Throw ideas at me [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Throw ideas at me

Gladzilla
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
i know i wish to use my Topping d2 as the dac for this system, which amp should i use?

I have $1200 to play with, i also need to buy speakers too.

dean_martin
06-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Ok. I'll toss an idea or two as a starting point. For $1200 you should be able to get a decent integrated amp from NAD or Cambridge Audio. With your budget you could get one in the middle of NAD and CA's range. You wouldn't have to settle for their lowest priced and powered options. You can find both lines at Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com). I've had 2 NAD integrated amps and one much older NAD receiver over the years and I bought my son a CA integrated several years ago which he still uses. It's made it through his high school and college years.

Marantz makes a line of integrateds which are generally well-regarded from what I've read. Audio Advisor may carry the Marantz line as well. BTW, I mention Audio Advisor because you can compare specs and features among all these lines. I've had nothing but good experiences with them but you may want to audition locally if you can.

If am/fm is important to you, you may want to check out stereo recevers too. Marantz makes one that I think has a phono input for a turntable if you have one. Outlaw Audio makes a nice receiver too. Go to their site or find it at Music Direct | Audiophile Hardware, Vinyl Records and Analog Gear | (800) 449-8333 (http://www.musicdirect.com) for specs and features.

All of the above suggestions can be had for about half your budget. If you need digital inputs, there are some interesting digital integrateds with class d amps out there but I'm not up to date on those.

With the rest of your budget, I think you can score some nice speakers in the $600 range. Check out the Epos line. This British speaker would probably mate well with NAD an CA amps. The Silverline Minuet Supreme is around $700 and gets a lot of praise but make sure it has the bass extension you require. If you have a sub or plan to get one then bass extension shouldn't be a problem.

Once you have an amp picked out, ask for speaker recommendations on the speaker board. Or, if you choose speakers first, follow up here for more specific amp recommendations.

blackraven
06-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Pick you speakers first and then match it to an amp.

JoeE SP9
06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Pick you speakers first and then match it to an amp.

What he said. IMO it's the only way to ensure satisfaction.

Gladzilla
06-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I've been looking at the audio source 110 is there any amp that would do better for the price?

JoeE SP9
06-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Buy the speakers first. You then buy an amplifier that will drive them properly.

blackraven
06-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I would look at the used market for older adcom, parasound or B&K amps at AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://www.audiogon.com)

02audionoob
06-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Monitor Audio speakers, as high up the line as you see fit with your budget. Run them with a Topping amp.