Oil for Food? or Oil for money? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oil for Food? or Oil for money?

JSE
04-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Looks like some members of the UN may be in a little bit of trouble. Maybe.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117723,00.html

It's about time that some of the countries that were so opposed to going into Iraq be investigated in regards to their true motivations for not wanting to go to war. Maybe because they were making billions illegally off Iraq?

It will be interesting to watch this unfold to say the least.

JSE

bturk667
04-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Politicans that are crooked? Politicans that take illegal bribes? So it isn't so!?! How will we ever go on?

So now we should condemn countries for not wanting to go to WAR? Or maybe just condemn them for not going to war when we want them to, to support our unjust ones? I am not justifying what the French, Germans, and Russians did, but it has not or will not effect us. How would our lives, or the course of our government, be any different if they were not bribed by Saddam. We still went to war without their support in Iraq. What, we would not have gone to war if they supported us?

Our President was going into Iraq no matter who was with us or against us. This will be used by Conservatives and Republicans as another way to make the means justify the ends. Like it or not what the French, Germans, and Russians did is what happens in the real world. I guess you do not remember the reports that the Bush administration was trying to influence, whink whink, smaller U.N. countries to support us before we went to war with Iraq? Welcome to the real world!

JSE
04-22-2004, 08:12 AM
You really like to twist and put word in people's mouths don't you? Let me clear a couple things up.

"So now we should condemn countries for not wanting to go to WAR? Or maybe just condemn them for not going to war when we want them to, to support our unjust ones? "

No, I never said that. I am saying that it's about time that some of those countries that opposed us going in have their true motivations revealed. Maybe they did not want to go into Iraq becaused they were illegally exporting oil under the table, or were supplying technology under the table. Who knows, that's why I am glad to see the UN and these countries investigated.

"I am not justifying what the French, Germans, and Russians did, but it has not or will not effect us."

What? They tried to trash us in front of the world. They tried to stop us from going in. Why, because they were potentially hiding their own lies and dealings with Iraq. Don't you think that's a little hypocritical. Don't you as an American want them exposed for what they are?

"This will be used by Conservatives and Republicans as another way to make the means justify the ends"

How? The ends are already justified. Like you said, we were going in regardless. I think most Americans would be interested to see if the UN and these particular countries were playing both sides. If they were doing it in Iraq, are they still doing it in other countries? Syria? N. Korea? Makes you wonder. Unlike you and other liberals, I would prefer we not stick our head in the sand and ignore the possibility that these countries may be "helping" potential enemies. If they are, I would want to know about it. Like you said,

"Like it or not what the French, Germans, and Russians did is what happens in the real world. "

and,

"Welcome to the real world!"

No kidding, that's exactly why we need to know.

JSE

bturk667
04-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Sorry if you thinkI twisted your words, but that is how your post came across to me. To you the ends maybe justified, but they are not to me and to most of the rest of the world.

JSE
04-22-2004, 07:47 PM
To you the ends maybe justified, but they are not to me and to most of the rest of the world.

Wow, so now you speak for "most of the rest of the world". I speak for myself, not others. It would be quite arrogant of me to do so. Do you read about the world around you or do you just read Anit-Bush news? There's seems to be a lot your missing out on, like reality. Oh well.

JSE

bturk667
04-22-2004, 08:02 PM
No, I actually read what the people in the rest of the world think of us, and it is not pretty! No I do not always read Anti-Bush news. In fact I red Pro-Bush news quite a bit. I like to have both sides of the facts. Whose reality am I missing out on? The Conservative/Republican reality of the facts?

mtrycraft
04-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Looks like some members of the UN may be in a little bit of trouble. Maybe.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117723,00.html

It's about time that some of the countries that were so opposed to going into Iraq be investigated in regards to their true motivations for not wanting to go to war. Maybe because they were making billions illegally off Iraq?

It will be interesting to watch this unfold to say the least.

JSE

Money makes the world go around... :)

Anything shocking here? Is the UN immune from such scandals? What else are they hiding under secret stamps?

This is chicken feed. France was offered the southern oil fields, $100bil to oppose us.

jeskibuff
04-25-2004, 04:38 AM
So now we should condemn countries for not wanting to go to WAR? Or maybe just condemn them for not going to war when we want them to, to support our unjust ones? I am not justifying what the French, Germans, and Russians did, but it has not or will not effect us. How would our lives, or the course of our government, be any different if they were not bribed by Saddam. We still went to war without their support in Iraq. What, we would not have gone to war if they supported us?The point that you missed is that terrorism affects all nations. Those who love freedom should understand that their freedom is jeopardized by the spread of terrorism. Those who want to protect the freedom they enjoy should contribute to the cost of removing that threat. They should not be given a free ride off the goodwill of the one nation in the world that has the greatest capacity to fight terrorism. That one nation has that capacity because of the effect that freedom has on the success of a nation.

In other words, the U.S. is so powerful because it has made choices to promote freedom both inside and outside of her borders. That freedom has transformed the country into the world's most powerful economic force on the planet, enabling the financing of the world's most powerful military force that is necessary to protect those freedoms. It's not a matter of resources. If it were, Russia would be the most powerful nation in the world. But because they made poor decisions many years ago and chose to stifle the freedoms of the Russian people, they are relatively weak now.

So, now we see the terrorist threat as something that threatens our freedoms. Not just ours, but ALL freedom-loving nations in the world. Will we act to protect those freedoms? YOU BET!! Will we act whether or not those other weaker nations participate? YOU BET! Is it right for other nations to piggyback on that fact? NOPE! Do you think any nations want to put their young men and women on the front lines? NO! But it's the price of maintaining those freedoms, and any nation that values her freedom should be willing to pay her fair portion of that cost.

We need to keep track of those nations who want to parasite off of our goodwill and remember their cowardly behaviour when it comes to economic decisions that affect them in the future.