Iron & Wine: Ghost On Ghost [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Iron & Wine: Ghost On Ghost

3LB
05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Is it just me, or is the latest album freakin killer?

ForeverAutumn
05-01-2013, 06:25 PM
I didn't realize that it was out already. I'll have to go to YT and check it out. I've never been a big fan but I LOVE Kiss Each Other Clean. I bought it after hearing one song and then quickly fell in love with the whole album...enough so that I'm willing to give the new one a chance. It's good to hear your impression of it was positive.

Jim Clark
05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I've not really made a strong connection with it yet, but I wasn't a huge fan of Kiss.. either. The Shepard's Dog, that's the shiz.

Not really sure why I'm not digging this one. Weird as it may sound, I feel like there's almost a 'show tunes' kinda vibe to a lot of the tracks. That popped into my head during my first listen and I haven't been able to shake that thought. I'll keep pluginn away.

Slosh
05-02-2013, 01:17 PM
I agree with Jim. Some decent songs on it but this and Kiss Each Other Clean are both nowhere near as compelling as Shepherd's Dog. Just not enough variety from song to song, and not really much to put the alt-country tag on anymore. And what's with the naked boys lyrics? I didn't even know they were catholic :rolleyes:

3LB
05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
I do agree that much of the folk-rock noir quality of Shepard's Dog is gone after being barely present on Kiss, but I'm not at all married to one style or another. Yeah, its even a bit most polished than Kiss Each Other Clean but its well done. Maybe the dude's just too happy to write pensive, brooding alt-something songs and is guided more by craft than aesthetic.