NAD VS Harman/Kardon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD VS Harman/Kardon

venndi
05-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Hello!

Which is better?NAD 320BEE or Harman/Kardon HK-970?
Thanks.

Feanor
05-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Hello!

Which is better?NAD 320BEE or Harman/Kardon HK-970?
Thanks.
I can't say which is "better" -- that depends on your needs, but here are a couple things to consider:

The HK is a discontinued model; the HK 3390 might be considered it successor
The HK has as built in phono preamp but the NAD apparently does not: if you have vinyl (LPs) this is a major consideration

I might the current HK 3390 over the NAD. it has a bit more power at 80 wpc vs. 50 for the NAD, and provides for very basic video swithing via Composite inputs/output whereas the NAD does not.

But rather than either the NAD or the HK I prefer the Outlaw 2150R which has both a phono preamp and digital inputs. It's also more powerful at 100 wpc. Importantly, it has a subwoofer output and selectable low-pass filter. Check out 2150R HERE (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150_about.html).

http://www.outlawaudio.com/images/RR2150front.jpg

venndi
05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
I can't say which is "better" -- that depends on your needs, but here are a couple things to consider:

The HK is a discontinued model; the HK 3390 might be considered it successor
The HK has as built in phono preamp but the NAD apparently does not: if you have vinyl (LPs) this is a major consideration

I might the current HK 3390 over the NAD. it has a bit more power at 80 wpc vs. 50 for the NAD, and provides for very basic video swithing via Composite inputs/output whereas the NAD does not.

But rather than either the NAD or the HK I prefer the Outlaw 2150R which has both a phono preamp and digital inputs. It's also more powerful at 100 wpc. Importantly, it has a subwoofer output and selectable low-pass filter. Check out 2150R HERE (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150_about.html).

http://www.outlawaudio.com/images/RR2150front.jpg
Wow man thanks for the answer. I have never heard about outlaw :) I have no LP. I dont know, it is smart thing, bought amp with radio? I am not a fancier, but i have heard the amps with am/fm always have worse noise, than amps without am/fm...sorry for bad english

blackraven
05-14-2013, 08:14 PM
The Outlaw is a well reviewed receiver with excellent sound for the price. I would take it over both the NAD and HK.

Feanor
05-15-2013, 04:38 AM
Wow man thanks for the answer. I have never heard about outlaw :) I have no LP. I dont know, it is smart thing, bought amp with radio? I am not a fancier, but i have heard the amps with am/fm always have worse noise, than amps without am/fm...sorry for bad english
Contrary to what you might have heard, the FM/AM radio usually doesn't usually affect the noise level to any significant extent in half-decent receivers.

"Receivers" are just integrated amplifiers with a radio receiver built in. If you don't listen to FM/AM, then look for an integrated amplifier instead of a receiver. As for stereo, (that is, 2 channel), nowadays there is a much larger selection of integrated amplifiers than receivers. There is an integrated to suit every budget and they a have a wide array of features depending on the model. For a good idea of what is available, check out Audio Advisor's offerings HERE (http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=9).

You might consider a multi-channel AV receiver; you can use an AV receiver for stereo of course, and there is a very large selection in virtually every price range. All AV receivers have digital inputs, whereas only a minority of integrated amps have these. The down-side of AV receivers is that they tend to be larger, heavier, and slightly more expensive for given power levels than stereo-only units.

drunken yoda
05-24-2014, 11:53 AM
I have 4 amps and 3 sets of speakers...

I have a NAD T 753, A Harmon Kardon AVR 75, a Harmon Kardon AVR 135 and an AMC 3025A, The speakers I have are two sets of JPW ML 110 and a set of Bose 901 series 2, with no EQ....

Any suggestions as to pairings, and ranking of quality from best to worst? One room is large, 14 x 17 feet, the other rooms are small, the big room will be playing vinyl from time to time, and I would prefer to keep a set of JPW in there on the book shelves... but the small room is where I want the best sound...

These are just for music, not movies, and I have neighbors, so it doesn't get terribly loud except for the small room where I want the best sound...

JoeE SP9
05-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Why don't you try various combinations and decide for yourself. That's what it's going to come down to anyway. There's no point in putting off the inevitable. No matter what anyone suggests it comes down to what your ears tell you.

I'm no fan of Bose. IMO 901's don't sound that good. However, without their dedicated equalizer they are truly awful.

blackraven
05-24-2014, 03:12 PM
I would say that the NAD is the best unit out of the bunch.