B&W 603's....maybe [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W 603's....maybe

Coops320
04-21-2004, 07:34 AM
I am looking to gradually update my speakers, 1 section at a time. Right now I have Klipsch SB-1 bookshelfs for my left and right channel and I am thinking of upgrading to B&W 603's. I am just curious on the general consensious out there on the B&W speakers over my little bookshelfs. I am getting the speakers used and wont get a chance to hear them until I go pick them up. Basically are these speakers worth taking a listen to as it is a bit of a drive to hear them. I have a Harman Kardon AVR520 powering the speakers by the way. Thanks all. - Chad

JSE
04-21-2004, 07:48 AM
I am looking to gradually update my speakers, 1 section at a time. Right now I have Klipsch SB-1 bookshelfs for my left and right channel and I am thinking of upgrading to B&W 603's. I am just curious on the general consensious out there on the B&W speakers over my little bookshelfs. I am getting the speakers used and wont get a chance to hear them until I go pick them up. Basically are these speakers worth taking a listen to as it is a bit of a drive to hear them. I have a Harman Kardon AVR520 powering the speakers by the way. Thanks all. - Chad

Everyone will tell you let your ears decide and rightfully so. That's what matters. But, I think you will be pleasantly suprised by these speakers. They will be fairly different in sound compared to youe Klipsch. In my opinion, they are a far better sounding speaker that Klipsch in genaral. But again, someone could say the exact opposite and be just as correct. To me, B&W and Klipsch are basically at opposite ends of the sound spectrum in terms of sound characteristics.

Is is worth the drive. YES!

By the way, our HK should be fine.

JSE

NickWH
04-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Well, the B&W's should be an instant upgrade over your current speakers. I think that goes without saying. If you are getting a good deal and if the speakers are in good shape, it's hard to go wrong here. However, you might want to listen to anything in the B&W DM line at a local shop before going the long haul. It will give you an idea of what the B&W house sound, sounds like.

I think the general concensus is that B&W speakers can sound a little bright or "forward" due to the metal dome tweeters. However, H/K receivers are known for sounding a little dark, with an emphasis on the mids and mid-bass. The same thing can be said for Klipsch, with their horn-loaded tweeters, so chances are the B&W's will be less bright. Depending on your room, the way you position the towers and your cables, I think you will really like the upgrade.

Let us know how it sounds.

Coops320
04-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the quick replies all. My friend from work is letting my try is B&W DM-601s right now, I cant wait to go home and hook them up, he said he might sell them to me if i like them...they have been sitting in his bedroom not hooked up for over a year. Thanks again everyone. Also I think I have gotten to the point where I dont really like the "Klipsch" sound anymore, I dont think I like the way they sound listening to more calm type music (sara maclaughlin, dido, etc) Thanks again. I wish I found this web board sooner. - Chad

JSE
04-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the quick replies all. My friend from work is letting my try is B&W DM-601s right now, I cant wait to go home and hook them up, he said he might sell them to me if i like them...they have been sitting in his bedroom not hooked up for over a year. Thanks again everyone. Also I think I have gotten to the point where I dont really like the "Klipsch" sound anymore, I dont think I like the way they sound listening to more calm type music (sara maclaughlin, dido, etc) Thanks again. I wish I found this web board sooner. - Chad

Hmmm? 603's as main, 601's as rears, get a center channel and a sub. You will have a pretty darn nice set up. Amazing how other's can spend your money for you, huh?

Those 601's, while different speakers than the 603's, should give you a pretty good idea about the 603's general sound. Someone else can probably confirm this, but I think they use the same drivers.

JSE

Coops320
04-22-2004, 03:24 AM
Well, I have the B&W 601s hooked up with now and I think they sound great. I cant wait till I can go get my hands on the 603's. Just wanted to let everyone know that I am very happy with the 601's over my old Klipsch sb1's. Thanks all. - Chad