Trying to be a better audiophile [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to be a better audiophile

cetrah
05-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Hello

Yeah just dipping my feet into this whole forum business. I've been what I'd call a soft audiophile for about 2 years now. Like I've purchased pretty decent headphones and I download flacs, but I want to know a lot more, specifically about what makes equipment good or bad and what equipment I need to get or upgrade to get better sound.

So I'll definitely be asking about all that once I find the right place to post it. But for now, just introducing myself.

Mr Peabody
05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the forums

harley .guy07
05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah it is great to be interested in this hobby at this time in history. We need some of the people out there that are listening to high res files with headphones to start to see what can be done with a home stereo set up it is very good in that we need this to keep this hobby alive. If you want to know what equipment is good I would start with studying what each component does for the system and how it does it. what types of these components exist and what general sound character different types of components have(even though there are exceptions to this rule). I would then look at the products that are on the market and read some literature such as an high end audio magazine to see the reviews to see what is looked for in high end audio. And the most important is to let your ears tell you what is right. You will have to learn how to judge imaging and soundstaging and overall tonal accuracy but if you to not generally enjoy the listening experience none of the matters. Let those things start you on your journey. And also if there are questions you have find the proper category and ask away.