52se is a great speaker but the Contour 1.3se or Special 25 is even better. When Dynaudio puts "se" on the end, or makes a special model it's definitely special. The "se" versions typically have the next higher series tweeter amongst other tweaks.

Although the original Focus series had a bit unique sound, still Dynaudio but a darker type sound. I really liked the 110's and wish I had a place to stash a set. The new Focus is outstanding. I haven't heard much of the Excite, and none of the brand new Excite but these may be more in JM's price new.

Jack in Wilmington
06-14-2013, 05:26 AM
I'm hoping that he likes the Focus 160, as I'm thinking that might be the extent of his budget, but those Contour S1.4's would be a nice grab. I know that you should listen to equipment before buying, but with buying on Audiogon, you don't always have that option.

Mr Peabody
06-14-2013, 06:31 AM
In addition, it's a buyer's market and deals can be had on Audiogon for less than listed, however, if you do get something you aren't satisfied with it can be a hassle to flip and often times a loss. As much as many of us are Dynaudio fans, it's not a guarantee for JM. As an example, Frenchie isn't a big fan, but after all these years I have yet been able to pinpoint what moves Frenchie, LOL. Neither of us are impressed by Sonus Faber, for me not that I dislike them, just didn't do anything for me either.

It's a shame Nola isn't more widely distributed, they were on my list back when I still had my CJ gear and looking for something different. I'd still like to hear them. Harbeth makes a nice monitor, although IMO think they are over priced which puts them in a league with some tough competition along with not being the best of values.

Jack in Wilmington
06-14-2013, 07:40 AM
There is also a nice looking pair of Nola Boxers on Audiogon, but they're located in Canada and I'm not sure what that does to the shipping costs.

Like you, I'm not sure what drives Frenchie either. I've never been to a dealer that carries Canton, but from what I've read, they are excellent speakers. I find SF to be very dependent on upstream electronics. I've heard them sound dull and unengaging and also at other times very dynamic. I'll bet you Pass Labs could shake the cobwebs off a pair.

JohnMichael
06-14-2013, 08:18 AM
As far as speakers are concerned the most I have spent for speakers I had not heard before was the OML1's at $650. When I withdraw $2,000 or more from an account I will need to hear the speaker multiple times. Had I ever heard a Dynaudio speaker before I might consider them.

harley .guy07
06-14-2013, 12:35 PM
. I'll bet you Pass Labs could shake the cobwebs off a pair.

I think you might be right. As being the owner of the baby of the same series as Mr. P's amp except the .5 which for the 150 adds a lot but I would think would have the same basic qualities of his 250. I would think if the SF's are any good the Pass amps would bring it out. I have loved mine and even though I have the Dyn audience series the Pass brings out more in them than I have ever heard before and probably more than I have personally ever heard in a speaker in their price class. I have heard these speakers with CJ, and also with my system as it has grown over the last few years and it is better now than I could of imagined it could have ever been without a major speaker upgrade.

JohnMichael
06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Even though I did not like the Paradigm Studio 20's enough to purchase them they did teach me something. I have often found the RS6's thin sounding and I attributed that to metal drivers. The Studio 20's with their aluminum woofers sounded full and warm with good weight to the cello of the string quartet I had played. Once I was home I pulled out the RS6's.

I placed the RS6's in their usual place. At that point all that thin sound was back and I was missing the Studio 20's and some midbass. I was going to return the JBL's back in place so I pulled the RS6's forward while still playing since the piece was almost over. All of a sudden it was like someone turned a contour level. The bottom end filled in nicely. They were out further in the room than I would like visually but the sound speaks for itself.

I keep waiting for something to happen since several times in the past I thought I had achieved good sound. They had never sounded this good. Imaging is better and I think being out in the room more I have much less early reflections. Since the speakers are now closer to my chair the direct sound reaches me quicker than any reflections. If I had good sense I would be embarrassed that it took me so long to have them sounding good. I guess my design interests interfered with good audio experimentation with placement.

blackraven
06-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Glad to hear that you have them sounding good. I always wondered about the fact that you found the RS6's thin in the midarange. My Monitor Audio S1's have a nice full, slightly warmer midrange. But the S1's are bookshelfs and 1 generation removed from the RS's.

harley .guy07
06-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Sometimes it takes little movements to make the difference. I have moved my Dyns several times and have had multiple results. Right now I have them set at I believe to be the best I have found yet and I am happy with the results. It is funny how a perosn gets frustrated with a speaker or component and later find that a simple movement or a cable change can make that same component sound the way you wanted it to in the first place. It is nice to hear that you got them in the right spot in your room and now I am anxious to hear how they compare to the JBL's now that you have them in a position that more benefits their capability.

Mr Peabody
06-20-2013, 06:27 PM
I've only heard the RS-6 once and a dealer here has the Gold series, IMO Monitor has good bass response and detail but the mids and highs would fatigue me. This may be minimized with careful electronics and cable matching, and it's to the listener's taste but my ears aren't a good match for them. With that being said it's not like they would drive you out of the room, they are very listenable, even with the criticism I would prefer them over some other name brands, and that Gold model at $5k really sounds like a bargain at that price.

JohnMichael
06-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Now that they are sounding good in my room I am feeling better about my listening skills. I had auditioned them in the dealers large showroom and liked them. Purchased them and over time became less enchanted. Heard another speaker that made me wonder where the midbass was? I moved the speakers around to mimic the midbass of the recent audition. All of a sudden it all came together.

I was listening again this morning before work. I would have stayed home and listened to music all day. Who knew I had good sounding speakers at home.

frenchmon
06-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Wow! Nice read JM....you been drinking again? I see you are thinking about a purchase...

Well the best way you are going to get the best speaker for yourself is to get that bad boy in your place for a while and take a listen. Everything in the store is going to affect the sound of the speaker. While listening in stores you have to wonder about the character of the speaker and how you think it might sound with your gear.

Peabody and Jack...I dont want boring....I dont want fatigue....I want a sound thats able to deleiver the music as if its in the natural world. A piano had to be tonally correct in my system. Just like everything has to be tonally correct. us audiophiles think about the upper end, mids and bass, yes it has to be right but I want the gear to get out of the way of the music. And the most important thing...while some people want the most transparent sound possible...which is a great thing....it better not be sterile...at least not in my room. Give me a system and speakers that can deliever the emtion and romance. JM make sure the speakers have life man...not boaring. What got me was you said the Paradigm you dont like...... but I think you sorta really do......there is something about them you do like...and I suspect you like the fact they are not boring speakers.....Paradigms signature is a lively sound which I like. And I think you do as well. Now Paradigms do have a more reference speaker the Signature series, and they have that new Anniversary series...the book shelves may be in your budget it you go up to 3k. I suspect you are going for speakers for life here. It would be interesting to see what they sound like in your room.

JohnMichael
06-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow! Nice read JM....you been drinking again? I see you are thinking about a purchase...

Of course I am drinking again. They found some blood in my alcohol system. I was speaker shopping and I heard a speaker I liked but was not crazy about. It did have some fullness in the mid bass that the MA RS6's was lacking. I arrived home and gave the RS6's a listen with a string quartet I heard through the other speakers. I had the Studio 530's pushed off to the side and decided to give them center stage. I first pulled the RS6's forward to place the stands in the same place as the other holes in the carpet. I noticed a fuller balanced sound with the speakers in front of my equipment rack. Once the RS6's were well in front of the equipment rack the balance and imaging were impressive.

Finally I am enjoying the speakers I have owned for several years. No need for new speakers but I am going to an art show Sunday and I may need a new piece after discovering happiness with speakers I already own.

Refill please!

frenchmon
06-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Of course I am drinking again. They found some blood in my alcohol system. I was speaker shopping and I heard a speaker I liked but was not crazy about. It did have some fullness in the mid bass that the MA RS6's was lacking. I arrived home and gave the RS6's a listen with a string quartet I heard through the other speakers. I had the Studio 530's pushed off to the side and decided to give them center stage. I first pulled the RS6's forward to place the stands in the same place as the other holes in the carpet. I noticed a fuller balanced sound with the speakers in front of my equipment rack. Once the RS6's were well in front of the equipment rack the balance and imaging were impressive.

Finally I am enjoying the speakers I have owned for several years. No need for new speakers but I am going to an art show Sunday and I may need a new piece after discovering happiness with speakers I already own.

Refill please!

Is that all it took was to listen to some new speakers and do an compare with your old speakers while pulling them forward?

JohnMichael
06-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Is that all it took was to listen to some new speakers and do an compare with your old speakers while pulling them forward?

Yes I needed a new reference point. At first I thought the lack of midbass was what I was missing. When I thought the RS6's hopeless I had the JBL's on stands against the side walls and it was then I moved the RS6's out of the way. Out of the way was just right. As a decor oriented person I wanted the speakers in a place that looked good. I thought they should sound good. I had listened to them so long in the wrong that I needed to hear my music on different speakers in a different room.

They are now well in front of the equipment rack. Even though the sound improved greatly I did work with width between speakers. They are not toed-in. Since they are further into the room they are closer to my listening chair. Imaging is very good for a
tower speaker. The sound is cleaner but better detailed. I have been playing a lot of cello music. The low end was good but now that I have alleviated the midbass suckout I wish the young college women were back and I could give them something to complain about.

I need to join an audio society so I could have extra ears to evaluate my system and to hear theirs. My former neighbor with the Linn LP12 and the Snell Type A's was a good reference system

JohnMichael
06-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Now that I am happy with my speakers it is time to upgrade my cables.

Mr Peabody
06-22-2013, 12:42 PM
So the RS6's are going to be the main speakers now?

JohnMichael
06-22-2013, 01:32 PM
So the RS6's are going to be the main speakers now?

I now consider them the best of the three. Now that they are sounding good it is kind of like having new speakers. It is a difference listening to music without some nagging feeling something is wrong. I am going to enjoy this time of not changing my speakers often or the constant reading of reviews. Of course who knows what the future will bring.

LeRoy
06-22-2013, 01:56 PM
I now consider them the best of the three. Now that they are sounding good it is kind of like having new speakers. It is a difference listening to music without some nagging feeling something is wrong. I am going to enjoy this time of not changing my speakers often or the constant reading of reviews. Of course who knows what the future will bring.

JM, when speakers are placed in the right spot they seem to have the right stuff. Are you gonna leave em where they are or still try to zero them in another spot?

JohnMichael
06-22-2013, 06:08 PM
JM, when speakers are placed in the right spot they seem to have the right stuff. Are you gonna leave em where they are or still try to zero them in another spot?

I am going to leave them where they are. Once I had them out and heard the sound I did tweak a little. I just made sure both speakers were the same distance from the wall behind. For design I did place the speakers the same distance from the equipment stand. I have the distances recorded in case my housekeeper would ever move them. I am finished moving speakers, changing speakers, reading about speakers and just listen to music.

Billiam62
06-23-2013, 05:11 PM
John Michael. It sounds like you now prefer the Monitor Audio R6 speakers over the JBL 530's. Is this correct? I have read the JBL's are a bit bright on the high end though not as much as the Klipsch. In your estimation is the high end on the RS 6 speakers more neutral than the 530 speakers? I read some reviews of the BX 2 bookshelf and some people said the high end was a little bright. But reviews of the BX 1 said the high end was more laid back. I am wondering if there is a difference in the tweeter sound in some of their speakers.

JohnMichael
06-23-2013, 07:03 PM
John Michael. It sounds like you now prefer the Monitor Audio R6 speakers over the JBL 530's. Is this correct? I have read the JBL's are a bit bright on the high end though not as much as the Klipsch. In your estimation is the high end on the RS 6 speakers more neutral than the 530 speakers? I read some reviews of the BX 2 bookshelf and some people said the high end was a little bright. But reviews of the BX 1 said the high end was more laid back. I am wondering if there is a difference in the tweeter sound in some of their speakers.

I am glad to have a speaker I paid the most for sounding better. The Monitor Audio RS6 speakers are well engineered. The JBL Studio 530's are genius. I have never listened to a Klipsch speaker that I could enjoy longer than an hour. From the La Scala's on down I did not like their horn drivers. The JBL Studio 530's compression driver which operates from 1,500 Hz up is very smooth.

I have not heard the BX series but I would venture a guess that the smaller speaker with less bass would have the treble rolled off by the cross over. The designer could then balance the speaker.

The RS6's do a better job portraying the size of large orchestras and large choral groups. Two 6 inch woofers working together can do a better job than a single 5.25 woofer. As far as the high end I think the difference between the controlled dispersion of the horn and the wide dispersion of a dome can both sound good. The vertical horn of the JBL's seems to be the best focused.

frenchmon
06-24-2013, 07:39 AM
JM...I thought you had had your speakers in that position before? But I am glad you are having fun with them. IF they are back in your good graces to stay then great. New cables? Lots of choices out there for those. Yeah I know what you me wanting others to hear you system.

JohnMichael
06-24-2013, 08:32 AM
JM...I thought you had had your speakers in that position before? But I am glad you are having fun with them. IF they are back in your good graces to stay then great. New cables? Lots of choices out there for those. Yeah I know what you me wanting others to hear you system.

No they have never been out this far in the room. They are 3ft from the back wall and I wished they sounded this good about a foot back. As far as cables I was trying to stir up the cable nonbelievers. The AQ 44's are a detailed but quiet cable. The AQ Slates were far from quiet. The AQ Rocket series is very nice for the money.

Feanor
06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Humm, well, at 3 feet from the back wall you might as well audition Magneplanars while you're at it.

JohnMichael
06-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Humm, well, at 3 feet from the back wall you might as well audition Magneplanars while you're at it.

No I am going to leave well enough alone. After several years of moving speakers back and forth it is nice to sit and listen.

JohnMichael
06-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Listening to the Cowboy Junkies "The Trinity Sessions" and my system is musical, detailed and rhythmic. What a great sound and I am glad I finally found it with my system.

JohnMichael
06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I took a friend out for dinner and when we returned she came up to see where I put my new art piece. I turned the stereo on and she said wow you have surround. I smiled and said no I just have stereo. She was not used to the depth and width along with good imaging that she thought she was listening to surround.

JohnMichael
06-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Since the new placement I have lost my prejudice against metal drivers. All thinness I have complained of in the past is gone. Now after several years I am hearing these speakers at their best. Glad I did not sell or give them away.

Jack in Wilmington
06-30-2013, 07:06 PM
It shows you that all metal tweeters are not created equal. Mr. P's f52s have metal tweeters and he loves the sound.

JohnMichael
07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
It shows you that all metal tweeters are not created equal. Mr. P's f52s have metal tweeters and he loves the sound.

All drivers in the RS6 are ceramic coated aluminum magnesium. Now in their new position they sound very uniform while using the same materials from tweeter to mid/woofers.

JohnMichael
07-08-2013, 07:01 AM
It has been nice enjoying the music. As I was getting ready this morning I was listening to "Gershwin's World". Everything is sounding so good. I have had no interest in switching to my other speakers. I am glad I did not buy new speakers but discovered how good the RS6's can be. I have wanted a pair of speakers I could leave in place and enjoy long term. I had the speakers and I finally found the place. Now I need to retract every negative thing I have said about the speakers.

The combination of Marantz SA8001, Goertz TQ2 IC, Krell S-300i, Rocket 44's and Monitor Audio RS6's create a sound that is on the warm side of neutral, detailed with very good imaging. Of course the better the recording the better the sound. Of course vinyl is IMHO a step up in performance. Yes folks I am finally happy.

blackraven
07-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Congrat's on finding audio nirvana! That's quite a nice system you have there JM.

frenchmon
07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
The combination of Marantz SA8001, Goertz TQ2 IC, Krell S-300i, Rocket 44's and Monitor Audio RS6's create a sound that is on the warm side of neutral, detailed with very good imaging. Of course the better the recording the better the sound. Of course vinyl is IMHO a step up in performance. Yes folks I am finally happy.

To-shay my man....To-shay! Especially the part about vinyl!