Game of Thrones (again) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones (again)

markw
04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
I couldn't find the "old" thread. I'm not too sure I like the latest upgrade.

Anyhoo, it looks like our little Dany is growing a set and learning how to use those (not so little anymore) dragons of hers. Te part where she got her army, fried that sleaze who was trash-talking her all season behind her back (or so he thought) and won the loyalty of that 8,000 army of flesh-robots was just about the best five minute so far this season. When she freed herself from those sorcerers in that tower last season was great, too, but this wa far, far better. I didn't read the books but she seems to be a force to be reckoned with.

It look like it's all over for that incestious daughter f*c*er/son killer and the chubby kid seems to be making his break with the girl.

And,somehow, I think Joffery might be in for a bit of a rough ride with his soon-to-be wife, and his mommy seem to know this.

Feanor
04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I couldn't find the "old" thread. I'm not too sure I like the latest upgrade.

Anyhoo, it looks like our little Dany is growing a set and learning how to use those (not so little anymore) dragons of hers. Te part where she got her army, fried that sleaze who was trash-talking her all season behind her back (or so he thought) and won the loyalty of that 8,000 army of flesh-robots was just about the best five minute so far this season. When she freed herself from those sorcerers in that tower last season was great, too, but this wa far, far better. I didn't read the books but she seems to be a force to be reckoned with.

It look like it's all over for that incestious daughter f*c*er/son killer and the chubby kid seems to be making his break with the girl.

And,somehow, I think Joffery might be in for a bit of a rough ride with his soon-to-be wife, and his mommy seem to know this.
Nah, I haven't read the books either but I'm finding the TV series very entertaining.

Daenerys Targaryen for me is one of the most sympathetic characters -- even a part from being a hot chick. She seems well favored by the Gods too, being the Mother of Dragons and a shrewed and/or exceedingly lucky operator endlessly confounding her cautious (and very smitten) advisor, Jorah Mormont. Is she destined to Iron Throne rather than any of the various Baratheons, Lannisters, Tyrells, and Starks? I suppose we'll find out in season or two (or three).

Worf101
04-25-2013, 07:52 AM
I love the show... I love the way they're sloooooowly introducing the idea of "magic" into the reality of Westeros. The producers say they don't want magic to be the McGuffin that get's them out of tight spots like a game of Dungeons and Dragons. It should used sparingly and LOGICALLY (if there can be any logic to MAGIC)! I like the dynamics and ALL the characters on the "Small Council", particularly "The Spider". I've heard of slow walking one's revenge but he's taken that to a whole new level. Great show, great writing and HBO, though they passed twice on "Mad Men" and cancelled "Rome" and "Deadwood".. seem to have the good fortune and good sense to have bred a sure fire money maker. Now as long as they don't "jump the shark" like they have in "True Blood" they'll be fine.

Worf

Worf101
04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Oh and that tactic Ms. Targaryen (sp) used with the slaver's is affectionately called "The Crooklyn Okie Doke" where I come from. A variation on the old "i sell you what you want or buy what you have to sell, then take back either the goods or the money at gun point" routine. I love the way he said... "you have the whip", and her response, "dragons aren't slaves!" Nice scene.

Worf

Feanor
05-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Bear in mind that I haven't read any of the books and don't intend to ...

Jaime Lannister is obviously undergoing a rehabilitation à la soap opera or pro wrestling. He's confided that he, the Kingslayer, actually save the population of King's Landing from conflagration at the order of the last, mad Targaryen king; he has been punished by the lost of his fighting hand and weeks of humiliation; and he has selflessly saved Lady Brienne from "a fate worse than death" or actual death. We'll need to stay tuned to see where that's headed.

I'l hazard too that Theon Greystone is also headed for rehabilitation. The horrific torture at the hands of (?) some sadist/vergence seeker is, maybe, adequate punishment, though more contrition or a redeeming act on Theon's part will be necessary.

Meanwhile we're not sure to be glad or sorry for Sansa on account of Tywin Lannister's decision that she will not wed Loras Tyrell (who is handsome and seemingly guileless, but, afterall, gay), and instead Tyrion Lannister. I'm just glad that she seems to be out of the clutches of 'Littlefinger'.

markw
05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, it's nice to see the wizard gave Jamie a heart but, what with her visit to that town that generously offered her many gifts in order to be left alone, I think Dany might be getting a little big for her britches. Principles are nice, but I don't think she needs more enemies.

But it was nice to see grandpa let widdle Joffrey know who REALLY calls te shots in that family.

Buy, hey, I didn't, and won't, read the books either.

Worf101
05-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Well I read ahead but I won't give any spoilers. I will say that Jamie continues his rehab and grows up some more. Off all the HOTTIES in this show I will say that the one I want most is Lady Brianne. I want that big bear fightin' B.... err Babe to fight me! Wrassle me in baby oil!!!! Tag team action Brianne and Serena Williams against..... me! God what a way to die!!!!!!!

Worf

Woochifer
06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Holy shyte! Last night's penultimate episode has me picking my jaw off the floor, and slapping myself silly -- "Did I just see that?!" Man, that was shocking, brutal, and unrelenting. The second to last episode has consistently flipped the chess board and left the audience picking up the pieces in the aftermath (S1 with Ned's beheading, and S2 with the Battle of Blackwater). This season was no exception.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It just goes to the greatness of this show -- no character is safe. Just as Ned's shocking beheading in Season One reset the narrative, killing Robb and Catelyn does the same thing. Killing a pivotal character like Ned transformed that particular plot thread into an archetypal avenging son revenge story. But, I can't think of any stories along these lines where the avenging son dies a non-heroic empty death, a tragic death as a consequence of his own choices, and the story leaves a death with no opportunity for redemption (at least in the near future with Bran and Arya out in the woods). GoT has so many conventional plot lines, but they get taken in unconventional directions. It's unpredictable and at times genuinely shocking.

Bar none, best show on TV.

klaus.klark
06-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Holy shyte! Last night's penultimate episode has me picking my jaw off the floor, and slapping myself silly -- "Did I just see that?!" Man, that was shocking, brutal, and unrelenting. The second to last episode has consistently flipped the chess board and left the audience picking up the pieces in the aftermath (S1 with Ned's beheading, and S2 with the Battle of Blackwater). This season was no exception.

It just goes to the greatness of this show -- no character is safe. Just as Ned's shocking beheading in Season One reset the narrative, killing Robb and Catelyn does the same thing. Killing a pivotal character like Ned transformed that particular plot thread into an archetypal avenging son revenge story. But, I can't think of any stories along these lines where the avenging son dies a non-heroic empty death, a tragic death as a consequence of his own choices, and the story leaves a death with no opportunity for redemption (at least in the near future with Bran and Arya out in the woods). GoT has so many conventional plot lines, but they get taken in unconventional directions. It's unpredictable and at times genuinely shocking.

Thank you for spoiler dude!!! try and leave a bigger gap next time!!! ta ra!!!

Worf101
06-06-2013, 05:36 AM

I knew "The Red Feast" or "Red Wedding" was a coming but I hated it just the same. There is no justice from the God's as Jamie once told Catlyn Stark at least not in this world. All I can take solace is that Stennis Baratheon burned three leaches and named 3 names or "usurpers" of the crown. I hated to see number one go down but I'm poppin' corn to see Baylon Greyjoy get popped. And as for smut faced Joffery? If you raffeled off the chance to kill that pimple with the proceeds going to balance the federal budget... cure world hunger or end global warming, you'd have the enough to solve all three in a fortnight. They can't design a death cruel enough for that punk.

Although I must say Lord Bolton's Bastard (last seen relieving Theon of his trusty tool) would certainly provide some jollies for all involved.

Worf

Feanor
06-06-2013, 09:03 AM
I knew "The Red Feast" or "Red Wedding" was a coming but I hated it just the same. There is no justice from the God's as Jamie once told Catlyn Stark at least not in this world. All I can take solace is that Stennis Baratheon burned three leaches and named 3 names or "usurpers" of the crown. I hated to see number one go down but I'm poppin' corn to see Baylon Greyjoy get popped. And as for smut faced Joffery? If you raffeled off the chance to kill that pimple with the proceeds going to balance the federal budget... cure world hunger or end global warming, you'd have the enough to solve all three in a fortnight. They can't design a death cruel enough for that punk.

Although I must say Lord Bolton's Bastard (last seen relieving Theon of his trusty tool) would certainly provide some jollies for all involved.

Worf
Anti-spoiler info: I haven't read the books and won't.

It seems very likely that Theon's tormentor is Ramsay Snow (Bolton), though I'm not sure why Theon didn't guess as much; (can you enlighten me?). Assuming that's so, then I likely Roose Bolton -- who has just murdered Robb Stark -- might very well know that Ned Stark's younger sons survive. And since Roose is apparently in cahoots with Tywin Lannister, it's possible to Tywin also knows the important titbit of info -- and that's bad news all round.

Clearly Jaime Lannister is being rehabilitated. Theon too might be being rehabilited though, of course, not without an appropriate level of suffering on his past.

Meanwhile, Daenerys Targaryen has emerged not only as luck and brave but also shrewd.

Worf101
06-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Anti-spoiler info: I haven't read the books and won't.

It seems very likely that Theon's tormentor is Ramsay Snow (Bolton), though I'm not sure why Theon didn't guess as much; (can you enlighten me?). Assuming that's so, then I likely Roose Bolton -- who has just murdered Robb Stark -- might very well know that Ned Stark's younger sons survive. And since Roose is apparently in cahoots with Tywin Lannister, it's possible to Tywin also knows the important titbit of info -- and that's bad news all round.

Clearly Jaime Lannister is being rehabilitated. Theon too might be being rehabilited though, of course, not without an appropriate level of suffering on his past.

Meanwhile, Daenerys Targaryen has emerged not only as luck and brave but also shrewd.

Yeah Daenerys much like Robb is crafty and wise beyond her years. But like Robb I'm sure she'll make mistakes... although she has Dragons... they're NO guarrantee she'll take the Iron Throne. Men are getting smarter, though they've not been around for 300 years or so, man has and I'm pretty sure some wizard or warriors been making plans on how to defeat them.

Even if Lord Bolton realizes that Bran or his brother are alive it can and will do him no good. Ariya's list of people to kill just gets longer and longer and longer... ye gads she's a lot of folks to put in the ground. Here's hoping she does...

Worf

ned
07-05-2013, 02:46 AM
Hey, It's awesome to see fans of GoT here, as I am one (hence my nickname) :)

I haven't red the books either and I don't know If I will cause I'm afraid it will ruin something for me and I really enjoy the TV series. Also, after 3rd season my main concerns are: I think Daenerys will have problems with the new guy Dario and he may ruin some plans for her.
Also, I hope Margery will ruin something for Joffrey...

Feanor
07-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Hey, It's awesome to see fans of GoT here, as I am one (hence my nickname) :)

I haven't red the books either and I don't know If I will cause I'm afraid it will ruin something for me and I really enjoy the TV series. Also, after 3rd season my main concerns are: I think Daenerys will have problems with the new guy Dario and he may ruin some plans for her.
Also, I hope Margery will ruin something for Joffrey...
Hi, Ned, Glad to see your enthusiasm for GoT.

Daenerys has proven beautiful, brave, lucky, and -- increasingly to this point -- shrewd: can the charm be broken? Maybe, as you suggest, Dario will upset the apple card. As for the evil, twisted Joffrey, we all hope for his imminent downfall. Will Margaery, a schemer herself but not nearly so evil, be the one to do it? What if it gets out that Joffrey isn't the son of King Robert but of Cersei and Jaime's incestuous relationship?

These plot twists are what make GoT so intriguing.

ned
07-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Hah, absolutely! About Margaery I remember her scene with Joffrey holding a crossbow. She seemed capable of killing... I also think her brother Loras may be a good schemer (he was the one who convinced Renly to become a king....).

recoveryone
06-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Time to dust off this thread as another season has come to an end. Season 4 to (just jumped on the bandwagon this season after watching the other 3 during a free HBO weenkend), Allowed a few favorite charactors to get even with those that have tormented them season. Not sure what Aryra plans to find/do at the Iron Bank, and What lies ahead of Jon Snow now that King Stanis has claimed victory. Will the new Sansa Stark grow claws or become one of little fingers pawns?

Ok Worf and the rest of you GOT fans jump in lets hear it

blackraven
06-19-2014, 07:28 AM
I suspect that Aria may become an assassin like the guy that gave her the coin.

Worf101
06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Riddle me this Batman...

Which of the two Stark girls is the most dangerous?

Arya Stark? Precocious tomboy turned stone killer of the North or....

Sansa Stark... a vuloptuous woman fully grown who can now lie and scheme with the best of em!!!!

Which one do you choose?

As for this season of GoT. It was great! Great pitched battles between armies and single combatants. Lying, intrigue..... and a universal thirst for revenge as everyone seems to have an axe to grind with somebody. Jon Snow was a lot less annoyting this year and Tyrian got a little less cuddly. Sansa finally grew the **** up as did Arya. Both learned the hard way that honor and right thinking in Westeros only gets you killed and your head chopped off. The only way to survive and conquer is to be a bigger, badder piece of chite that all the rest of em. Anything less and you die.

The only story line that I'm truly curious about is Bran and 3 Eyed Raven.... When he finally "jacks in" that'll be one interesting episode. Can't wait till next year!!!!

Worf