Up and coming ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Up and coming ...

Davey
04-27-2013, 02:03 PM
What is on the horizon for you? Just saw this blurb below about a new Califone record on the way, so that's probably my most up and coming right now.

Hello people, a few things:

A new califone record is done and mastered. It’s called stitches. We’ll have more information about the official release very soon.

So excited to have you hear this one. making this thing has been an incredible, beautiful, frightening and healing trip. I’m not sure how people will perceive the music but this is the most personally honest songwriting I have ever done and I hope people can relate to it and find some comfort, joy and beauty in it.

.feeling really lucky that I still have the opportunity to make records. Truly appreciating all of it right now. so …thanks.

Tim Rutili

new califone record ? living room tour starting now ? hopscotch festival in Raleigh, NC ? enormous posting. | Califone (http://www.califonemusic.com/2013/04/25/new-califone-record-living-room-tour-starting-now-hopscotch-festival-in-raleigh-nc-enormous-posting/)

Slosh
05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
So... any idea when this is getting released?

Jim Clark
05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Man, not even "Half Gone" (trademark pending by Davey) and it's been amazing this year. While I'm always hopeful for a new Moonbabies album, the website has been saying it's coming for years now, I've been too busy with so much music that I haven't been able to look ahead much at all. Sigur Ros is due up pretty soon with Kveikur. Other than that, I'm drawing blanks.

Looking back:

The National
Junip
MBV
Flaming Lips
Nick Cave
Local Natives
Yo La Tengo
Bleached
Frightened Rabbit...

yep, very good year.

Slosh
05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Just this week I picked up/downloaded (from the artist' websites) new albums from:

Holopaw
John Vanderslice (2 albums)
Josh Ritter

Now I just need time to listen to them.

jonnyhambone
05-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Some really great releases already this year (The Terror is a recent acquisition that's been especially excellent and, out of left field, Daniel Romano's Come Cry With Me is just awesome). My main 'Up & Coming' is Julia Holter's new one, Loud City Songs, coming out in Aug. Big fan of her last one, Ekstasis, and am curious where she takes her ambient electro. sound...
Julia Holter taste (http://www.lepoissonrouge.com/listen-to-the-opening-track-from-julia-holters-new-album/)

Davey
06-02-2013, 03:59 PM
So... any idea when this is getting released?
No idea. Wish I knew. They've been gradually releasing (or re-releasing) the back catalog on vinyl and I've been grabbing them up. Waiting for Quicksand/Cradlesnakes.

My main 'Up & Coming' is Julia Holter's new one, Loud City Songs, coming out in Aug. Big fan of her last one, Ekstasis, and am curious where she takes her ambient electro. sound...

Ooh, didn't know that was coming, good one. Also a big fan. Thanks. Been listening a lot to the new CocoRosie, getting some mixed reviews but I'm really liking it. Guess that doesn't have much to do with Julia Holter, but whatever, just slipped out. Does have some electro-ambient moments :)

Davey
12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Just heard about a couple upcoming February releases that may be good ones, from a couple favorites, but not much else in common.

For Cibo Matto, this will be something like a 15 year reunion. They put out a couple really nice records in the 90s, Viva! La Woman being the debut and the real charmer for me, and carried on with Sean Lennon after that, whom I think they are still partnered with on the business side, or it is his label doing the release, not sure, but he isn't in the reunion band. They do add Yuko Araki on drums, and I gotta say, looking at the concert footage from last year, Miho Hatori is cute as ever. They did play at a couple concerts with Yoko Ono last year, so that's cool. Apparently opened for Wilco too. And according to Wiki, Yoko guested on "Know Your Chicken" at a concert a few months ago, so I guess they are maintaining the Lennon connection :)

Anyway, Hotel Valentine is the title, and you can probably guess the release date.

Also just saw that Notwist has a new one coming too, called Close to the Glass, and sounds from the label blurb that it may be a return to the sound I like best, "As romantic as it is robotic". Still on City Slang in Europe, but this time on Sub Pop in the US ...

Their latest full length 'Close To The Glass' is yet another courageous leap into the sky of songs. It is a catchy and unpredictable marriage of playing your heart out on an instrument and the magnetic pulse of precise programming. While the band always creates music ripe with authenticity and mood, we find them now defining their edges with no shortage of bravery or beat. As romantic as it is robotic, 'Close To The Glass' is a bottomless collage; part pop song, part science, part band, part story telling and all Notwist. The sturdy glue between the layers of 'Close To The Glass' is their newfound synergy as a band, no longer co-writing parts, Markus, Micha and Martin have finally found their human form and in some ways, at last, have ‘become’ the Notwist. Along side Max and Andi, they write, re-write, and record songs as one, tapping into the energy they possess on stage, and naturally arriving at the band all their exploratory recorded music had cut out for them.

Slosh
12-14-2013, 08:12 AM
New Future of the Left:9559

Slosh
12-14-2013, 08:14 AM
New Andrew Bird EP too:9560

Davey
12-21-2013, 12:57 PM
New Andrew Bird EP too
There's also a new (We Are) Augustines beginning of February. Eponymous, I think they're dropping the silly "we are" part.

Finch Platte
12-21-2013, 05:07 PM
There's also a new (We Are) Augustines beginning of February. Eponymous, I think they're dropping the silly "we are" part.

Are ypu old enough to remember We Are The Beatles?

Davey
12-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Are ypu old enough to remember We Are The Beatles?

I'm old enough, but are you sure that wasn't my old favorite, We Are The Monkees?

Finch Platte
12-22-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm old enough, but are you sure that wasn't my old favorite, We Are The Monkees?

Might have been, but if memory serves, they were the Hey Hey We're The Monkees, amirite?

Slosh
01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Only one spin so far but reminds me of his first solo album (which is a good thing, IMO). My first 2014 release too.

Swish
01-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah, he's been dead for 10 years, but he recorded this LP back in the early 1980s with producer Billy Sherrill, then it was shelved when Cash was dropped by Columbia, his label at the time. It's 12 songs and features duets with June Carter and Waylon Jennings.

His son is saying there are more unreleased records in the vaults that will be released somewhere down the road.

Here's 'She Used to Love Me a Lot' from this record titled "Out Among the Stars' that will be release @ March 25th.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WBlRx7DlL_E?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

Slosh
01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Augustines and a new Notwist coming soon. It's been a while since I've heard any new (or new-to-me) bands I like.

NP: (SACD)

Slosh
01-31-2014, 04:58 AM
First spin:

Swish
01-31-2014, 05:27 AM
They were originally 'Augustines' but there was another band with that name, so they changed it to We Are Augustines. That other band is gone so they have officially dropped 'We Are '. That's my understanding of the situation, anyhoot.

Slosh
02-07-2014, 05:43 AM
First spin:9602

Slosh
02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Been looking forward to this one for a while:

noddin0ff
02-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Saw a nice review of this one on Pitchfork (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18956-angel-olsen-burn-your-fire-for-no-witness/). Anyone heard it? It intrigues me

Other one I'll be picking up eventually is the new Sun Kil Moon. Also seeing excellent reviews. Benji.

dean_martin
03-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Mutual Benefit's Love's Crushing Diamond (sorry, no pic) is aural bliss. Every time I've put it on, I've listened to the whole thing. It's sort of a mix of sparklehorse and Iron & Wine. There are spots that require a little patience, such as opening "warm-up" playing and drifting interludes between tracks, but then it bombards with pleasing sounds. The download card includes the album as well as an ep (which is probably on the cd, but what do I know). Looking forward to listening to that ep.

noddin0ff
03-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Mutual Benefit's Love's Crushing Diamond (sorry, no pic) is aural bliss. Every time I've put it on, I've listened to the whole thing. It's sort of a mix of sparklehorse and Iron & Wine. There are spots that require a little patience, such as opening "warm-up" playing and drifting interludes between tracks, but then it bombards with pleasing sounds. The download card includes the album as well as an ep (which is probably on the cd, but what do I know). Looking forward to listening to that ep.

I second that opinion. Thanks to Davey for the tip on a good album. The interludes and the background noises put me in mind of other things I like (Phosphorescent-Muchacho for the album structure, The Books, and way more obscure Molly Berg and Stephen Vitiello-The Gorilla Variations for the auditory sampling that adds some personalizing touches mixed with folk). Bliss with ambiance.

dean_martin
03-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I second that opinion. Thanks to Davey for the tip on a good album. The interludes and the background noises put me in mind of other things I like (Phosphorescent-Muchacho for the album structure, The Books, and way more obscure Molly Berg and Stephen Vitiello-The Gorilla Variations for the auditory sampling that adds some personalizing touches mixed with folk). Bliss with ambiance.

My thanks, too. I probably should've posted in the thread where it was discussed (which I believe was the 2013 wrap-up thread, but I was too lazy to find it.)