Hello to all [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all

bob r
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
i just wanted to say Hi! to all here am new here lol but not new to stereo EQ i have 2 power Amp's NAD S200 with a NAD s100 pre-amp and polk SDA Flag ships with 2 M&K sub's and a new TT Pro-Ject Debut carbon Ortofon 2M Red the TT i just got 4/11/2013

When i first hooked it up theirs a loud Hum and so the nightmare begins

Mr Peabody
04-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. With turntables hum is usually a ground issue, if yours has a 3rd wire for ground make sure it's connected to the ground screw on the preamp.

bob r
04-17-2013, 04:31 AM
Thank you so much for Replying to my post

i thought the same as you so i took the ground wire off to see if it got louder and it did so i guess it has a good ground
but i can feel a vibration when i touch the tone arm even with the Amp's turn off

do you think it's because of the Sub's most people don't have two subs and the flag ships are a large speaker

i never had any problem with my old B&O table but it had died so i brought the Pro-Ject and it cost me about $420.00

i have called the store and ask them if the one they had on display had the same thing going on and he told me that he also could feel the vibration on the tone arm he said yes he could
so i went over their to feel it for myself and it did we did talk about another table but the next on cost $699.00

i have since been back to the store a few times now the last time the clerk found out that their are screws that you take out when you get home that are their for shipping reasons witch he had removed for me when i left the store the day i brought it

but he didn't remove the rubber grommets under the motor mount so when i got back home i removed them both and that did help a lot

LeRoy
04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi bob r, welcome to the forum. Sounds like your bit of sherlock legwork is paying off. Happy listening the rest of the way.

Mr Peabody
04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
So now do you still get any noise when listening? They shouldn't sell stuff they can't set up. Vibrations do cause issues, if nothing else, it effects the sound. I'm not sure how your cartridge mounts, if tiny wires check to make sure firmly in place, if it plugs in make sure the screw is in place, there should be a screw that goes in the side of the cartridge to hold it in place to the arm. If your subs are too close to where the table is it could also cause issues. You might check around online to look for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) items to help with vibration control. You might also post your issue again in the "analog" forum, there are guys here that know a lot more about turntables than me.

bob r
04-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks again for all your help i will post this again in the Analog forums