MasterCylinder
04-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Starless
Lark's Tongue in Aspic, part 2
Tie -- Epitaph & Court of the Crimson King

(OK -- so I couldn't decide).

Jack in Wilmington
04-16-2013, 12:46 PM
It's funny but I hadn't listened to King Crimson since I had gotten my new speakers. I used to like 21st Century Schizoid Man and Court of the Crimson King and the others were meh. With MC's post, I pulled it back out and listened to it for the first time in a long time and a minor epithany. I had to skip 21st C S M as I couldn't stand the way it sounded and I really liked the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tracks and of course Court. Amazing how some new gear has changed my appreciation for this album.

MasterCylinder
04-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Tracks two & three (I TALK TO THE WIND and EPITAPH) are two of the really pretty Greg Lake performances..............great stuff.

Jack in Wilmington
04-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Tracks two & three (I TALK TO THE WIND and EPITAPH) are two of the really pretty Greg Lake performances..............great stuff.

Agreed. His vocals are sorely missed on their later works.

3LB
04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
All from the Red/Larks era, I guess I'll stick to vocal tracks

Starless (from Red)
One More Red Nightmare
The Night Watch

Both Red and Lark's Tongues In Aspic Pt2 are killer instrumental tracks though. Fallen Angel is a killer vocal performance by Wetton, maybe my fave of his, but this track goes on a tad too long and I'm not a fan of the musical passages with Fripp's cacophony of noise approach.

MasterCylinder
04-18-2013, 04:05 AM
All from the Red/Larks era, I guess I'll stick to vocal tracks

Starless (from Red)
One More Red Nightmare
The Night Watch

Both Red and Lark's Tongues In Aspic Pt2 are killer instrumental tracks though. Fallen Angel is a killer vocal performance by Wetton, maybe my fave of his, but this track goes on a tad too long and I'm not a fan of the musical passages with Fripp's cacophony of noise approach.

I hear ya'.
Without the talents of Bruford and Wetton keeping the "genius of Fripp" within reasonable limits, I would not have purchased KC albums.

Hyfi
04-18-2013, 04:35 AM
Really tough to just choose 3 but if pressured....

I talk to the Wind
Epitaph
Elephant Talk

3LB
04-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Without the talents of Bruford and Wetton keeping the "genius of Fripp" within reasonable limits, I would not have purchased KC albums. That's not to say I don't like the Discipline-era KC, but let's face it, one wonders how much of that was Belew and how much of it was Fripp. The eclecticism was there in the Discipline material, but it lacked the experimentalism of the earlier stuff.