50 inch 4K HDTV from China for $1300 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 50 inch 4K HDTV from China for $1300

Smokey
04-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Looks like Chinese have beaten japan and South Korea in a race to bring 4k Ultra-HD TV to the market, and with good price. Seiki just introduce LED 4K 120Hz HDTV with 2 year warranty for $1300.

Availabe now from ShopNBC.com:

Seiki 50" Slim LED 4K Ultra-HD 120Hz HDTV w/ HDMI Cable & Two Year Extended Warranty ShopNBC.com (http://www.shopnbc.com/Seiki_50_Slim_LED_4K_Ultra_HD_120Hz_HDTV_w_HDMI_Ca ble_Two_Year_Extended_Warranty/437-325.aspx?storeid=1&icid=OnAirLast1-_-SERTA%20AIR%20MATTRESS-_-437-325&cm_re=TV2-_-ONAIR-_-1)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Looks like Chinese have beaten japan and South Korea in a race to bring 4k Ultra-HD TV to the market, and with good price. Seiki just introduce LED 4K 120Hz HDTV with 2 year warranty for $1300.

Availabe now from ShopNBC.com:

Seiki 50" Slim LED 4K Ultra-HD 120Hz HDTV w/ HDMI Cable & Two Year Extended Warranty ShopNBC.com (http://www.shopnbc.com/Seiki_50_Slim_LED_4K_Ultra_HD_120Hz_HDTV_w_HDMI_Ca ble_Two_Year_Extended_Warranty/437-325.aspx?storeid=1&icid=OnAirLast1-_-SERTA%20AIR%20MATTRESS-_-437-325&cm_re=TV2-_-ONAIR-_-1)

There are so many issues with this, I don't have enough room to address them all. First, you would have to sit so close to the panel to see all of its 4K resolution(because of its small size) that getting good audio would totally impossible. 84" is the smallest you can go for the average room to get good audio along with the higher resolution. Secondly, 6.5ms response time will surely introduce image trails(fast motion blurring) as the pixel twisting is too slow to prevent it.

What about customer service? Do they have the ability to fix the panels if they arrive to your house defective? I highly doubt it - the Chinese are not really good in this area. No offense.

LED are notorious for flashlighting and uneven lighting over the panel.

No mention of 3D, and most manufacturers include this as standard on their 4K panels as this is a huge benefit of 4K panels - 1080P full resolution in each eye simultaneously.

I could go on, but my wind is short today. LOL

Smokey
04-20-2013, 07:14 PM
There are so many issues with this, I don't have enough room to address them all. First, you would have to sit so close to the panel to see all of its 4K resolution(because of its small size) that getting good audio would totally impossible.That TV probably make good PC monitor as we tend to sit closer for that application :)I agree about sitting too close for smaller 4K Ultra-HD TVs to see all the resolution. And I imagine when 4k TVs become main stream, right sitting distance becomes a non factor for smaller sets.
What about customer service? Do they have the ability to fix the panels if they arrive to your house defective? I highly doubt it - the Chinese are not really good in this area. No offense. You are probably right. I think that apply to any TV brands coming out of China.

BadAssJazz
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I am holding out for the OLED sets. Or even the 4K+OLED sets. I've been itching to get a new TV for a while now. If they will just get the prices down to reasonable sums (i.e., $4,000 or less), I'd be all over it.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I am holding out for the OLED sets. Or even the 4K+OLED sets. I've been itching to get a new TV for a while now. If they will just get the prices down to reasonable sums (i.e., $4,000 or less), I'd be all over it.

This is going to take a while I am afraid. OLED development has been extremely costly to panel manufacturers. Even at this point their panel yields have been pretty low as the manufacturers try and get these panels to meet their own personal specifications. As a result of this, prices are going to remain high until manufacturers can get consistent panel yields, and recoup their development costs.

My concern is not the price per se, but the technology reliability. It has no track record, and I have too many guinea pig technologies that I early adopted to that turned out to be sub par performers.