Walmart going down hill [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Walmart going down hill

Smokey
04-20-2013, 06:34 PM
I usually don't go to Walmart since it is out of my way, but last couple of time I been shopping in there, I have notice that shelves are almost half empty and any thing you need is out of stock.

They used to have good selection of shoes on stock, but now if you look there is almost no selection to speak of and most of them are not even priced as they are jumbles together.

That goes with recent news headline that most of Walmart grocery are not fresh and close to date of expiraton:

Wal-Mart has a problem with not-so-fresh groceries- MSN Money (http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=d19890ab-24fd-44b3-aaa0-6b13e67df881)

BTW, what happend to WM door greeters. Don't see them anymore :)

Feanor
04-21-2013, 04:11 AM
I haven't notice any deterioration locally, though we don't buy groceries at Walmart. It's rumoured that they will be opening a third store in our town; this will be closer than others to our own location which is fine because we do shop at Walmart for certain things.

Perhaps Walmart is feeling competition from other low-priced retailers. The competition has stepped to the WM challenge in most areas. E.g. Target has arrived in Canada; we now have two Target locations here in London ON.

TheHills44060
04-21-2013, 09:11 AM
There's a Super Kmart right across the street from Walmart here so I try to buy things there first but more times than not Walmart has the cheaper price.

dean_martin
04-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Smokey, you should take better care of your feet. I say this because I care.

Smokey
04-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Perhaps Walmart is feeling competition from other low-priced retailers.

What other competitions. Walmart ran them out of business :D

Target seem to trying distinguished itself from WM by offering better quality brands than what WM offer, and it seem to be working as their customers seem to be more uptown.

TheHills44 mentioned Kmart and their higher price than WM and I agree. That is why most of time Kmart's parking lot is a ghost town. They may need to take Target lead and rethink their marketing.

Smokey, you should take better care of your feet. I say this because I care.

I seem to have strings of bad luck with shoes lately, especially off shelf brands. The only type of shoes that seem to last longer (on my feet all day) and are comfortable are Italian shoes. But they tend to be pricy :)

blackraven
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Try some Clark's, Rock Ports, Ecco and Dunham shoes. They will cost more, be more comfortable, better for your feet and last longer. You can find some Rockports at famous foot wear though. Johnston Murphy makes excellent but pricey shoes as well.

3LB
04-23-2013, 06:59 AM
I've been resistant to do much of any food shopping at WalMart. The only reason I shop there at all is that their return policy is very liberal. On rare occasion do I buy a high ticket item (for Walmart) and seldom will I buy a food product unless its the kind with a high shelf life. I personally don't trust any big box store with my food. The only big box store I really think nails it in the quantity and quality department is Fred Meyers.

Walmart is a place where I go to buy something I need little to no help finding and I already know what I want.

Smokey
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
On rare occasion do I buy a high ticket item (for Walmart) and seldom will I buy a food product unless its the kind with a high shelf life. I personally don't trust any big box store with my food. The only big box store I really think nails it in the quantity and quality department is Fred Meyers.

IMO Kroger is probably the best place to go grocery shopping. They carry alot of their own brand products that quality is equal if not better than national brands and slightly cost less too.

Walmart keep running ad in local paper where they compare prices on list of grocery items bought from WM and Kroger, and show how much it cost less than kroger. But the ad doesn't say that if some of items on Kroger list were replaced by Kroger own brand, shopping at Kroger be cheaper.