Importance of Speaker Cables? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Speaker Cables?

Yamahog12
05-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I have only ever used heavier gauge speaker wire like what you'd get maybe in Radio Shack. Is there really a difference in audible sound quality by using some of these cables I see that cost much more money? I'm looking at getting some new speakers and was wondering about these expensive speaker cables I've seen advertised. Thanks.

JohnMichael
05-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes there is but some claim they do not hear a difference. Check out AntiCables web site. Solid core is what I enjoy over stranded cables.

LeRoy
05-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Is there really a difference in audible sound quality by using some of these cables I see that cost much more money? I'm looking at getting some new speakers and was wondering about these expensive speaker cables I've seen advertised. Thanks.

Cabling in general, can make a difference. Sometimes the difference is greatly appreciated and other times not welcome. It all depends on listener preferences, expectations, and that elusive system synergy between ALL of your cabling, electronics, and speakers. You don't have to spend big $$ for cabling upgrades. What price range are you hovering around for cables? Please provide your current system details and what speakers are you looking to acquire?

Like JM remarked, some people don't hear a difference. You may want to investigate these product offering from Signal Cable: Signal Cable (http://www.signalcable.com/)

markw
05-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Noody disputes that a big Buick rides better than a small Hyundai.

If more people could hear the differences between cables like these cars, then this controversy would not exit.

Nobody disputes the audiable difference between speakers and phono cartridges. Likewise, there is some controversy that similar ly constructed amplifiers sound more alike than not as long as not driven beyond their design limits.

Now, with cables, there is so much controversy that the only real way to know is to tr it for yourself and listen carefully with your ears and not your expectations. Try your current cables and your newly acquired fancy cables of a similar length and gauge and compare, leisurely switching them back and forth over a few days.

...or just go with whichever makes you feel better. I'm fairly confident that your listening enjoyment won't suffer whichever way you go.

Yamahog12
05-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Well, I'm not exactly breaking the bank compared to systems a lot of people have. I have an old Yamaha AX-570 amp, a Yamaha CD changer, and I think I'm going to buy Golden Ear Triton-3 speakers. The speakers, I think, will be the strongest component and I'm just not into it enough to pay $$$ for a new amp, etc.

I am not hovering around anything for new cables. Initially, at least, I'm going to use my old speaker wire. It may be an instance of not missing something you don't have, so if it sounds great to me I will likely not buy different speaker cables. I just wondered if there is a real difference--besides the price. I am hooked up with whatever audio cabling came with the components so I am not using expensive cabling between the amp and CD player, etc. Many of the components I see forum members list, I have not even heard of so maybe better connections would not matter with the lower level equipment I have.

harley .guy07
05-13-2013, 07:58 AM
While in my opinion it is a sure thing that cables make a difference between amp and speaker and also between components you also have to be realistic with how much to spend on cables for the components you have. Most people with receivers and good speakers but not necessarily multi thousand dollar units will need good cable like blue jeans for example but would they have the equipment to tell the difference between that and mega dollar MIT stuff, it would be doubtful if they would have the kind of resolution to really tell. Another thing to consider is a ratio of component/speaker cost to cable costs because it would be crazy to have a receiver in a system driving $1,000 speakers and put $1000 speaker cables with it it is simply not realistic. But that all being said I know from my years in this hobby both professionally and for my own pleasure that good cables do make a difference just use better judgement and you will be rewarded.

Yamahog12
05-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Thank you for your reply. I do think I'll use what I have at first. If I get the urge to try better cabling, that'll happen. I just hate to spend the big $ only to find I cannot hear the difference possibly because my equipment isn't refined enough to bring it out.

blackraven
05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I use 10g Belden white jacket wire from here-

Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm)

I have the unterminated cable and used their Banana plugs. The cable is inexpensive and sounds good as far as I can tell.

Yamahog12
05-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks. I'm not sure if the speaker connections on my amp are compatible with banana clips.

Hyfi
05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks. I'm not sure if the speaker connections on my amp are compatible with banana clips.

Yes, it will accept banana connectors
http://www.hifidatabase.com/static/gallery/7/2677-ax-570b.jpg

Yamahog12
05-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the picture. I guess I don't know how banana connectors work. They insert straight into the middle of the speaker connection?

Hyfi
05-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the picture. I guess I don't know how banana connectors work. They insert straight into the middle of the speaker connection?

Yes, they will push right into the hole in each binding post without unscrewing them.

Yamahog12
05-15-2013, 04:55 AM
Thanks. Geez! I've had this amp for over 20 years and didn't realize that. Every time I had to fish the wire through these posts I'd get frustrated. I'm definitely going to get these connectors!