Beginner Turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Turntable

walden
05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Greetings, I'm new to this forum and I'm interested in getting into vinyl. I've been doing some research, so I think I understand the rudiments of turntables but I'm largely clueless about the equipment required for a decent quality-minded setup (preamp, receiver, power amp, speakers). My dad, an inactive audiophile himself, has some equipment: handmade speakers, Klipsch speakers, and some Bryston, Threshold, and Stax equipment (to be honest, I'm not sure what's what). Can I use any of this, coupled with a turntable, to set up a sound system? And what is a good upgradeable turntable to be had for under $200? I know that is a constraining budget, but I don't have the time or resources to throw myself into this as wholeheartedly as I might like. There are some used turntables at my local audio store- a direct drive Realistic, a Technics, and a Gerard. Essentially, can y'all steer me in the right direction in terms of a turntable and how to set up a sound system? Much appreciated. -W

02audionoob
05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
A direct drive Realistic should be fine. The direct drive models by Technics are mostly very good. I'd get a new cartridge for whichever one you choose and get an expert to install it. Something like an Audio Technica AT95E is a good starter cartridge. Gear like Bryston, Threshold, etc. is high quality, so you might have yourself a great start. Just make sure you have a preamp or something with phono inputs.

bob r
05-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Welcome to the site you will fine that the people here are very knowable in a lot of things
My first TT was a Realistic (radio-shack) i believe and it served me well at that time
over 40 years ago WOW! it's been that long it should serve you well to.

The Technica is also a great choice after the Realistic i brought a Duel TT and a sure V-15 cart

walden
05-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll post when I make a decision.