Hello Audiophiles [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello Audiophiles

Zenophobe
05-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Came here to see if I could post an item in your classifieds but I didn't want to be rude and not say hello. I suppose I would be an audiophile if I wasn't such a technophile first and foremost.

Most of my money goes into computer equipment... have to maintain my street cred since I build high-end custom computers and professional workstations for a living. Feel free to hit me up with any dire questions you may have, emphasis on dire :) Rather not have my mail box filled with questions like "what's the shortcut keys for cutting & pasting again?" try something juicier like "any worthy pci-e audio cards or should i stick to the tried and tested PCI ones" - my bread and butter are design, post-production and uber-godlike gaming builds but on occasion I do audio-production desktop and mobile workstations.

Still using the stereo I had in college hehe... 10 year old Yamaha components and some floor standing Infinities - plugged right into onboard s/pdif optical port and sounds great to me.

Feanor
05-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Came here to see if I could post an item in your classifieds but I didn't want to be rude and not say hello. I suppose I would be an audiophile if I wasn't such a technophile first and foremost.
Welcome, Zenophobe. (Zenophobe ??!?)

JohnMichael
05-12-2013, 05:34 PM
The fear of Zen.

Zenophobe
05-13-2013, 03:23 AM
John's one of the few who got it exactly right, my name being Zen. Just a play on words and nothing to do with having issues with aliens or eastern philosophy, that's just a coincidence... but don't get me started.

blackraven
05-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Welcome Zen! It's nice to have a guy who builds computers here. I have built a few gaming computers for my son. We are slowly upgrading his present computer with SSD's, Raptors and recently a Radeon 7870 graphics card. The processor is next.

Zenophobe
05-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks blackraven. Good choice, I have a 7890 I believe. I can't keep track of my hardware because like I said earlier I'm forced to keep updating. Every year I send out my Zen's Build email to my client list and somebody gets to buy my motherboard/cpu/ram/video card and then any other components they need and I build it in the case of their choice labor free. Not a bad deal, 1 year old used parts maintained by a tech guru and free labor plus the warranty. It's usually gone within the first 20 min of the email going out and people are trying to bribe me now to get first consideration. Maybe I should just auction it off to the highest bidder haha..

PS: People don't realize that computers aren't all that hard to build. If you can build a model airplane you can build a computer but there are tricks to the trade and some definite no-nos you want to avoid. Also the real key is how you do the OS installation. I also use a custom modified version of Win 7 Ultimate 64 with the bloatware taken out, the hidden MS ports turned off and the Validation completely hacked so you don't have to deal with trying to convince MS that you're not on a new computer the next time you swap out hardware and the validation screws up and thinks your pirating their software.