The days of tax-free Internet shopping are over. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The days of tax-free Internet shopping are over.

markw
05-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Last year they closed a loophole for serious* ebay sellers by having paypal issue 1099-K's, large** internet retailers will now be paying state sales tax. I can see where implementing this will be costly to the retailers and their customers.

"WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate sided with traditional retailers and financially strapped state and local governments Monday by passing a bill that would widely subject online shopping — for many a largely tax-free frontier — to state sales taxes."

Click here (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130506/US--Internet.Sales.Tax/) for the linky.

* Serious in that it's triggered by 200 transactions AND $20,000 in sales. That's a small business.

** over $1,000,000 in on-line sales

markw
05-06-2013, 04:31 PM
This topic did not last long on AudioKarma.Really! I could see moving it to ""Dollars and Sense", but to close it for political reasons?

Well, some, not all, of the denizens there aren't the most intelligent bunch on the net anyway.

I once made reference to "the wisdom of Solomon" in regards to a judicial decision to give a girl's mother the choice of cutting her daughter's hair or paying a stiff penalty because her daughter did the same thing to a younger girl and some whiners went crying that I started a religious thread.

It seems literary references are lost on the illiterate. More is the pity that some of the mods fall into that category as well.

[edit] Here's (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=452307&highlight=solomon) the link. Strange, it's the same mod. Methinks he doesn't like me. :cryin:

bob r
05-07-2013, 08:50 AM
i am short on time today but their has always has been Tax's from internet buying most just don't report it

Hyfi
05-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Really! I could see moving it to ""Dollars and Sense", but to close it for political reasons?

Well, some, not all, of the denizens there aren't the most intelligent bunch on the net anyway.

I once made reference to "the wisdom of Solomon" in regards to a judicial decision to give a girl's mother the choice of cutting her daughter's hair or paying a stiff penalty because her daughter did the same thing to a younger girl and some whiners went crying that I started a religious thread.

It seems literary references are lost on the illiterate. More is the pity that some of the mods fall into that category as well.

[edit] Here's (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=452307&highlight=solomon) the link. Strange, it's the same mod. Methinks he doesn't like me. :cryin:

I am really surprised since Solomon is from the Vintage section of the Bible

JohnMichael
05-07-2013, 03:15 PM
I have ordered items and if they have a store or distribution center in my state I am charged tax. I would pay tax on anything from Parts Express.

Mr Peabody
05-07-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't want to over burden any business but on the other hand if a B&M who has over head has to collect and pay sales tax, so should any one operating on the internet. I have to admit I'm not going to like paying it but fair is fair. It's not right to go into a local store to take sales personnel time, the store to pay the salary and cost of displaying an item then go buy off the net to save tax.

bob r
05-08-2013, 05:40 AM
i agree i could of brought my TT of the net and would of gotten it a lot sooner but i went to the store instead
it didn't work out very good for me this time because the salesman their knew notting about that TT

Mr Peabody
05-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Good for you, not too many internet retailers would be able to help you either. It's good to ask questions and try to find a knowledgeable source either way.

i agree i could of brought my TT of the net and would of gotten it a lot sooner but i went to the store instead
it didn't work out very good for me this time because the salesman their knew notting about that TT

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-17-2013, 04:30 PM
i am short on time today but their has always has been Tax's from internet buying most just don't report it

I have never(up until recently) been taxed on anything I bought on Amazon. That is until the opened up a distribution center here in California. I get taxed now, but I also get my orders in a single day. So here is where I am okay with being taxed.