Let's Talk Turntables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Turntables

Mr Peabody
06-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Some time in the distant future, after I recover from my most recent purchase, buy my kids a swing set and replace or fix my fence, I would like to upgrade from my Rega P3. My budget would be around $3k, preferrably under. Most of my vinyl is Rock I collected since high school. Interestingly, I found the tables I was looking at most was on the TAS 2013 recommended list. I am/was seriously looking at the Well Tempered Amadeus but not sure if I can live without an arm lift. Next was the Kuzma Stabi w/Stogi arm, reviews seem to leave me with an impression of mystique. Pro-ject RM10.1 or Xtension 10, my impression is the RM10.1 could be better than the Xtension, also in my mind I feel Pro-ject is decent but in same price points they get bested. There is the Clear Audio Performance DC but my local dealer can't get the stock tone arm to work in their building and the more traditional arm really takes the table out of my budget. Then there is modding my current P3 or going up the Rega line. I fully intend to listen to some of these tables, and in my own system when I am actually ready to pull the trigger, I just thought it might be fun to see what you all could contribute. I have also noticed Michell Gyro and the Sota brand but no dealer in the area. Is Music Hall a contender at all with those mentioned thus far? Keep in mind what I've said are impressions and not set in stone, I am open to change :). .

JohnMichael
06-04-2013, 05:38 AM
VPI Classic 1
Avid Diva II

Two suggestions but I encourage tweaking your Rega. The Michell Texhnoweight is an incredible upgrade. Your arm has never tracked better than it will with the Technoweight. It comes with two size weights for different cartridges. Once your arm is improved the next step is a machined subplatter. The machined subplatter is slightly larger in diameter than Rega's stock subplatter. The subplatter also has a little better flywheel effect.

Now I am not sure which generation table you have. I am sure your motor is rigid mounted which is a great improvement. I would not upgrade the motor unless you wanted to change speeds with a push of a button. If you decide to upgrade the motor it can be a little tricky but I can share what I learned.

Finally if your table is not braced the Michael Lim braces are another worthwhile upgrade. His top brace is like the Rega and braces between the bearing well and tonearm. His bottom brace is different than Rega's. The bottom brace bolts to the bearing well and attaches in three places at the feet. Mr. Lim finds this strengthens the plinth without increasing mass. The quietness of the table makes me think the brace reduces bearing vibrations by distributing it to the feet.

You would be surprised how good your Rega can sound.

dean_martin
06-04-2013, 06:06 AM
With a budget of 3 grand, I would seek out the VPI Classic 1 at $2800 for an audition or just order it from some place with a generous return policy so I could try it at home. I'd be willing to eat return shipping costs if it didn't meet my expectations. The Classic caught my attention as soon as it came out.

If you can, you might want to check out Nottingham's offerings as well.

Jack in Wilmington
06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
There are so many excellent turntables in your price range, it's almost impossible not to find one you like. Dean is spot on with the VPI Classic. When I picked up my Music Hall the dealer took me over to the VPI room and showed me what I could get when I was ready to up grade. He also showed me the Acoustic Signature "The Manfred", beautiful German engineering and well worth the $2950 as it includes the arm and speed box. I figure that Frenchy will chime in with recommendations from Music Hall, but in your price range, I think Music Hall is bested by similarly priced tables.

Mr Peabody
06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Frenchie told me about the Classic amongst many others, he has his eye on the Pro-ject Xtension 10. I took time to look at the new Rega RP8 and if you haven't seen it you should read about it, a new design from Rega and looks like it may be a contender. So you understand some of my actions, I don't see well enough to set up a table myself, so I prefer to buy local where I can get support. The Rega RP8 sounds pretty easy to set up, especially if you go the extra grand to have it come with the MC cart already mounted.

Jack in Wilmington
06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
I know what you mean Mr. P, I don't see well enough or have a steady enough hand to do all the fine work to setup a table now. My local dealer will set them up for me and he has the Music Hall MMF 9.1 for $1995 without cart. or $2195 with a Goldring Eroica LX cart. installed.

02audionoob
06-05-2013, 05:17 PM
There certainly are some nice options when the budget extends to $3k. I like the Roksam Radius5 in addition to all the turntables mentioned thus far. I was at first not keen on the look of the Rega RP8, but I'm warming up to it. Thorens has a nice one at $2k.

Even though I'm very happy with my current turntable, I would have been very happy with my P5. When it comes to playing music, I'd be happy with a P3, too, but these beautiful turntables higher up the ladder are hard to pass up.

frenchmon
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Noob....I was going to recommend the Roksam Radius5 to Peabody, but I now absolutly no one who has heard one. Peabody you certainly have a lot to chose from...you and I need to take a trip...lets plain that thing so we can go listened to some tables. Harley....if you are listening...I think you are in Springfield....what tables you guys got down there? Peabody....the issue with some of the Clearaudio tables and the stock arm on the Performance DC is it has to be on a sold platform or you will get vibrations. I've read lots of Clearaudio TT reviews and that seems to be a big problems with some of the arms.....but in your case, your music room is on concrete i the basement so you wont have any problems. Right now that Clearaudio is a good choice for you....its simple in design...but still we need to take a trip one Saturday to listen to tables. As far as Music Hall/ Pro-Ject goes....especially in their more expensive tables ..MH 7.1 and up, and Pro-Ject Perspex and up....I see no problem with them. It seems more like audiopphiles dissing them for no good reason other than what others have said about them rather than listening to them. For the price points they are listed at they are very competitive and like all good gear, there still has to be synergy with your system. So I have no problem putting a Pro-ject or Music Hall TT on my list. I dont know any gear that cant be bested by something eles....thats like saying I have the best of this or that in its class....BS! Just like the Vincent gear....people where dissing it because it was made in China! I Wouldnt give a rats ass for that reson....I know I don't, as long as I know its not slave labor....has good build quality, and it sounds good. And besides...lots of gear is built in China for a very good reason...to sell excellent gear at better pricing. I will be upgrading in about a year or yeat and a half....that Pro-Ject Extension 10 is on my list. But I have to listen first. So Peabody, we have to do some traveling this summer man. Lets do it.

Mr Peabody
06-08-2013, 11:21 AM
You'd think the Clear Audio rep would know that if all was needed was a platform/isolation, instead they shipped in the other arm for the event. I thoroughly believe the Clear Audio and Musical Surroundings phono stage go hand in hand, if I ever did anything different with phono stage the MS would be top of the list. The Nova 2 is a "giant killer", I wonder if it does as well with other brands though.

I agree, as with any gear, you have to listan and make up your own mind. Some one was telling me carbon arms were not good, I can't see so many tables with them if they weren't good.

We'll have to see what brands we'd be interested in then check to see who carries them. A cool place to visit would be Acoustic Sounds in Salina, KS or go to Music Direct in Chicago. Another cool trip would be to get a group together to go to RMAF.

dean_martin
06-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Mr. P, I watched the movie Looper last night. A couple of scenes showed the Michell Gyro in action. I'm amending my comments to support your interest in said table given the aesthetics of some of your current gear. You seem to favor more modern designs rather than the old school look of the VPI Classic. I had only looked at still photos of the Gyro til seeing it in Looper. In action, it's something to behold. I received an email from The Stereo Trading Outlet (We are experts at Tube Amplifier & Turntable Repair, and Home Theater System installations. STO Sound and Vision (http://www.tsto.com)) which suggests one could be had with Michell's upgraded RB250 arm at close to your budget limit.

Mr Peabody
06-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks Deano, I'm not looking for a particular style, the WTL and Kuzma is carried by a dealer here in town, and my real draw to WTL is the large number of positive reviews/comments and I've yet to hear any negatives except no arm lift and general weirdness of it, golf ball, suspension etc.

safesphere
04-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Hi, I see you ended up with the Performance DC. Was it sounding better than your other choices listed here? Thanks!

Mr Peabody
04-10-2014, 03:12 PM
I didn't get to listen to much else but did get to hear the Concept in my own system.