Riddle me this.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this....

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Why do some CDs have empty tracks at the end of the disk? I've come across this twice in the last couple of months.

Chain's Reconstruct has 42 tracks on the disk of which only 17 are songs. The remaining 25 tracks are blank and are about 5 seconds each.

On Monday, I received Coheed and Cambria, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3. This disk has the same thing. There are 23 tracks of which only 11 are songs. Like Chain, the rest are blank and last a few seconds each.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is done? I find it really annoying. When I get a new CD I often put it on repeat so that I can give it a few listens. These blank tracks provide a long, annoying silence at the end of the disk. Also, even worse, if the player is on shuffle mode, these empty tracks are included in the shuffle.

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Hmmmm. I just discovered that track 23 on Coheed and Cambia is a hidden track (and one that should have stayed hidden IMHO).

Maybe I should be paying more attention to those 25 additional tracks on the Chain disk.

This does not forgive the annoyance factor. :mad:

Dave_G
04-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Hon,

it's the music you listen to, darlin.

Can those and get some Stranglers cd's.

Ahha hha ha ha ha tee hee

Actually I have a Marillion that does that and a Jethro Tull I think.

Dave

newtrix1
04-21-2004, 01:19 PM
to get me to stop playing their albums in shuffle mode. It's not working.

Finch Platte
04-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Why do some CDs have empty tracks at the end of the disk? I've come across this twice in the last couple of months.

Chain's Reconstruct has 42 tracks on the disk of which only 17 are songs. The remaining 25 tracks are blank and are about 5 seconds each.

On Monday, I received Coheed and Cambria, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3. This disk has the same thing. There are 23 tracks of which only 11 are songs. Like Chain, the rest are blank and last a few seconds each.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is done? I find it really annoying. When I get a new CD I often put it on repeat so that I can give it a few listens. These blank tracks provide a long, annoying silence at the end of the disk. Also, even worse, if the player is on shuffle mode, these empty tracks are included in the shuffle.

Is burn copies of the disc without the spaces. Then hand out copies to all your friends. It's what the artists intend for you to do.

fp

Dusty Chalk
04-21-2004, 07:18 PM
What Finsh shed -- retrack them and burn them yourself. I've taken to doing that.