Tube Rolling the Grant Fidelity- DAC 11 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tube Rolling the Grant Fidelity- DAC 11

LeRoy
04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Last Friday I received my first tubes in rolling the G.F. DAC-11. I ordered a couple of tubes from Upscale Audio, Matsu****a/National PC88/7DJ8. I just got around to changing the stock tube this morning and have only spun one disc, Jan Garbarek, Rites.

So far the difference from the stock tube is greater inner detail with a more delicate rendering of the cymbal taps and shimmer. Mid-range is forward and favors the upper mids over the lower mids. Bass is full and complete notes but rounded out at this time.

Now playing Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. Nothing to note regarding change of presentation this described. I realize AU7's and AX7's are different tubes but for the sake of comparing what I have used the JJ 803 S is more balanced with a deeper and controlled bottom end. The Tung-Sol AX7 is just a articulate in the top end but is a real bass slammer and does not favor one segment of the mids. In AU7's, the La Radiotechnique tube still sets the musicality standard for me. In some respects the Matshu****a tube upper mids to upper end remind me of the L.R.

Gotta give the M. tube more time to burn in.

winston
04-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Last Friday I received my first tubes in rolling the G.F. DAC-11. I ordered a couple of tubes from Upscale Audio, Matsu****a/National PC88/7DJ8. I just got around to changing the stock tube this morning and have only spun one disc, Jan Garbarek, Rites.

well Leroy, good luck with new G F-DAC 11 and those new tubes,

I'm not a tube roller, but I do know that Jan Garberek, is one of the best soprano and tenor saxophones in the Euros, and for us here in the USA who are able to spun em...."So if those new tubes are able to beef up the DAC-11, and gets you through disc 1 track # 2 (where the rivers meet) without rolling over :smilewinkgrin: IMHO they're keepers, so you just keep burning them in

LeRoy
04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
well Leroy, good luck with new G F-DAC 11 and those new tubes,

I'm not a tube roller, but I do know that Jan Garberek, is one of the best soprano and tenor saxophones in the Euros, and for us here in the USA who are able to spun em...."So if those new tubes are able to beef up the DAC-11, and gets you through disc 1 track # 2 (where the rivers meet) without rolling over :smilewinkgrin: IMHO they're keepers, so you just keep burning them in

Thanks Winston. Ya, these tubes need very careful paring. I did not like the WW Electra power cord on the G.F. DAC with the stock tubes but thought I would try the WWE on the new tubes...man, that's a combination that a someone who loves horn speakers would delight in listening to. There is no shortage of upper frequency detail and energy and the tube seems to place brass as the primary focus when there is brass in music stream.

I put on Katie Melua, Piece By Piece, and that was warmer in presentation but still lively on the top end. So, Holly Cole, Temptation got to play several times before I sat down for a listen. Anyone who has heard the Temptation CD knows this recording is very, very warm and bass heavy. Well, with the new tube and WWE it was still on the cool side of neutral and very dynamic. Bear in mind I am using the HHB CDP with the Darwin Cable Coax with about 80 hours on the coax.

I could not take it anymore so I swapped out the WWE with a warmer P.C., Signal Cable Magic P.C. I am enjoying this combination much more. It's still dynamic, lots of inner detail, snap, and good natural tones. I would prefer the bass to be more textured than it currently is. No hint of sibilance yet. I will leave this config a lone for a week before doing any more cable changes.

blackraven
04-28-2013, 09:00 PM
LeRoy, when I get home from California later in the week, I will send you the early 1960's Amperex and Telfunkens to try. I think you will like the amperex as they are not as forward. Both these tubes are very holographic.

LeRoy
04-29-2013, 04:23 AM
LeRoy, when I get home from California later in the week, I will send you the early 1960's Amperex and Telfunkens to try. I think you will like the amperex as they are not as forward. Both these tubes are very holographic.

Thank you. I am looking forward to rolling some tubes. I happen to love holographic!!

LeRoy
04-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Update:

Winston, your instincts about this tube are correct. It is a great brass tube. The tube has maintained 3 consistencies regardless of which power cord or IC I put into action with it. 1) Inner detail retrieval 2) drive 3) favoring brass instruments and placing the brass in the spotlight.

After running the G.F. DAC and tube all day yesterday while I was out running errands I decided to give it another listen late in the evening. I felt that there was still room for improvement so I replaced the stock red/white I.C.'s with a pair of Signal Cable Analog 2 I.C.'s. The result was has been nothing but sheer delight. I now have the textures and tones I was needing in the midrange and bass notes. Also, the brass presents with a more mid range tone instead of an upper mid tone. Just how I like it.

The Darwin Coax delivers much in the same way as the tube does. It's as if the Darwin coax and Matsu****a 7DJ8 were designed for each other. Without the tube and coax being sandwiched by a warm power cord and warm I.C. I would not be in praise of the results. Configured as I have just described, this DAC, et al, reminds me most of the HRT DAC iStreamer. If I were going to have a big party and wanted the music played with verve all party long then it would want either the M 7DJ8 tube in the DAC have the HRT DAC serving up the tunes.

The tube was a great pick up.

winston
05-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Leroy, its good to know they're working out for ya,

hey, sometimes it takes a little time to get the sound signature:)