The Game: Your own radio show . . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Game: Your own radio show . . .

dean_martin
05-07-2013, 12:57 PM
or podcast, I guess.

This is a game, ladies and gentlemen. You have a weekly radio show (or podcast - I'm not sure I'm using that right). I don't know much about radio programming these days and even less about podcasts. But it doesn't matter for this game. Your show can be over-the-air from a conventional radio station, or on the internet, or both. You decide. Your show must be music-oriented. The following elements are required:

1. Name of show
2. Day of the week
3. Time slot
4. Program for first show, e.g., playlist, interviews, in-studio performances, etc. Remember, it must fit in your time slot.

But don't limit your description to the required elements. Tell us about demographics/target audience, city or location where you think your show will be well received, themes, etc.

I'll break the ice with an idea that's been running around my head and rather than dissipating, it seems to be snowballing. The idea began when my wife and I were on our anniversary trip to Marfa, TX which has a local public radio station on its main drag. It's operated by volunteers mostly and is on the air 24/7. I imagined that they had late night/early morning time slots that locals could come in and fill rather than piping in NPR programming.

Additionally, I've read at least two music-related articles recently referring to music I happen to like or am interested in as "Dad Rock". WOW! At first I was a little insulted because the shoe seemed to fit too well. Then, I decided to embrace the terminology.

Here's my show. Remember, this is an ice-breaker to get the ball rolling. My playlist for my first show clocks in at only 39:19, but I have some ideas for another song or two based on recent concerts in my radio station's town (Marfa, TX) plus song introductions and trivial tidbits about some of the songs will add to the time.

1. The Dad Rock Hour
2 and 3 . Friday night 11 p.m. to midnight or Saturday morning 12 a.m./midnight to 1 a.m.
4. First show playlist:
*Transmission - Joy Division, Peel Sessions
*Decora - Yo La Tengo, Electr-O-Pura
*Randy Described Eternity - Built to Spill, Perfect from Now on
*Unreal - UNKLE, Psyence Fiction
*Blue - The Jayhawks, 45 rpm release from Anthology/Tomorrow the Green Grass
*Girl Called Alex - Kurt Vile, Wakin on a Pretty Daze
*Blue Randy - Beck, b-side of 45 rpm w/Just Started Hating Some People Today (Third Man Records Blue Series)
*Wigwam - Bob Dylan, 45 rpm RSD '13 release (also available on the upcoming bootleg series release)
*River Man - Nick Drake, S/T U.S. release (also on Five Leaves Left)

My show's in Marfa, TX, a small town that supports the arts. Even though the nearest airport is 3 hrs. away, they attract top-shelf music acts and have at least one "big" act a month. Every show sells out. I saw Jeff Mangum there at the end of March. Beach House came in April. I think The Dad Rock Hour may develop an audience there. BTW, I think sprinkling in some blues, country, soul, funk, hip-hop, jazz and standards can work as long as the songs are good and the songs for each show fit together as a whole.

I know we have some classical fans and "real" country fans. Maybe we can get some variety in the shows posted. This is not only for the interested, but also the bored (as in bored with the lack of new posts). So please participate. It should be easy for some of our more prolific comp-makers. We had a similar thread in Favorite Films several years ago in which folks put together their own film festival.

It's your first show so bring your best.

Finch Platte
05-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Man, this is kinda complicated, but since you put all that effort into your post, I am going to have to make an effort! Will think about it and get back to you.

It's not really much different than making a comp, so it shouldn't be *that* hard, amirite?

Mr Peabody
05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
My dream would be able to program my own radio station. The programming would depend on my target audience but my favorite thing would be to do a Rock show. A friend of mine was talking about rare classics, Brownsville Station's Martian Boogie to be precise, and how these types of songs could be lost some day because of corporate stations and narrow minded programming. Then I get torn between playing classics and my love for Metal and Hard Rock, can I mix it etc. Well here goes. And, I think I would try to mix.

If no copyright infringement I'd just call my show "The Rock Show", hosted by yours truly.

Opening song and maybe always opening song.
Why not ole St. Louis

* Blow Your Speakers, Manowar
* Three Days Grace, Chalk Outline
* Max Webster Band, Battle Scar
* Joe Satriani, Satch Boogie
* Nightwish, Planet Hell
* Adreneline Mob, Come Undone
* In This Moment, Prayers
* Breaking Benjamin, I Will Not Bow
* Clutch, Electric Worry
* April Wine, Shot Down
* Disturbed, In The Fire
* Driving & Crying, The Innocent
* Gary Moore, Shape of Things To Come
* Drowning Pool, Soldiers
* Godsmack, I Stand Alone
* Incubus, Pardon Me
* Iron Maiden, Power Slave
* Judas Priest, Victim of Changes
* Montrose, Space Station #5
* Pantera, Walk
* Rhino Bucket, Hey There
* Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Somethings Coming Our Way
* MegaDeth, Victory

I'd like 2 to 3 hours but you get my drift.

dean_martin
05-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Interesting concept, Mr. P. I think I dipped my toe in Metal and Hard Rock years ago. I might learn something from your show.

Also, I like the idea of having a recurring opening or closing song. One of the local stations I used to listen to (before it was taken over) played the same song every night at sign-off. It was an orchestral version of Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight with a wonderful arrangement. Perfect for signing off at midnight.

Mr Peabody
05-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks Deano for the encouragement :)

Interesting concept, Mr. P. I think I dipped my toe in Metal and Hard Rock years ago. I might learn something from your show.

Also, I like the idea of having a recurring opening or closing song. One of the local stations I used to listen to (before it was taken over) played the same song every night at sign-off. It was an orchestral version of Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight with a wonderful arrangement. Perfect for signing off at midnight.