Top 3 Hiphop/Rap songs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Hiphop/Rap songs

Smokey
05-13-2013, 01:21 PM
There is a fine line between Hiphop and Rap, so this thread can go either way :)

Ranked from most favorite:

Around The Way Girl by LL Cool J: One of best song from early pioneer of Rap music.

Still D.R.E. by Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg: With this song, Dr Dre proved he still got it.

California Love by 2 Pac: 2 Pac did not practiced what he preached, but he got couple of good songs.

Worf101
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" - Gil Scott Heron.

"Fight the Power" - Public Enemy

"Rapper's Delight" - Sugar Hill Gang.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Worf

Smokey
05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
"Fight the Power" - Public EnemyI love the back and forth conversation between Chuck D and Flavor Flav in this song as they finish each other sentences.

TheHills44060
05-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Oh wow this is nearly impossible to answer. Rather than stew over it I'll list the first 3 favorites i think of:

1. "The Symphony" by Marly Marl (w/Masta Ace, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Craig G) I love the way they pass the mic from one to the next without missing a beat, all star crew.

2. "Ain't Nothin But a Word To Me" by Too Short - This song is a freakin' grinder w/Too Short at his best and Ice Cube when he still had an attitude and was relevant.

3. "Jam On It" by Newcleus - This was the first rap song to really make me say wow and accept the genre with an open mind.

Smokey
05-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks Hills. You should've put rated "X" beside your #2 tune :D

TheHills44060
05-14-2013, 05:59 AM
Gosh sorry about that Smoke. I've have had that song pumped into my head so many times since high school one becomes desensitized to the profanity. I can't think of much decent rap from that era that wasn't completely filthy actually.

bobsticks
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Hhmmn...only three? On any given day subject to change:

1) "By the Time I get to Arizona"- Public Enemy
2) "Fly By"-Ice T and Nasty Kat
3) the aformentioned "California Love"-Tupac

TheHills44060
05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
1) "By the Time I get to Arizona"- Public Enemy

This was at the height of the parental advisory sticker days. None of the record stores in the malls around my town would sell me this album because I was underage so I had to go to the Galleria downtown to buy it.

Glen B
05-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Snoop Dogg quickly comes to mind, being is one of the main artists that helped transform me from disliking hip-hop/rap to embracing the genre.

1. Lay Low - Snoop
2. Gin and Juice - Snoop
3. Get Away - Mobb Deep

MasterCylinder
05-16-2013, 04:33 AM
3. "Jam On It" by Newcleus - This was the first rap song to really make me say wow and accept the genre with an open mind.

This statement implies one must acquire the taste, which I never have.
My Mama told me that if I couldn't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.
Therefore, I will remain silent, except to say that Funky Cold Medina is pretty cool.

TheHills44060
05-18-2013, 08:03 AM
This statement implies one must acquire the taste, which I never have.
My Mama told me that if I couldn't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.
Therefore, I will remain silent, except to say that Funky Cold Medina is pretty cool.
Uhhh not sure where you are finding that implication in what I said???

I've never been the biggest rap fan myself but at that time it was so new to me and when i heard "Jam on It", it put a smile on my face the same way Van Halen, Quiet Riot or Motley Crue was currently doing.

Smokey
05-18-2013, 08:40 PM
I've never been the biggest rap fan myself but at that time it was so new to me and when i heard "Jam on It", it put a smile on my face the same way Van Halen, Quiet Riot or Motley Crue was currently doing.

IMO good music is not exclusive to any genre. Every genre have their own share of good and bad music and songs. Sometime out of blue a piece of music click with you and you might have never heard that type of music before.

What set Rap apart from other genre is that some of it contain vulgar langauge and lyrics and some people are not comfortable with it.

recoveryone
05-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Nice throw back Worf, most of these guys do not have a clue "Whats the Word" "Angel Dust" "B Movie"

now for my list:

Walk this way----RUNDMC, Put Rap and Rock on par

Baby got Back---Sir Mix A-lot, All Time MTV favorite

Parents just don't understand--Will Smith, showed Rap can be fun

Smokey
05-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Baby got Back---Sir Mix A-lotThat might have been true back then. With the current obesity epidemic, the title should be changed to "Baby Got too much Back" :D