Will receiver improve sound quality if I already have great speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will receiver improve sound quality if I already have great speakers?

hershon
04-21-2004, 03:28 AM
Appologize if I'm sounding retarded here, I'm a novice and have picked up alot in the past few weeks reading this board. Anyway, I just got an Orb Mod1 5 speaker 1 sub setup and the speakers sound fantastic on my cheap piece of crap Koss C-220 DVD/receiver (prologic 1 5.1 surround sound) when playing both CD's and DVD's. They sound 500% better than the original Koss speakers the system came with (hey I only paid $150 for it on Ebay- the Orb speakers I got cost me $699). I play classic rock and blues CD's in a normal size living room in an apartment building. If I buy a much better receiver, will the sound quality improve even more and noticably with these great speakers or will I see little improvement on an already great sound because of the new speakers? Also will sound quality improve with a better DVD player in regards to both DVD's and CD's or will it be negligible? I'm not interested in getting a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver, so please address this in terms of a 5.1 surround sound receiver and DTS is not a dealmaker in terms of getting a better receiver. Please, if answering speak in layman not mathmatical technical terms.

markw
04-21-2004, 05:29 AM
The speakers ultimately can do only what they can do.

kexodusc
04-21-2004, 06:13 AM
If you don't have at least Dolby Digital in your current receiver (ie: just Pro Logic) then yes, a new 5.1 digital receiver will greatly improve the sound of your system.
Also, don't underestimate what a cleaner sounding, more powerful amp/receiver can do to a system. Speakers make a bigger difference, but amps/receivers can impact sound quality too.

hershon
04-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi,

I don't know if this changes your answer but my current system has both Dolby Digital 5.1 and Pro Logic 1.

If you don't have at least Dolby Digital in your current receiver (ie: just Pro Logic) then yes, a new 5.1 digital receiver will greatly improve the sound of your system.
Also, don't underestimate what a cleaner sounding, more powerful amp/receiver can do to a system. Speakers make a bigger difference, but amps/receivers can impact sound quality too.

kexodusc
04-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Without really knowing some specs, it's hard to guess how much of an improvement. I would suggest more power and better processing capabilities would probably improve sound quality over your current receiver. DTS is almost a standard today.
All depends how much money you're willing to spend, too.

Tarheel_
04-21-2004, 11:26 AM
If you have pre-outs on your current receiver, then purchase a used, inexpensive power amp and this will improve your sound quality. The pre-outs are on the rear and are usually labeled. Check out crutchfield.com and then view the back of a receiver if your unsure what to look for.

audiogon.com or ebay have nice used amps that should improve your sound.

On the other hand, if you have no pre-outs, then to improve sound quality you may need to purchase a newer receiver.