Superbit DVDs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Superbit DVDs?

paul_pci
04-21-2004, 12:01 AM
I recently went shopping for DVD with a partner in crime, of course and I pointed out to her the so-called Superbit DVDs that are supposed to have great picture and sound. I have never seen one yet. Not willing to experiment with my money, I convinced her to buy a superbit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (I know, I'm such a bastard). Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to see for myself how great the superbits really are. But my question is this: If superbit DVDs are supposed to be so great and there are just under 50 available titles, why are there some many awful movies put out on superbit? For instance: Resident Evil, Jet Li, The One, Hollow Man, Anaconda. Is that supposed to make us home theater enthusiasts take this format seriously? I mean I wouldn't buy Resident Evil even if it were the best sound/picture mix known to the history of mankind. What are these companies thinking?

the hand of boredom
04-21-2004, 09:08 AM
I recently went shopping for DVD with a partner in crime, of course and I pointed out to her the so-called Superbit DVDs that are supposed to have great picture and sound. I have never seen one yet. Not willing to experiment with my money, I convinced her to buy a superbit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (I know, I'm such a bastard). Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to see for myself how great the superbits really are. But my question is this: If superbit DVDs are supposed to be so great and there are just under 50 available titles, why are there some many awful movies put out on superbit? For instance: Resident Evil, Jet Li, The One, Hollow Man, Anaconda. Is that supposed to make us home theater enthusiasts take this format seriously? I mean I wouldn't buy Resident Evil even if it were the best sound/picture mix known to the history of mankind. What are these companies thinking?

Although I feel most of the movies available in Superbit are not worth owning (or even watching once, like Resident Evil and Anaconda), there are a few selections that are sheer quality: Panic Room, Das Boot, Snatch and The Fifth Element come to mind. PR is a great movie, the video transfer is top notch and the soundfield is quite involving. DB is one of the great war movies of all time. Many will agree that this disc has one of the best audio mixes ever. Snatch is a clever little number with a good finish; picture is superb. 5thE has an amazing audio mix and some killer .1 information.

It may follow a similar track as DTS. When DTS discs were first released, the titles were few and far between. Today, DTS is thriving and most enthusiasts including myself would prefer a DTS mastered disc. SuperBit is rather young and I'm hoping it will flourish.

THOB

Lexmark3200
04-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Yeah, Ive also wondered the same thing too.....although I have not bought a Superbit DVD yet, there were a couple of good titles that I really wanted but didnt buy because I didnt see shelling out the extra cash for DTS sound when I already had the Dolby Digital versions which sounded powerful enough; two come to mind here: The Patriot and John Carpenter's Vampires. Both of these, released by Columbia, sound pretty awesome in standard 5.1 DD, and so I didnt see the need for stepping up to the apparently (from what I read) similar sounding DTS Superbit versions; picture quality is another thing. I dont think, on MY 27" screen, Im going to see the vast quality differences some of these Superbit titles boast.

Woochifer
04-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Well, it just has to do with how many crummy movies that Sony/Columbia has released in recent years!

In general, I've found some subtle picture quality improvements with the Superbit discs I've bought (Lawrence of Arabia and Crouching Tiger), but from what I've read on this and other boards, Superbit makes the biggest difference on large HD screens. The other area of improvement is with the inclusion of DTS soundtracks, which I almost always prefer

Lexmark3200
04-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Well, it just has to do with how many crummy movies that Sony/Columbia has released in recent years!

In general, I've found some subtle picture quality improvements with the Superbit discs I've bought (Lawrence of Arabia and Crouching Tiger), but from what I've read on this and other boards, Superbit makes the biggest difference on large HD screens. The other area of improvement is with the inclusion of DTS soundtracks, which I almost always prefer

Oh, true, Wooch....I always prefer DTS as well, but some titles, like the ones I mentioned, The Patriot and Vampires, I didnt THINK would actually benefit greatly from DTS soundtracks instead of their already great sounding DD 5.1 mixes, thats all I meant. The DD mixes already sounded powerful and engaging, and I didnt believe DTS would improve all that much for the money they were asking for the titles.

Dee
04-24-2004, 10:07 PM

Funny, I too went shopping for DVDs , my so called "friend" led me to the superbit dvds and since I did not have the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in my collection, yes, he convinced me to buy it. It really did not take much convincing from him,I am a DTS fanatic, I wanted to see if there was a difference. Watched it this past weekend and I saw little difference in picture quality, sound was great, but my sound system is great anyway. Bottom line not worth the money. But I hope my friend enjoyed the movie at my expense. Good save Paul

paul_pci
04-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Funny, I too went shopping for DVDs , my so called "friend" led me to the superbit dvds and since I did not have the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in my collection, yes, he convinced me to buy it. It really did not take much convincing from him,I am a DTS fanatic, I wanted to see if there was a difference. Watched it this past weekend and I saw little difference in picture quality, sound was great, but my sound system is great anyway. Bottom line not worth the money. But I hope my friend enjoyed the movie at my expense. Good save Paul

Of course I enjoyed it, but have to agree that I didn't notice any profound difference. Maybe when you plunk down your life savings for a flat panel we can revist the superbit debate.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Superbit improvements are not noticed on analog televisions. The downconversion process keeps that from happening. Improvements will also not be noticed on televisions 36" and smaller. Superbit DVD's are aimed at consumers with progressive scan DVD players and either high end front projection systems, or digital large screen rear projection systems.

You also have to know what you are looking for when it comes to improvements in the video quality. If you don't know what video '"ringing" looks like, then you probably won't notice that most have little or none. If you don't know what video "halo" is, then you probably won't notice any improvement.

The point I am trying to make is you have to know what to look for in order to notice improvements.

One person who commented should get a SPL meter and actually calibrate his sound system before commenting on the audio of any DVD title. How in the heck are you supposed to hear the difference between audio formats without this basic tenet being followed.

The quality of the mastering done on both audio and video(depending on the up keep of the printmaster) is a bit better than on the "average" DVD.

Lexmark3200
04-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Superbit improvements are not noticed on analog televisions. The downconversion process keeps that from happening. Improvements will also not be noticed on televisions 36" and smaller. Superbit DVD's are aimed at consumers with progressive scan DVD players and either high end front projection systems, or digital large screen rear projection systems.

You also have to know what you are looking for when it comes to improvements in the video quality. If you don't know what video '"ringing" looks like, then you probably won't notice that most have little or none. If you don't know what video "halo" is, then you probably won't notice any improvement.

The point I am trying to make is you have to know what to look for in order to notice improvements.

One person who commented should get a SPL meter and actually calibrate his sound system before commenting on the audio of any DVD title. How in the heck are you supposed to hear the difference between audio formats without this basic tenet being followed.

The quality of the mastering done on both audio and video(depending on the up keep of the printmaster) is a bit better than on the "average" DVD.

Calibrated however it may be, on my particular system, the standard Dolby Digital mix sounded fine for "The Patriot" and "John Carpenters Vampires", two DVDs which are offered in Superbit; all I was saying was that I didnt think, based on what I experienced with the aggressive Dolby Digital mixes of these films, that these soundtracks needed to be improved upon IMHO via DTS offerings as well.

04-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Calibrated however it may be, on my particular system, the standard Dolby Digital mix sounded fine for "The Patriot" and "John Carpenters Vampires", two DVDs which are offered in Superbit; all I was saying was that I didnt think, based on what I experienced with the aggressive Dolby Digital mixes of these films, that these soundtracks needed to be improved upon IMHO via DTS offerings as well.

My question to you is how do you know that these soundtracks won't have a subtle improvement when encoded in Dts. Is this your educated observation, or just a uneducated guess?

What is sound fine?

Your sound fine may be my sound okay.

My suggestion is that you calibrate and actually listen to the Dts mixes. If you fine IYO that the mixes sound the same, then so be it. That is a educated observation even if others don't agree.

Doing reviews however good intentioned they are with a uncalibrated system is foolish. Reviewers have reference systems that allow them to see and hear every detail in the visual and audio. A uncalibrated system is unable to do any of this. Perhaps if you did, you wouldn't have to have every review sound like a broken " this soundtracks is okay" record when you post. You don't receive responses because a calibrated system will likely yield a much different result than yours. For instance you Juarassic Park schmeel. I got exactly opposite results than you did on my system. The roar of the dinosaur and its steps literally shook my room to pieces. You said the bass is not all that. I say that you should probably look at more than just the bass when doing audio reviews. Your thinking is one deminsional, my approach would be more detailed(bass, music, sound effects, dialog clarity, and imaging) which constitutes a deeper listening level.

If you audio is not calibrated, then it is likely your video is either. How can you talk about shadow detail, edge enhancement, halo(ing), sharpness, black levels and any other such subject if you set is incapable of producing any of these at a reasonable level?

These are just some thought for you to ponder. Now if you don't care about any of this, then don't expect to have any meaningful dialog about the quality of DVD's that you review. Why would anyone who has taken the time to calibrate their system want to have a dialog with someone who hasn't? Think about it.

Lexmark3200
04-27-2004, 06:45 PM
My question to you is how do you know that these soundtracks won't have a subtle improvement when encoded in Dts. Is this your educated observation, or just a uneducated guess?

What is sound fine?

Your sound fine may be my sound okay.

My suggestion is that you calibrate and actually listen to the Dts mixes. If you fine IYO that the mixes sound the same, then so be it. That is a educated observation even if others don't agree.

Doing reviews however good intentioned they are with a uncalibrated system is foolish. Reviewers have reference systems that allow them to see and hear every detail in the visual and audio. A uncalibrated system is unable to do any of this. Perhaps if you did, you wouldn't have to have every review sound like a broken " this soundtracks is okay" record when you post. You don't receive responses because a calibrated system will likely yield a much different result than yours. For instance you Juarassic Park schmeel. I got exactly opposite results than you did on my system. The roar of the dinosaur and its steps literally shook my room to pieces. You said the bass is not all that. I say that you should probably look at more than just the bass when doing audio reviews. Your thinking is one deminsional, my approach would be more detailed(bass, music, sound effects, dialog clarity, and imaging) which constitutes a deeper listening level.

If you audio is not calibrated, then it is likely your video is either. How can you talk about shadow detail, edge enhancement, halo(ing), sharpness, black levels and any other such subject if you set is incapable of producing any of these at a reasonable level?

These are just some thought for you to ponder. Now if you don't care about any of this, then don't expect to have any meaningful dialog about the quality of DVD's that you review. Why would anyone who has taken the time to calibrate their system want to have a dialog with someone who hasn't? Think about it.

I dont really care who replies and who doesnt, and BELIEVE ME, Terrence --- PLENTY of people reply to my posts in other forums and on other sites regarding DVD reviews I do, and most agree with the sound results I am getting from these films --- I SWEAR TO YOU ON A DEAD RELATIVES' GRAVESITE that on Home Theater Forum.com, there was a THX engineer who claimed on Jurassic Park's DTS DVD, EVEN THE CORRECTED VERSION, the bass did not shake foundations on the T Rex scene as expected or as compared to other bass-rich soundtracks such as Dreamworks' The Haunting....I SWEAR I READ THIS....he even told people in the discussion about JP that DO NOT EXPECT, EVEN ON THE CORRECTED DISC, THE BASS TO RIVAL MODERN SOUNDTRACKS.....I am NOT the only one who feels this way about Jurassic Park; in fact, there is an online petition site for folks who feel the DTS LFE channel is STILL not up to par for so called demo quality sequences; they are petitioning LEE Marketing AND Universal Studios on this....I HAVE SEEN THE SITE.

My reviews are not really for others to comment on; they are pretty much there to share information with others on what I found on MY particular setup and see if others had likewise results; I dont care if I didnt get any replies, really, to the Jurassic Park post --- I get plenty of replies and quality, worthwhile insight in other forums and on the Favorite Films forum from the likes of Kelsci and others (who agrees with me that Godzilla was a terrible film and that Finding Nemo had a surprisingly refreshing 5.1 EX mix to name a couple of examples). Call it "shlock" or whatever it is you called it; still doesnt change the fact that millions of visitors to home theater forum read this gentleman's findings of Jurassic Park's continued DTS problem....even WITH my sub calibrated professionally over this past weekend.

magictooth
04-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Just curious if you've got a good monitor to watch from. I noticed on my system that the Superbit DVD is head and shoulders above the other version that I have. Granted the other version is an overseas disk, but even so it is still a DVD. The bit rate on the overseas version averages about 3-4Mbps. The Superbit version averages about 8-9 Mbps.

I would doubt whether you'd see and hear a big difference if the bit rate on the non-superbit DVD is in the 8-9 range such as in movies like Gladiator, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc., but if you're comparing to some regular movies that have a very low 3-4 bit rate I think that you should be able to see and hear a difference.

04-28-2004, 10:46 AM
I dont really care who replies and who doesnt, and BELIEVE ME, Terrence --- PLENTY of people reply to my posts in other forums and on other sites regarding DVD reviews I do, and most agree with the sound results I am getting from these films

I think you are fooling yourself man. You have done about 8 reviews here, and have exactly zero responses on 7 of those, and maybe 2-3 responses on one. It is pretty easy to say on THIS sight that you get plenty on another site, but the proof is in the pudding.

--- I SWEAR TO YOU ON A DEAD RELATIVES' GRAVESITE that on Home Theater Forum.com, there was a THX engineer who claimed on Jurassic Park's DTS DVD, EVEN THE CORRECTED VERSION, the bass did not shake foundations on the T Rex scene as expected or as compared to other bass-rich soundtracks such as Dreamworks' The Haunting....

I have a big problem with this statement. As a engineer you understand that each soundtrack is unique to the movie story telling experience. It is stupid to compare the soundtrack of one genre of movie to a movie with a different storyline, and different genre altogether. Any competent engineer would not make the mistake of doing so. Also, since I own all three DVD's, I checked to see if THX approved the mastering of this DVD. It does not, so I highly doubt that ANY THX engineer would have any frame of reference regarding the DVD's soundtrack, and therefore cannot comment on its quality.

II SWEAR I READ THIS....he even told people in the discussion about JP that DO NOT EXPECT, EVEN ON THE CORRECTED DISC, THE BASS TO RIVAL MODERN SOUNDTRACKS....

This statement is ambigous and means nothing really. No bass is consistant from movie to movie. It is presented in different amounts based on the mixer enterpretation of the action on the screen. To compare the amount of bass from one movie to the next is mixing apples with oranges. I know for a fact that the stomps in JP extend down to 20hz at very high levels. I have 1/3 octave spectrum analyzers on all of my channels including the LFE channel that tell me this. So by any standard it has as much deep bass as any movie of the same genre.

.I am NOT the only one who feels this way about Jurassic Park; in fact, there is an online petition site for folks who feel the DTS LFE channel is STILL not up to par for so called demo quality sequences; they are petitioning LEE Marketing AND Universal Studios on this....I HAVE SEEN THE SITE

Why in the hell would anyone petition a marketing company regarding the soundtrack of a move? They do not have any control of that AT ALL.. They cannot correct any soundtrack problems whatsoever. Can you provide a link to this sight so I can tell the people what fools they are!

.My reviews are not really for others to comment on; they are pretty much there to share information with others on what I found on MY particular setup and see if others had likewise results;

How many others have YOUR particular setup? How many people have YOUR setup uncalibrated just like you do?
Why would you think this information is valueable to others? Sharing information denotes an exchange of information. No one is responding to your reviews, so where is the exchange? 99% of the people on this site don't have YOUR setup uncalibrated as you do so just who is benefitting from this information?

. I dont care if I didnt get any replies, really, to the Jurassic Park post --- I get plenty of replies and quality, worthwhile insight in other forums and on the Favorite Films forum from the likes of Kelsci and others;

Who are you fooling? Yourself? I can plainly see who has responded to your Jaurassic Park post. Where are these other forums? Can you provide a link?

. Call it "shlock" or whatever it is you called it; still doesnt change the fact that millions of visitors to home theater forum read this gentleman's findings of Jurassic Park's continued DTS problem..

Millions of visitors may read the gentlemens comments regarding Jaurassic Park(which I think are wrong from the get go) but they are obviously not reading your reviews. This "problem" you mention is no problem at all. You are making this up. The soundtrack that is on the corrected DVD is one that was approved(and corrected) by Universal. So where is the problem?

. ...even WITH my sub calibrated professionally over this past weekend.

Does it make sense to you to have your sub calibrated professionally, but not your other speakers? Something is not adding up here. What "professional" would agree to calibrate your sub, but neglect to calibrate you other speakers? If he did as you say, he(or she) is NOT a professional. How could he do this WITHOUT calibrating the other speakers? Most "professionals" calibrate the sub 3-5db louder than the center speaker. How could your "professional" do this when in your system the center speaker isn't even calibrated correctly. I think you are making this up also. I just want you to know that you are not fooling anyone here. Without any supporting evidence, you are seriously lacking in credibility.

Lexmark3200
04-28-2004, 11:02 AM
I think you are fooling yourself man. You have done about 8 reviews here, and have exactly zero responses on 7 of those, and maybe 2-3 responses on one. It is pretty easy to say on THIS sight that you get plenty on another site, but the proof is in the pudding.

I have a big problem with this statement. As a engineer you understand that each soundtrack is unique to the movie story telling experience. It is stupid to compare the soundtrack of one genre of movie to a movie with a different storyline, and different genre altogether. Any competent engineer would not make the mistake of doing so. Also, since I own all three DVD's, I checked to see if THX approved the mastering of this DVD. It does not, so I highly doubt that ANY THX engineer would have any frame of reference regarding the DVD's soundtrack, and therefore cannot comment on its quality.

This statement is ambigous and means nothing really. No bass is consistant from movie to movie. It is presented in different amounts based on the mixer enterpretation of the action on the screen. To compare the amount of bass from one movie to the next is mixing apples with oranges. I know for a fact that the stomps in JP extend down to 20hz at very high levels. I have 1/3 octave spectrum analyzers on all of my channels including the LFE channel that tell me this. So by any standard it has as much deep bass as any movie of the same genre.

Why in the hell would anyone petition a marketing company regarding the soundtrack of a move? They do not have any control of that AT ALL.. They cannot correct any soundtrack problems whatsoever. Can you provide a link to this sight so I can tell the people what fools they are!

How many others have YOUR particular setup? How many people have YOUR setup uncalibrated just like you do?
Why would you think this information is valueable to others? Sharing information denotes an exchange of information. No one is responding to your reviews, so where is the exchange? 99% of the people on this site don't have YOUR setup uncalibrated as you do so just who is benefitting from this information?

Who are you fooling? Yourself? I can plainly see who has responded to your Jaurassic Park post. Where are these other forums? Can you provide a link?

Millions of visitors may read the gentlemens comments regarding Jaurassic Park(which I think are wrong from the get go) but they are obviously not reading your reviews. This "problem" you mention is no problem at all. You are making this up. The soundtrack that is on the corrected DVD is one that was approved(and corrected) by Universal. So where is the problem?

Does it make sense to you to have your sub calibrated professionally, but not your other speakers? Something is not adding up here. What "professional" would agree to calibrate your sub, but neglect to calibrate you other speakers? If he did as you say, he(or she) is NOT a professional. How could he do this WITHOUT calibrating the other speakers? Most "professionals" calibrate the sub 3-5db louder than the center speaker. How could your "professional" do this when in your system the center speaker isn't even calibrated correctly. I think you are making this up also. I just want you to know that you are not fooling anyone here. Without any supporting evidence, you are seriously lacking in credibility.

"I think you are fooling yourself man. You have done about 8 reviews here, and have exactly zero responses on 7 of those, and maybe 2-3 responses on one. It is pretty easy to say on THIS sight that you get plenty on another site, but the proof is in the pudding."

Really? You really, really do? Again, I DO NOT CARE if there were no responses.....I HAVE GOTTEN PLENTY OF RESPONSES FOR OTHER DVD REVIEWS....ON HERE....so I STILL do not know what you are talking about, at all. Maybe I didnt get any on Jurassic Park, because it seems to be a shared consensus on the Internet that this has been an ongoing problem, but I have received replies and analysis on DVD reviews I have done. And if my system is so far off, calibration-wise, why do many agree with the sound I have gotten from some particular soundtracks? Why is that? I do not need to prove to you that I get replies on another site; I wouldnt waste my time. I KNOW I get replies on other sites I belong to, with the same topic titles, in fact.

"I have a big problem with this statement. As a engineer you understand that each soundtrack is unique to the movie story telling experience. It is stupid to compare the soundtrack of one genre of movie to a movie with a different storyline, and different genre altogether. Any competent engineer would not make the mistake of doing so. Also, since I own all three DVD's, I checked to see if THX approved the mastering of this DVD. It does not, so I highly doubt that ANY THX engineer would have any frame of reference regarding the DVD's soundtrack, and therefore cannot comment on its quality."

Why is it STUPID to compare these soundtracks? In other words, Jurassic Park's STORYTELLING EXPERIENCE is DIFFERENT from the Haunting's.....IN A NUTSHELL? No way. Sure, one is a haunted home film and one deals with resurrecting extinct species, but both are supposed to deliver subterranean bass....and this gentleman WAS a certified THX employee; I am trying to find the site and the quote where I read this as I type. AND I NEVER SAID TERRENCE ---- NEVER ON MY LIFE --- SAID THAT JURASSIC PARK WAS THX CERTIFIED....I KNOW IT WASNT.....I NEVER EVER EVER HINTED TOWARD THAT.

"This statement is ambigous and means nothing really. No bass is consistant from movie to movie. It is presented in different amounts based on the mixer enterpretation of the action on the screen. To compare the amount of bass from one movie to the next is mixing apples with oranges. I know for a fact that the stomps in JP extend down to 20hz at very high levels. I have 1/3 octave spectrum analyzers on all of my channels including the LFE channel that tell me this. So by any standard it has as much deep bass as any movie of the same genre."

Well, whatever you may call it, Mr. Terrible, I know the bass I am experiencing in my system when playing back this DVD --- THIS DVD IN PARTICULAR --- did not deliver the kitchen dishes-shaking promise all the worldwide reviews are claiming it should with the corrected algorithm and LFE track; when the T Rex arrives at approximately 1:01 (I believe chapter 11), his footsteps shake my floors better than the original pressing of this disc, sure, but they didnt send the pictures flying off my windowsill....THATS all I am saying.

"Why in the hell would anyone petition a marketing company regarding the soundtrack of a move? They do not have any control of that AT ALL.. They cannot correct any soundtrack problems whatsoever. Can you provide a link to this sight so I can tell the people what fools they are!"

LEE MARKETING in TEXAS was handling the CORRECTIONS of the DVDs for Universal; they TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE THAT THEY WERE WORKING WITH UNIVERSAL ON THE SOUND PROBLEMS....there was a site...I believe it was audiorevolutions.com, that had a thread regarding "spanking Universal Studios and Lee Marketing for such a delay and less-than-stellar improvement on this DVD...." Again, LEE MARKETING told me over the phone they had their hands in the audio corrections. I will give you their phone number if you so require it.

"How many others have YOUR particular setup? How many people have YOUR setup uncalibrated just like you do?
Why would you think this information is valueable to others? Sharing information denotes an exchange of information. No one is responding to your reviews, so where is the exchange? 99% of the people on this site don't have YOUR setup uncalibrated as you do so just who is benefitting from this information?"

And now, in the United States of America, we cannot just SHARE information for the sake of shaing it with others because the know-it-all Terrence says so, is that how it works? I share these reviews just to share them; I require no exchange of information. I require no senseless, meaningless ramblings such as yours....or hurtful comments. These aren't necessary. I merely post them INCASE others have found similar results on the DVD playback --- AS HAS BEEN THE CASE IN MORE EXAMPLES THAN YOU SITE --- or if they have found different results. I TOTALLY RESPECT those who find different results on Dolby Digital and DTS sound on certain DVDs, and discuss these differences like a human being. What you say to me here means absolutely nothing to me.

And you say I am not fooling anyone on here? Who exactly am I trying to fool, may I ask you? Im not trying to fool anyone, so dont make yourself out to be so important by trying to, again, beat up on someone who does not have the exact same technical know-how as you.

And you aren't bullying anyone on here, either.

04-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Again, I DO NOT CARE if there were no responses.....I HAVE GOTTEN PLENTY OF RESPONSES FOR OTHER DVD REVIEWS....ON HERE....so I STILL do not know what you are talking about, at all

Where are these "plenty" of responses? I can plainly see that you have gotten none. Once again who are you trying to fool? I am noticing a trend here. When you cannot come up with a legitimate answer, you have brain failure(I don't know what you are talking about).

. Maybe I didnt get any on Jurassic Park, because it seems to be a shared consensus on the Internet that this has been an ongoing problem, but I have received replies and analysis on DVD reviews I have done.

I visit the hometheater forum. I do not see anywhere where they mention a problem with the corrected DVD. Can you provide a link so all of us will be enlighted. Also would you be good enough to provide a link to the sites where people have responded to your posts. Could it be that you got no responses because either people didn't agree with you, or didn't take you seriously.

. And if my system is so far off, calibration-wise, why do many agree with the sound I have gotten from some particular soundtracks?.

Where are these many you describe? I don't see them here. Of the few reviews you have done on disc I own, my findings are almost the polar opposite of yours. My system is tightly calibrated and the acoustics of my room are tweak to death, yet I found the bass in JP to be VERY strong and just about equal to what I heard in the theater. What's up with that?

. Why is that? I do not need to prove to you that I get replies on another site; I wouldnt waste my time. I KNOW I get replies on other sites I belong to, with the same topic titles, in fact.

You are making claims but refusing to back them up with facts. Do you have evidence that supports these claims you make? If not, then how can one take you seriously. You may know that you get replies, but WE don't know this. Especially since you get none here.

. Why is it STUPID to compare these soundtracks? In other words, Jurassic Park's STORYTELLING EXPERIENCE is DIFFERENT from the Haunting's.....IN A NUTSHELL? No way..

So let me get this straight, you think that the storytelling is identical for both movies? Last time I watch JP, it was about dinosaurs stomping around on a island. The last time I watched The Haunted, it was about a haunted house, ghosts, and spirits. These are about a different storytelling concepts as can be. Soundtracks are used to assist the storytelling, which would make every soundtrack unique to the story. In other words uncompareable.

. Sure, one is a haunted home film and one deals with resurrecting extinct species, but both are supposed to deliver subterranean bass....and this gentleman WAS a certified THX employee; I am trying to find the site and the quote where I read this as I type. AND I NEVER SAID TERRENCE ---- NEVER ON MY LIFE --- SAID THAT JURASSIC PARK WAS THX CERTIFIED....I KNOW IT WASNT.....I NEVER EVER EVER HINTED TOWARD THAT.

Both do deliver very deep bass, but at different levels. You didn't expect them to delivery identical levels did you? They are different movies and are mixed differently.

Just because a person says they are from THX doesn't mean they have all information regarding all soundtracks. What if the DVD is not THX certified, or mixed in a THX certified soundstage. Then how in the hell would THX know about the soundtrack. Only a sound engineer from Universal can verify whether any of the JP movies have problems with its soundtrack. Since the original JP mix has been corrected, I have heard no such complaints from Universal, or its sound department.

. Well, whatever you may call it, Mr. Terrible, I know the bass I am experiencing in my system when playing back this DVD --- THIS DVD IN PARTICULAR --- did not deliver the kitchen dishes-shaking promise all the worldwide reviews are claiming it should with the corrected algorithm and LFE track; when the T Rex arrives at approximately 1:01 (I believe chapter 11), his footsteps shake my floors better than the original pressing of this disc, sure, but they didnt send the pictures flying off my windowsill....THATS all I am saying.

It could be you are not experiencing it because your system is not calibrated(something you have admitted yourself) The common thread amoug those of us who ARE getting accurate deep bass levels seems to be proper calibration. What does that tell you?

04-28-2004, 03:12 PM
[

LEE MARKETING in TEXAS was handling the CORRECTIONS of the DVDs for Universal; they TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE THAT THEY WERE WORKING WITH UNIVERSAL ON THE SOUND PROBLEMS....there was a site...I believe it was audiorevolutions.com, that had a thread regarding "spanking Universal Studios and Lee Marketing for such a delay and less-than-stellar improvement on this DVD...." Again, LEE MARKETING told me over the phone they had their hands in the audio corrections. I will give you their phone number if you so require it..

When I try and look up your mentioned site, I am unable to find it. Secondly Lee Marketing could have been hired by Universal to handle the distributing end of this problem. It is HIGHLY unlikely a marketing company has the facilities to correct audio problems on a DVD. Since I know the whole story behind the reissue of the disc, I highly doubt that you know what you are speaking of.

And now, in the United States of America, we cannot just SHARE information for the sake of shaing it with others because the know-it-all Terrence says so, is that how it works?..

I do not think anyone has a problem with shared information. What becomes a problem is when that shared infomation is incorrect, or given by a non credible source. I person reviewing the technical merits of a DVD with a non calibrated audio and video system is not helpful when presented as fact.

I share these reviews just to share them; I require no exchange of information. I require no senseless, meaningless ramblings such as yours....or hurtful comments. These aren't necessary. I merely post them INCASE others have found similar results on the DVD playback .

Hurtful comments bohobohoweepweepweep. You poor picked on dude. I am feeling really bad for pointed out crap that you have made up.

The only way anyone would get simular results that you have is if their system is not calibrated either. A calibrated system sounds nothing like a uncalibrated one, and that is a fact.

AS HAS BEEN THE CASE IN MORE EXAMPLES THAN YOU SITE --- or if they have found different results. I TOTALLY RESPECT those who find different results on Dolby Digital and DTS sound on certain DVDs, and discuss these differences like a human being. What you say to me here means absolutely nothing to me..

Where are these cases? You have offered no proof of such, and we don't see it here. If what I say means nothing, then why are you stumbling all over yourself trying to justify yourself?

[quoteAnd you say I am not fooling anyone on here? Who exactly am I trying to fool, may I ask you? Im not trying to fool anyone, so dont make yourself out to be so important by trying to, again, beat up on someone who does not have the exact same technical know-how as you.

And you aren't bullying anyone on here, either.[/QUOTE]

Man do you have this passive/aggressive thing down pat. One moment you are lowly picked on TLADINY/Lexmark, the next moment you are not being bullied. You my friend are really full of it. YOu get the same response over and over again from many different people and you respond predictable in exactly the same way. It is VERY easy to see right through you dude.

Lexmark3200
04-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Where are these "plenty" of responses? I can plainly see that you have gotten none. Once again who are you trying to fool? I am noticing a trend here. When you cannot come up with a legitimate answer, you have brain failure(I don't know what you are talking about).

I visit the hometheater forum. I do not see anywhere where they mention a problem with the corrected DVD. Can you provide a link so all of us will be enlighted. Also would you be good enough to provide a link to the sites where people have responded to your posts. Could it be that you got no responses because either people didn't agree with you, or didn't take you seriously.

Where are these many you describe? I don't see them here. Of the few reviews you have done on disc I own, my findings are almost the polar opposite of yours. My system is tightly calibrated and the acoustics of my room are tweak to death, yet I found the bass in JP to be VERY strong and just about equal to what I heard in the theater. What's up with that?

You are making claims but refusing to back them up with facts. Do you have evidence that supports these claims you make? If not, then how can one take you seriously. You may know that you get replies, but WE don't know this. Especially since you get none here.

So let me get this straight, you think that the storytelling is identical for both movies? Last time I watch JP, it was about dinosaurs stomping around on a island. The last time I watched The Haunted, it was about a haunted house, ghosts, and spirits. These are about a different storytelling concepts as can be. Soundtracks are used to assist the storytelling, which would make every soundtrack unique to the story. In other words uncompareable.

Both do deliver very deep bass, but at different levels. You didn't expect them to delivery identical levels did you? They are different movies and are mixed differently.

Just because a person says they are from THX doesn't mean they have all information regarding all soundtracks. What if the DVD is not THX certified, or mixed in a THX certified soundstage. Then how in the hell would THX know about the soundtrack. Only a sound engineer from Universal can verify whether any of the JP movies have problems with its soundtrack. Since the original JP mix has been corrected, I have heard no such complaints from Universal, or its sound department.

It could be you are not experiencing it because your system is not calibrated(something you have admitted yourself) The common thread amoug those of us who ARE getting accurate deep bass levels seems to be proper calibration. What does that tell you?

Sure, that could be. But it was calibrated --- the whole thing WHETHER YOU BELIEVE ME OR NOT, does not matter one difference --- this past weekend with the services of American Hi Fi in Lynbrook, New York. I am still not getting the proper T Rex thump steps in the 11th chapter.

Now, what you say about both films being DIFFERENT and mixed at different levels ( or some such rhetoric) (and that is, The Haunting and Jurassic Park) is logical, and I DO IN FACT agree and claim that the guy I talked to on Home Theater Forum said the same thing, but he did say that even on the NEW Jurassic Park DVD, the levels are not PERFECT....they are not as strong as compared to modern soundtracks. I dont know where you are looking on that site, but there was AN ENTIRE THREAD----PAGES AND PAGES LONG---REGARDING THE SOUND OF THE NEW JP SOUNDTRACK....most people agreed that the LFE was heavier; some didnt, like me. Do a thread search for it and you will see it.

I have brain failure? THIS IS WHY I ASK YOU WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, DUDE: WHAT THE HELL are you referring to when you say that I CLAIMED that BOTH OF THESE FILMS HAVE IDENTICAL STORYLINES? I said they were not night and day in terms of theme staging --- what I meant was that they concentrate on ACTION, and that as such, BOTH SHOULD OFFER SUBTERRANEAN BASS LEVELS. I am finding that only on one of these DTS tracks.

And again, I do not need to prove to you that I have received replies on other reviews I have done. They are not for you, because you absolutely know it all about EVERYTHING Terrence. They are meant for human beings who have seen these films or perhaps have not and to share with human compassion their experiences with the DVD or their disagreement factors.

Tarheel_
04-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Sir TT, if this were a fencing duel, the man would be bleeding to death. ha ha ha i love it!!!!
I have a copy of the japanse version of JP in superbit and it rattles everything in my house (calibrated system of course). What is this guy talking about? He fusses about EVERY movie he "so called" reviewed. He is some kind of entertainment i guess...but really just a lonely guy who can do nothing but b*tch. Reminds me of an old girlfriend... Subs are like balls, you either have it or not. Peace.

Lexmark3200
04-28-2004, 05:02 PM
[

When I try and look up your mentioned site, I am unable to find it. Secondly Lee Marketing could have been hired by Universal to handle the distributing end of this problem. It is HIGHLY unlikely a marketing company has the facilities to correct audio problems on a DVD. Since I know the whole story behind the reissue of the disc, I highly doubt that you know what you are speaking of.

I do not think anyone has a problem with shared information. What becomes a problem is when that shared infomation is incorrect, or given by a non credible source. I person reviewing the technical merits of a DVD with a non calibrated audio and video system is not helpful when presented as fact.

Hurtful comments bohobohoweepweepweep. You poor picked on dude. I am feeling really bad for pointed out crap that you have made up.

The only way anyone would get simular results that you have is if their system is not calibrated either. A calibrated system sounds nothing like a uncalibrated one, and that is a fact.

Where are these cases? You have offered no proof of such, and we don't see it here. If what I say means nothing, then why are you stumbling all over yourself trying to justify yourself?

[quoteAnd you say I am not fooling anyone on here? Who exactly am I trying to fool, may I ask you? Im not trying to fool anyone, so dont make yourself out to be so important by trying to, again, beat up on someone who does not have the exact same technical know-how as you.

And you aren't bullying anyone on here, either.

Man do you have this passive/aggressive thing down pat. One moment you are lowly picked on TLADINY/Lexmark, the next moment you are not being bullied. You my friend are really full of it. YOu get the same response over and over again from many different people and you respond predictable in exactly the same way. It is VERY easy to see right through you dude.[/QUOTE]

Hahahhahahaha.....you make me laugh, Terrence....you really do...I have said it to Kelsci, and I will say it again....you are the world's biggest *******....yeah, thats right....you DO pick on people and you are an arrogant ass ---- EVERY SINGLE POST you provide people who I know who read these comments you put down here say "man, this guy is a real ****in ******* to talk this way to someone.....who the **** does he think he is?" YOU THINK I AM TRYING TO FOOL SOMEONE? YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT DUDE....YOU REALLY DONT. I was making observations about the Superbit topic until YOU butt in again and started your arrogant **** all over, once again. WHEN DID I START WITH YOU ABOUT ANYTHING IN THIS SUPERBIT DEBATE?

CAN YOU JUST TELL ME THAT-----WHERE DID I START WITH YOU IN PARTICULAR ON THIS SUPERBIT DEBATE? WHERE DID I DO THAT? WHERE? Show me. YOU STARTED IN WITH ME, so what are you TALKING about???

You are absolutely pathetic, Terrence.....man, I never heard someone talk more **** from the comfort of a home than you. Unreal. You know something? Youre not NEARLY worth the breath from my throat.

You truly are the world's biggest *******.

Lexmark3200
04-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Sir TT, if this were a fencing duel, the man would be bleeding to death. ha ha ha i love it!!!!
I have a copy of the japanse version of JP in superbit and it rattles everything in my house (calibrated system of course). What is this guy talking about? He fusses about EVERY movie he "so called" reviewed. He is some kind of entertainment i guess...but really just a lonely guy who can do nothing but b*tch. Reminds me of an old girlfriend... Subs are like balls, you either have it or not. Peace.

Hey ****heel,

Why would I be bleeding to death? Because I defended myself from guys like Terrence? AND WHEN DO I FUSS, may I ask? THERE ARE PLENTY OF DVDs I REVIEW WHICH I BRAG ABOUT THE SOUND.....there were PLENTY.

Films like Cold Creek Manor, Donnie Brasco and some others DID HAVE WEAK Dolby Digital soundtracks; they did, for a fact.

I AM FAR FROM LONELY....look who is talking about lonely....two guys like Terrence and ****heel who sit at home and do nothing but begin flame wars in message boards.....sounds like the two of you have some loving to get on with.....preferably in a hot tub?

3db
04-29-2004, 04:32 AM
According to one of the guys that work at Blockbuster who collects dvds, he said the improvements in the soundtrack are negligble at best and that the improvements are really made on the video side assuming like Sir TT had said, you own a digital display with a progressive scan DVD player.

Does the movie Das Boot only come in Superbit format?

04-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Well gentlemen,

There you have it. Once again good ole Lexmark is going into his name calling rage. This is becoming as predictable as the weather in the summer. When Lexmark finds he cannot provide evidence to what he says, or finds he has run out of answers, he name calls. Here are just some excerpts of this predictable behavior.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3754

He also states his motivation for doing movie reviews(Ebert wanna be) and I quote

provide these reviews so some people could get an idea of the sound and visual quality on some of these discs"

Now he wants you to get an idea of the sound(on a uncalibrated system) and visual quality(on a uncalibrated television). Does this make any sense to any of you?

Here is another where he makes a statement and has no proof to support what he says. Much like in this thread

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2783

Here is another example of good ole Lexmark asking the same question over and over(for nearly a year) with at least two different aliases. And what funny is everyone knows its him

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2828

Here you have Lexmark describing himself as a(and I quote)"experienced enthusiast" , yet he is asking questions on the difference between hooking up a CD player from it's coaxial, or RCA inputs. Does this sound like a question that a "EXPERIENCED" person should be asking? Notice once again he is chided for his attitude and then goes into the name calling much like he has done here

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3286

Now here is the EXPERIENCED one asking about what should a DVD player settings be for receiving Dts and DD. Isn't this a question that an EXPERIENCED person should already know? Read down the thread and you can see that this EXPERIENCED person is having trouble grasping something that should be basic to someone EXPERIENCED

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3284

Now this EXPEREINCED person is asking about setting his subwoofer levels. Now mind you, he wants to do this WITHOUT a spl meter.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3332

and another thread asking the SAME question again

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3291

Oh here is an interesting one. Lexmark or TLADINY or whatever comes out of nowhere and attacks me without any provacation whatsoever.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2927

Here is another question that an EXPERIENCED person should know, but Lexmark is definately asking it. I think this is the second time he is asking this question.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3331

As you can clearly see, Lexmark is not being bullied on, he is asking for every bit of grief he gets. He thinks of himself as an EXPERIENCED, yet the very BASIC concepts of hometheater completely ellude him.

He says that someone at THX commented on the hometheaterforum that the corrected JP soundtrack still has bass levels too low. However I have verified that the corrected DVD's output is within 1db of the laserdisc version which had very loud deep bass. This is also backed up to what my spectrum analyzers have recorded.

I asked him to provide a link to the thread, he refuses. I searched for it, and could find no reference. Why should anyone believe him

He says his sub was professionally calibrated, however a "professional" uses the center channel level as a reference for calibration. How do you calibrate to that channel when the center channel isn't even calibrated?

When you add all of this up, either you are dealing with a kid, or a grown person with some serious issues. Either way Lexmark has a rather bloated sense of self importance and really needs a reality check.

magictooth
04-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Wow, Sir TT you have some time on your hands, but I'm thinking that he probably deserves all the flames. LOL - great post!!

04-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Wow, Sir TT you have some time on your hands, but I'm thinking that he probably deserves all the flames. LOL - great post!!

Actually Magic, it took me about 7 minutes to do this all. I was on hold with the phone company and knocked it out. I love the search function...so handy when you need it.

Lexmark3200
04-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Actually Magic, it took me about 7 minutes to do this all. I was on hold with the phone company and knocked it out. I love the search function...so handy when you need it.

Ah-haaa.....I see....you have found proof that "I" have picked on YOU for out of the blue, no reason at all? That has never happened. It has always been the other way around.

And wow, your buddy there who also likes to bully those with less than stellar knowledge of home theater equipment says you have a lot of time on your hands is right....wow Terrence...for someone who flames people constantly on here for the same things he himself is doing, you sure have a hypocritical way about cha, lad.

I still contest Jurassic Park does not sound that bass-rich even after the re-purchase. Others on home theater forum have agreed. Look further, dude.

Oh, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you on all this; I was helping my girl with getting a glucometer for her relatively laid back case of diabetes.

Lexmark3200
04-30-2004, 12:05 PM

I see, Magictooth....and please tell me where it is in the Constitution of the United States that says I do not have the right to disagree that Jurassic Park's corrected DTS disc does not sound as hot as websites make it out to? Is that why I deserve the flames? Oh boy....you are right.....all because I have the right to disagree. You are taking someone's side because you know him better than I, and have never even heard my side of the story. That makes a great deal of sense. In a real court, you wouldnt even be considered to sit on a jury with a frame of mind like that.

04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Ah-haaa.....I see....you have found proof that "I" have picked on YOU for out of the blue, no reason at all? That has never happened. It has always been the other way around..

Sorry bud, the proof is in the pudding. I have provided links so that everyone can see very clearly that you are making crap up. The link is there for everyone to read so you have nowhere to hide on this one.

And wow, your buddy there who also likes to bully those with less than stellar knowledge of home theater equipment says you have a lot of time on your hands is right....wow Terrence...for someone who flames people constantly on here for the same things he himself is doing, you sure have a hypocritical way about cha, lad...

Do you have any proof of me flaming anyone. Put the link here so everyone can see it. If you cannot provide a link, then you are just shooting the crap here man. Everyone is a bully huh, but you are completely innocent. This has got to be a kid, no adult has this much of a passive/aggressive tendency unless they are mentally ill. Give me a link that shows I flamed you or ANYONE!!

I still contest Jurassic Park does not sound that bass-rich even after the re-purchase. Others on home theater forum have agreed. Look further, dude..

You made the claim, and its up to you to prove it. If there is no proof(and I couldn't find even a small shred of it) then its a lie, and you told it. SHOW ME THE LINK IN THE HOMETHEATERFORUM THAT SUPPORTS WHAT YOU SAY. Its not up to me to track down the statements you make.

Oh, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you on all this; I was helping my girl with getting a glucometer for her relatively laid back case of diabetes.

My prayers are with your girlfriend. That is a disease I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. No need to apologize for a delay, you didn't say anything when you got here anyway.

Lexmark3200
04-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Sorry bud, the proof is in the pudding. I have provided links so that everyone can see very clearly that you are making crap up. The link is there for everyone to read so you have nowhere to hide on this one.

Do you have any proof of me flaming anyone. Put the link here so everyone can see it. If you cannot provide a link, then you are just shooting the crap here man. Everyone is a bully huh, but you are completely innocent. This has got to be a kid, no adult has this much of a passive/aggressive tendency unless they are mentally ill. Give me a link that shows I flamed you or ANYONE!!

You made the claim, and its up to you to prove it. If there is no proof(and I couldn't find even a small shred of it) then its a lie, and you told it. SHOW ME THE LINK IN THE HOMETHEATERFORUM THAT SUPPORTS WHAT YOU SAY. Its not up to me to track down the statements you make.

My prayers are with your girlfriend. That is a disease I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. No need to apologize for a delay, you didn't say anything when you got here anyway.

And believe ME, Terrence, nothing of what you say means much to me, either. I just love hearing your arrogant answers to everyone and proving to MYSELF that there are people as evil, inconsiderate and downright evil as you are in this world. Its so sad, man. NOTHING of what you say means ANYTHING to me, Terrence, so stop trying to prove to me that you think you know more about everything than EVERYONE. I am FAR from a kid, and I am willing to put my life on the line to prove that to you. ANYTIME or ANYPLACE you want to meet to settle this like a couple of men, you name it. I do not need to prove to you where I saw the replies from people who thought YOU were taking their beginners-stage questions and bullying them around with your replies; I do not need to waste my time. You HAVE bullied people around on here -- especially noobs who come in looking for information, and I know it and dont need to prove it. You never bullied me or anyone, and I did that to YOU????? ARE YOU FOR REAL? Get off it, dude.

You cannot tell me that Jurassic Park sounds much better in the re-pressing than the original version. You simply cannot. But....keep it coming if you want. I will never believe ANYTHING you tell me or anything you tell anyone else in here because you seem to have the answers for the world, about the world and eveything in it....but you are flawed just like all of us because you are HUMAN-----do you know what that means, Terrence? HUMAN. You make mistakes and are wrong just like everyone else. I HAVE THE ABSOLUTE RIGHT GRANTED TO ME AS A CITIZEN OF THIS NATION to disagree with what people find and THEIR opinions --- and that group includes you.....I DISAGREE with the fact that the new pressing of JP has an absolute turnabout stellar LFE reproduction, and THAT IS MY RIGHT.

And in keeping with the theme of this original post, my original point about the Superbit DVD titles of "John Carpenter's Vampires" and "The Patriot" was that IN THESE INDIVIDUAL CASES, THESE films' Dolby Digital soundtracks sounded FINE to my ears....I PERSONALLY DID NOT WANT to re-buy these titles on Superbit because I PERSONALLY FELT --- WITH THE RIGHTS GRANTED TO ME AS AN AMERICAN --- that the DTS tracks wouldn't be necessary due to the fact that these were amazingly aggressive soundfields when played back in my system in standard 5.1; if YOU have found different --- TALKING ABOUT THESE PARTICULAR TITLES, VAMPIRES AND THE PATRIOT -- results, well, so be it.....if you claim that the DTS Superbit versions of these films are far better than their DD counterparts, you have the right to do that. But for my money, the standard 5.1 mixes of these films sound fine as is.

Widowmaker
04-30-2004, 01:01 PM

Tarheel, nobody asked for your opinion so why don't you let Lexmark and Terrence duke it out by themselves? You remind me of that Salacious Crumb monkey creature from Return of the Jedi who kissed up to Jabba the Hutt and repeated everything he said. That or the weak skinny conniving kid in school who had to sycophant up the school bully to make sure he didn't get his butt kicked. "Ha ha ha i love it!!!!" Can your nose get any more browner?

Either way, butt out and let these two settle it themselves without commentary from the peanut gallery.

Lexmark3200
04-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Tarheel, nobody asked for your opinion so why don't you let Lexmark and Terrence duke it out by themselves? You remind me of that Salacious Crumb monkey creature from Return of the Jedi who kissed up to Jabba the Hutt and repeated everything he said. That or the weak skinny conniving kid in school who had to sycophant up the school bully to make sure he didn't get his butt kicked. "Ha ha ha i love it!!!!" Can your nose get any more browner?

Either way, butt out and let these two settle it themselves without commentary from the peanut gallery.

Thank you, Widow....much appreciated. Thats all I was trying to do was duke this out one on one. Seems like everyone has a vicious comment about everything on this site; just a bunch of know it alls and ridiculous jerks who just aggressively start in with people when sometimes there is no reason for it. Im not trying to start with anyone, nor start any **** in here....all I was saying about the original subject on the Superbits was that the two films I mentioned, The Patriot and Vampires, sounded good enough not to repurchase in my opinion, thats all. Thats all I said. Just my personal opinion. And the reviews which Tarheel mentioned that I have done, if you look them up, are not always negative ones. I have found a lot of DVDs to have well-done soundfields.

Thank you again, Widow.

magictooth
04-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I see, Magictooth....and please tell me where it is in the Constitution of the United States that says I do not have the right to disagree that Jurassic Park's corrected DTS disc does not sound as hot as websites make it out to? Is that why I deserve the flames? Oh boy....you are right.....all because I have the right to disagree. You are taking someone's side because you know him better than I, and have never even heard my side of the story. That makes a great deal of sense. In a real court, you wouldnt even be considered to sit on a jury with a frame of mind like that.
Jeez, is that all it takes to not get selected for jury duty? Sign me up. I'm not disagreeing with you about any of your assertions, but the thing that you keep missing out on and the thing that Sir TT keeps trying to point out to you is that if you want to compare apples to apples you need to use the same type of measuring stick.

I realize that you absolutely love your system, and that's perfectly fine, but please realize that what most everybody else on this site is listening to is an SPL calibrated system. From all of your previous posts, your system hasn't been calibrated by SPL meter. This is fine for you and for you to make your own judgments and claims, but it doesn't give the rest of the AR members a solid common ground upon which we can validate your claims.

I realize that this may be somewhat akin to banging a large brick against my head, but I would suggest that you go to Radio Shack and get an SPL meter. This is a bit shady, and I personally wouldn't do this largely because my SPL is such a valuable tool, but keep the receipt and go home and write down your current settings, ie L=+8, C=+12, etc.... Use the test tones and the SPL meter to equalize all the channels, and then set your subwoofer to 6dB higher than the other channels. Go back to Radio Shack and return the SPL meter for a full refund. From there, listen with these settings for a week and decide for yourself whether you like the new settings or whether you prefer the old.

If at the end of the week, you prefer the old settings, just reset your receiver to what you had previously written down. If you at least go out and do this, I will assure you that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE INCLUDING SIR TT, will have anything bad to say about you in the future. Audio is one of the few passions that personal taste is all that counts. If you prefer the old settings then more power to you. Just give the SPL meter a try.

04-30-2004, 04:32 PM
And believe ME, Terrence, nothing of what you say means much to me, either. I just love hearing your arrogant answers to everyone and proving to MYSELF that there are people as evil, inconsiderate and downright evil as you are in this world..

If nothing I say means anything to you, then why are you going through all of the trouble to respond to my posting. Surely if it means nothing, you wouldn't give it the time of day. Oh, and thanks for the evil compliment. I have worked VERY hard to earn my title as the evil audio dude. Thanks for you confirmation that my efforts have paid off. Funny, I never have heard someone using a plurality to describe a singular event. Who is everyone, you?
Once again, the name calling but still no proof for his assertions. Perfectly predictable and consistant behavior. You are spinning like a top trying to deflect this back to me.

Terrence, so stop trying to prove to me that you think you know more about everything than EVERYONE...

I have shown link after link that my dog Darnell, and my two cats Tyrone and Jocelyn know more about audio than you do. Everyone reading this threads sees it, but its a shame you can't. Once again you are using the word everyone. This is directed towards YOU my friend. Everyone else has nothing to do with this.

I am FAR from a kid, and I am willing to put my life on the line to prove that to you. ANYTIME or ANYPLACE you want to meet to settle this like a couple of men, you name it..

Save this drama for ya mama. Only boys make these silly little challenges when you don't even know the person you are dealing with. Besides, even if I took you up on this stupid challenge there would only be one man coming to the party. That would be me, and there is no room at the party for little boyz.

. I do not need to prove to you where I saw the replies from people who thought YOU were taking their beginners-stage questions and bullying them around with your replies; I do not need to waste my time. You HAVE bullied people around on here -- especially noobs who come in looking for information, and I know it and dont need to prove it. You never bullied me or anyone, and I did that to YOU????? ARE YOU FOR REAL? Get off it, dude. .

Blah, blah, blah. This is the THIRD time I am asking you this. SHOW ME A LINK THAT SUPPORTS THIS CRAP. Give me examples. Surely if you can make this claim, you have a whole lot of proof to support it. I have proven(with links) that you are guilty of erratic behavior, are not very knowledgeable, you are lying about your identity, and you don't know a RCA connector from a DVD player. I have provided links that legitimitize my claims. If I am a bully, prove it. Post links that show I have bullied ANYONE. If you won't, then you have no right to even call me one. I believe you said it best-THIS IS AMERICA YOU CANNOT ACCUSE ANYONE OF ANYTHING UNLESS YOU HAVE PROOF. No court of law will convict anyone of anything without some proof. We are waiting.

. You cannot tell me that Jurassic Park sounds much better in the re-pressing than the original version. ..

Do the analysis yourself if you don't believe me, I did. I can provide link after link from reviews that shows that the LFE problem has been corrected. If you don't believe me then you can experiment for yourself(which I doubt you will do because you don't know how) I use Soundforge software to evaluate the levels(by frequencies) of any soundtrack for analysis. I took my old pressing(of which I kept)LFE channel and compared it with a new copy that was given to me. The defective version had a LFE that was a full 4db softer than the Dolby digital version. With the new version the LFE is a full 5db louder than the defective one, and 1db louder than the Dolby Digital one. You can purchase Soundforge online, and all you need is a DVD player in your computer capable of 5.1 channel output(my laptop has a high end audio soundcard). You can also purchase a spectrum analyzer that can monitor frequencies down to 15hz, this will verify my claims. The LFE matches the laserdisc version to within 1db. Before making in observations you must calibrate your sub to the proper levels, and use parametric eq to reduce any room induced peaks(which is something I KNOW you haven't done already) or you cannot expect to get the results that the re-recording mixer, and every reviewer has gotten. A uncalibrated sub is an inaccurate one.

. But....keep it coming if you want. I will never believe ANYTHING you tell me or anything you tell anyone else in here because you seem to have the answers for the world, about the world and eveything in it..

I didn't know we were talking about the world. I thought we were talking about soundtracks. I think you are mixed up.

. ..but you are flawed just like all of us because you are HUMAN-----do you know what that means, Terrence? HUMAN. You make mistakes and are wrong just like everyone else...

Yes I am human. Yes I can be wrong. But you have to PROVE me wrong. And that is something you have failed to do time and time again. If I am so wrong show me where I made a mistake. Every answer I give can be easily verified. So far you have failed to verify anything you have said. What's up with that?

. I HAVE THE ABSOLUTE RIGHT GRANTED TO ME AS A CITIZEN OF THIS NATION to disagree with what people find and THEIR opinions --- and that group includes you.....I DISAGREE with the fact that the new pressing of JP has an absolute turnabout stellar LFE reproduction, and THAT IS MY RIGHT....

What is stellar when describing LFE reproduction. You can't quantify it. Mumble jumble man. You can disagree if you want. But I submit to anyone who reads this. Are you going to believe the assertions of somebody who system isn't even calibrated, or one who system is calibrated and acoustical problem addressed? The answer is obvious.

. And in keeping with the theme of this original post, my original point about the Superbit DVD titles of "John Carpenter's Vampires" and "The Patriot" was that IN THESE INDIVIDUAL CASES, THESE films' Dolby Digital soundtracks sounded FINE to my ears....I PERSONALLY DID NOT WANT to re-buy these titles on Superbit because I PERSONALLY FELT --- WITH THE RIGHTS GRANTED TO ME AS AN AMERICAN --- that the DTS tracks wouldn't be necessary due to the fact that these were amazingly aggressive soundfields when played back in my system in standard 5.1....

It is widely believed that with all things being equal that Dts sounds subtly better on soundtracks than DD mixes of the same movie. Rather than just going on what you think, why don't you just compare the soundtracks with equal level and some sort of Double blind setup. That way you know for sure rather than speculating. What sounds fine to your ears(and your system is totally uncalibrated) may sound like crap to mine(my system is calibrated), so that is no basis for coming to a forum where facts are more valuable than opinion.

. ; if YOU have found different --- TALKING ABOUT THESE PARTICULAR TITLES, VAMPIRES AND THE PATRIOT -- results, well, so be it.....if you claim that the DTS Superbit versions of these films are far better than their DD counterparts, you have the right to do that. But for my money, the standard 5.1 mixes of these films sound fine as is.

Well I have shown how far your knowledge will take you. You don't even know how to calibrated a subwoofer even after given specific instructions. You don't even know what happens to the EX channel when played back on a 5.1 system. You don't even know how to setup you DVD player for Dts and DD playback(the links show that clearly)

It's a good thing that nobody here really listens to you at all. I have proven that you are totally incompetent when it comes to matters of hometheater. If you only make deciscion for yourself, that is okay. But your decision if given to a unsuspecting newbie could cost them a fortune. Nobody needs bad advice, and not many can afford to fix bad advice. America has another law, its called the truth in advertising law. You advertise yourself as EXPERIENCED. I have proven you otherwise. Does this mean that sense you lied about your experience that you are no longer going to post your silly foolishness? I hope so.

ThreeDHomer
04-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Who in his right mind reviews some Flight 747 Movie? I really love to see any post with his name in it because they all make me giggle. Let me tell you, I am so far from being even an amateur in this hobby of mine. I don't know how to calibrate a bicycle tire. I have a very modest system, but I am in love with it. It sounds good to me. I think it is sound fundamentally, but will only get better through time. Lexmark though....He seems like a guy who maxed out his $1000.00 Circuit City card and wants us all to know it. Lexie..Rest assured, I will continue to read every post you make here.

John

If nothing I say means anything to you, then why are you going through all of the trouble to respond to my posting. Surely if it means nothing, you wouldn't give it the time of day. Oh, and thanks for the evil compliment. I have worked VERY hard to earn my title as the evil audio dude. Thanks for you confirmation that my efforts have paid off. Funny, I never have heard someone using a plurality to describe a singular event. Who is everyone, you?
Once again, the name calling but still no proof for his assertions. Perfectly predictable and consistant behavior. You are spinning like a top trying to deflect this back to me.

I have shown link after link that my dog Darnell, and my two cats Tyrone and Jocelyn know more about audio than you do. Everyone reading this threads sees it, but its a shame you can't. Once again you are using the word everyone. This is directed towards YOU my friend. Everyone else has nothing to do with this.

Save this drama for ya mama. Only boys make these silly little challenges when you don't even know the person you are dealing with. Besides, even if I took you up on this stupid challenge there would only be one man coming to the party. That would be me, and there is no room at the party for little boyz.

Blah, blah, blah. This is the THIRD time I am asking you this. SHOW ME A LINK THAT SUPPORTS THIS CRAP. Give me examples. Surely if you can make this claim, you have a whole lot of proof to support it. I have proven(with links) that you are guilty of erratic behavior, are not very knowledgeable, you are lying about your identity, and you don't know a RCA connector from a DVD player. I have provided links that legitimitize my claims. If I am a bully, prove it. Post links that show I have bullied ANYONE. If you won't, then you have no right to even call me one. I believe you said it best-THIS IS AMERICA YOU CANNOT ACCUSE ANYONE OF ANYTHING UNLESS YOU HAVE PROOF. No court of law will convict anyone of anything without some proof. We are waiting.

Do the analysis yourself if you don't believe me, I did. I can provide link after link from reviews that shows that the LFE problem has been corrected. If you don't believe me then you can experiment for yourself(which I doubt you will do because you don't know how) I use Soundforge software to evaluate the levels(by frequencies) of any soundtrack for analysis. I took my old pressing(of which I kept)LFE channel and compared it with a new copy that was given to me. The defective version had a LFE that was a full 4db softer than the Dolby digital version. With the new version the LFE is a full 5db louder than the defective one, and 1db louder than the Dolby Digital one. You can purchase Soundforge online, and all you need is a DVD player in your computer capable of 5.1 channel output(my laptop has a high end audio soundcard). You can also purchase a spectrum analyzer that can monitor frequencies down to 15hz, this will verify my claims. The LFE matches the laserdisc version to within 1db. Before making in observations you must calibrate your sub to the proper levels, and use parametric eq to reduce any room induced peaks(which is something I KNOW you haven't done already) or you cannot expect to get the results that the re-recording mixer, and every reviewer has gotten. A uncalibrated sub is an inaccurate one.

I didn't know we were talking about the world. I thought we were talking about soundtracks. I think you are mixed up.

Yes I am human. Yes I can be wrong. But you have to PROVE me wrong. And that is something you have failed to do time and time again. If I am so wrong show me where I made a mistake. Every answer I give can be easily verified. So far you have failed to verify anything you have said. What's up with that?

What is stellar when describing LFE reproduction. You can't quantify it. Mumble jumble man. You can disagree if you want. But I submit to anyone who reads this. Are you going to believe the assertions of somebody who system isn't even calibrated, or one who system is calibrated and acoustical problem addressed? The answer is obvious.

It is widely believed that with all things being equal that Dts sounds subtly better on soundtracks than DD mixes of the same movie. Rather than just going on what you think, why don't you just compare the soundtracks with equal level and some sort of Double blind setup. That way you know for sure rather than speculating. What sounds fine to your ears(and your system is totally uncalibrated) may sound like crap to mine(my system is calibrated), so that is no basis for coming to a forum where facts are more valuable than opinion.

Well I have shown how far your knowledge will take you. You don't even know how to calibrated a subwoofer even after given specific instructions. You don't even know what happens to the EX channel when played back on a 5.1 system. You don't even know how to setup you DVD player for Dts and DD playback(the links show that clearly)

It's a good thing that nobody here really listens to you at all. I have proven that you are totally incompetent when it comes to matters of hometheater. If you only make deciscion for yourself, that is okay. But your decision if given to a unsuspecting newbie could cost them a fortune. Nobody needs bad advice, and not many can afford to fix bad advice. America has another law, its called the truth in advertising law. You advertise yourself as EXPERIENCED. I have proven you otherwise. Does this mean that sense you lied about your experience that you are no longer going to post your silly foolishness? I hope so.

Lexmark3200
05-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Who in his right mind reviews some Flight 747 Movie? I really love to see any post with his name in it because they all make me giggle. Let me tell you, I am so far from being even an amateur in this hobby of mine. I don't know how to calibrate a bicycle tire. I have a very modest system, but I am in love with it. It sounds good to me. I think it is sound fundamentally, but will only get better through time. Lexmark though....He seems like a guy who maxed out his $1000.00 Circuit City card and wants us all to know it. Lexie..Rest assured, I will continue to read every post you make here.

John

And John my good friend, you are the world's largest PUTZ next to Sir *******, because on countless sites, such as audioreview.com, they have MASSIVE THREADS about the Airport Terminal Pack....Im not the only one who has reviewed these films.

John, I SWEAR TO YOU that I didnt buy my gear at Circuit City, as a matter of fact I bought it in NYC at a fairly higher-end shop, so your reply means nothing as do all of your words.

John, no need to assure me of anything.....just keep taking the time to read all my posts! Im all the better for it so losers like you can continue wasting their time reading while I inform those who are interested in some of the films I review and comment on.

God bless ye, man!

Lexmark3200
05-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Jeez, is that all it takes to not get selected for jury duty? Sign me up. I'm not disagreeing with you about any of your assertions, but the thing that you keep missing out on and the thing that Sir TT keeps trying to point out to you is that if you want to compare apples to apples you need to use the same type of measuring stick.

I realize that you absolutely love your system, and that's perfectly fine, but please realize that what most everybody else on this site is listening to is an SPL calibrated system. From all of your previous posts, your system hasn't been calibrated by SPL meter. This is fine for you and for you to make your own judgments and claims, but it doesn't give the rest of the AR members a solid common ground upon which we can validate your claims.

I realize that this may be somewhat akin to banging a large brick against my head, but I would suggest that you go to Radio Shack and get an SPL meter. This is a bit shady, and I personally wouldn't do this largely because my SPL is such a valuable tool, but keep the receipt and go home and write down your current settings, ie L=+8, C=+12, etc.... Use the test tones and the SPL meter to equalize all the channels, and then set your subwoofer to 6dB higher than the other channels. Go back to Radio Shack and return the SPL meter for a full refund. From there, listen with these settings for a week and decide for yourself whether you like the new settings or whether you prefer the old.

If at the end of the week, you prefer the old settings, just reset your receiver to what you had previously written down. If you at least go out and do this, I will assure you that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE INCLUDING SIR TT, will have anything bad to say about you in the future. Audio is one of the few passions that personal taste is all that counts. If you prefer the old settings then more power to you. Just give the SPL meter a try.

My system has been calibrated --- as I failed to mention in that other post to Sir ******* --- by some good folks at American Hi Fi of Lynbrook, New York. I mentioned the subwoofer; it has been the whole system. And you are right, PERSONAL TASTE is what counts in the end....PERSONAL TASTE. Thats what I was fighting for originally, and what I will probably return to once playing the system with the calibrated settings.

Lexmark3200
05-01-2004, 09:11 AM

Why? Because it is pure FUN! So why do you respond back to me if you claim that what I said no one has listened to either? Hmmmmm......the loser effect that seems to populate this board is coming into full stream again.....and sure, folks have replied to me, and like I said, Im not going to waste my time citing when or where, that they dont understand why you have to be so harsh on them for the replies you provide....great, Terrence! Keep it up!

Your cats, huh? Find that hard to believe. I know more about audio than the average stiff, more than that, whether you believe me or not.....everywhere I go I discuss audio. So it doesnt really matter what you say to me from behind a computer terminal, Terr my boy. And you are right --- this is about ME AND YOU. Thanks for confirming that. Just wanted to let you know there are some people who find you just as evil and idiotic as I do.

Oh, believe me that I am ready. And you dont know who YOU are dealing with, either, do you? Bring yourself to the party, and I invite whoever else you would want to. Answer me this: in reality, would you know who YOU are dealing with, either? You CLAIM to know me, but you do not. You claim a lot of things but know nothing about them. YOU are the little boy sitting around your house bashing people on an internet site, lets not forget....day after day, week after week....there is geeky little Sir Terrence making fun of people....boooooo hoooooo.....YOURE GONNA MAKE ME CRY TERRENCE!!!

I do know an RCA from a CD player, *******....you have bullied people. Look in the mirror and see the one who is intimidating people on this site, and probably elsewhere. You are like the schoolyard tough guy who talks a lot of **** and tries to scare people. Met a few like you in my time. Fact is, you are a lonely, illegitimate computer geek who likes to play games with people online. And who is WE????? I THOUGHT YOU SAID THIS WAS BETWEEN YOU AND ME? Or was it just me?

I was originally talking about Superbit DVDs.

But all I am saying is that you could be wrong, and possible ARE wrong. What is up with THAT?

It has been calibrated. If you believe that or not, I dont care.

Look, Im gonna say this again. I dont care how many times I have to say it, I will. TO MY EARS THE DOLBY DIGITAL SOUNDTRACKS OF VAMPIRES AND THE PATRIOT SOUNDED GOOD ENOUGH IN ORDER NOT TO REPURCHASE THE DTS VERSIONS --- IN MY OPINION ONLY. I WAS NOT TRYING TO RAM THESE OBSERVATIONS DOWN SOMEONE'S THROAT. PLEASE RE-READ MY POST IN THIS THREAD AND NOTICE THAT I SAID I OBSERVED THAT THE PATRIOT AND VAMPIRES SOUNDED FINE FOR ME AND I DID NOT FEEL THE NEED TO REPURCHASE THEM IN SUPERBIT. THERE WAS NOTHING BEYOND THIS STATEMENT. I WASNT TRYING TO SAY ANYTHING ELSE.

I lied about nothing, Terr by boy. And plenty of people listen. Do not need to justify this to you because Im not a technogeek still living at home with his mommy making irrelevant badgering competitions with people online. When did I give a noob advice? Sure, I may have suggested certain components or such, but I never lead someone in the wrong direction. YOU, on the other hand, bash and flame those noobs for not taking YOUR advice and I have seen it time and time again on here. Good thing people I know or my immediate family arent taking anything YOU say serious or listens to you.

Still shaking my head in amazement that someone like you can actually exist....god damn man....amazing.....

Lexmark3200
05-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Whoops! Sorry about the whole quote-in-a-quote reply last; I was doing it in a huff! Should have separated the replies in separate quotes; still getting used to this dang system!

05-03-2004, 10:10 AM
I lied about nothing, Terr by boy. And plenty of people listen......

If you are not lying, that you should have no problem providing a link to the Hometheaterforum that verifies your claims. Up to this point you have provided nothing, and all you have done is argued and argued which waste time and bandwidth. This is a simple request and requires nothing more than a few clicks. I wait.....

Do not need to justify this to you because Im not a technogeek still living at home with his mommy making irrelevant badgering competitions with people online.......

You are trying to spin this and not deal with the issues of this thread. I see a repetitive pattern here. When you cannot support your comments with facts, you try and change the issue. I am not buying it. Please post a link that supports the claims you have made.

When did I give a noob advice? Sure, I may have suggested certain components or such, but I never lead someone in the wrong direction......

If you don't even know RCA connections from coaxial, then how can you suggest anything that can be trusted. If don't even know how to adjust your DVD player so you can get DD or Dts, then what advice or suggestions can you give? If you don't even have enough common sense to listen to people that tell you to calibrate your system, then how can you be helpful to anyone?

YOU, on the other hand, bash and flame those noobs for not taking YOUR advice and I have seen it time and time again on here. Good thing people I know or my immediate family arent taking anything YOU say serious or listens to you......

If I do all of these things then you should have no trouble posting a link(on the website) that shows that what you are saying is true. This is nothing more than more spin, you know, trying to change the subject. If people you know, or your immediate family are like you, then I don't want to know them.

Still shaking my head in amazement that someone like you can actually exist....god damn man....amazing.....

Isn't it great that I exist. I know it must hard for you that I exist. It makes it very difficult for you to make claims and not substantiate them with proof. That must take the wind out of your sails.

Lexmark3200
05-03-2004, 10:29 AM
If you are not lying, that you should have no problem providing a link to the Hometheaterforum that verifies your claims. Up to this point you have provided nothing, and all you have done is argued and argued which waste time and bandwidth. This is a simple request and requires nothing more than a few clicks. I wait.....

You are trying to spin this and not deal with the issues of this thread. I see a repetitive pattern here. When you cannot support your comments with facts, you try and change the issue. I am not buying it. Please post a link that supports the claims you have made.

If you don't even know RCA connections from coaxial, then how can you suggest anything that can be trusted. If don't even know how to adjust your DVD player so you can get DD or Dts, then what advice or suggestions can you give? If you don't even have enough common sense to listen to people that tell you to calibrate your system, then how can you be helpful to anyone?

If I do all of these things then you should have no trouble posting a link(on the website) that shows that what you are saying is true. This is nothing more than more spin, you know, trying to change the subject. If people you know, or your immediate family are like you, then I don't want to know them.

Isn't it great that I exist. I know it must hard for you that I exist. It makes it very difficult for you to make claims and not substantiate them with proof. That must take the wind out of your sails.

Wow.....what a big weekend you and I must have had, huh Terr my boy? Saw a cousin of mine who came in from Florida and partied a bit in Manhattan with him and his wife....ahhhhh but I digress, because those are the family members that you "dont want to know", right? MAN, now THAT is funny!

Lets begin with your opening statements. I am not going to waste my time finding the links you ask for; you want to find them, go look. I KNOW I read them on hometheaterforum.com; there was a TREMENDOUS ---- and when I say TREMENDOUS, Terrence, I DO MEAN tremendous --- thread begun on the Jurassic Park LFE problem; one person who posted claimed "dont expect the bass even on this corrected version to be nearly as strong as 'modern' soundtracks or even as earth-shaking as you would think compared to the 'D1' version, as it is known...." Do a search and you will find it. I KNOW I read it on there. I know I did.

05-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Wow.....what a big weekend you and I must have had, huh Terr my boy? Saw a cousin of mine who came in from Florida and partied a bit in Manhattan with him and his wife....ahhhhh but I digress, because those are the family members that you "dont want to know", right? MAN, now THAT is funny!

Ah huh, but what does this have to do with audio and soundtracks?

Lets begin with your opening statements. I am not going to waste my time finding the links you ask for; you want to find them, go look..

No that isn't how it works. You made a claim, you support that claim with evidence. If you do not, you lose credibility and cannot be relied on for information. It just that simple. Since your audio education is lacking(and I have proven that with links)proof to support your claims is essential, or you are just lying. If you can waste our time by reading the bull you post, then you can have your time wasted trying to support it.

I KNOW I read them on hometheaterforum.com; there was a TREMENDOUS ---- and when I say TREMENDOUS, Terrence, I DO MEAN tremendous --- thread begun on the Jurassic Park LFE problem; one person who posted claimed "dont expect the bass even on this corrected version to be nearly as strong as 'modern' soundtracks or even as earth-shaking as you would think compared to the 'D1' version, as it is known...." Do a search and you will find it. I KNOW I read it on there. I know I did.

Show me or shut up. If you have no proof to show, then I can only assume its a lie. No proof=lie

Lexmark3200
05-03-2004, 08:40 PM

No that isn't how it works. You made a claim, you support that claim with evidence. If you do not, you lose credibility and cannot be relied on for information. It just that simple. Since your audio education is lacking(and I have proven that with links)proof to support your claims is essential, or you are just lying. If you can waste our time by reading the bull you post, then you can have your time wasted trying to support it.

Show me or shut up. If you have no proof to show, then I can only assume its a lie. No proof=lie

Nope, WILL NEVER EVER shut up when it comes to you in particular Terrence my boy....I will take this fight to the grave if I have to. And this is not a lie; with my dead Grandmother's eyes I swear I read this information on HTF.com.

SWEAR SWAR SWEAR with EVERYTHING IN MY SOUL that I read it.

Lexmark3200
05-03-2004, 08:42 PM

And your continued bashing of my audio knowledge just fuels me more and makes me laugh TREMENDOUSLY hard, Terry.....it really does. Just this weekend I had VERY informative face-to-face discussions with audiophiles who seemed to know what I was talking about in home theater demo shops in lower Manhattan just before I met my cousin and his wife, in particular Saturday night.

wasch_24
05-04-2004, 06:57 AM
I can't find anything on HTF about the new version being spoiled.

DV8mad
05-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Woah! Looks like I walked into the middle of a barfight! LOL :D

I wandered in from the AVS forums and thought I could add a little bit to this thread. I have own the superbit versions of most of the films available, (because I'm a DTS junkie) yes, even Resident Evil. :(

The point is, on my previous television, a 47" widescreen projection, I barely noticed any picture difference. It was there, but you had to be looking for it instead of watching the movie.

About 3 months ago I moved to a LCD Projector and was using my Sony progressive DVD player to output the video. Then I could see a major difference between the two! I was however, still not pleased as DVDs at 100+ inches looked horrible compared to my HD cable stations. So, I went all out and built a home theater PC. Now I scale video to 1280x720. Standard DVDs look great coming out of the machine, not near HD quality still but I could feel comfortable saying twice the quality I felt I was getting from the progressive DVD player. Now, when I pop in a superbit DVD it's a whole new story. I can flip between the Superbit DVD playing and HBO HD and you will see little to no difference. My outlook on Superbit has improved! Finally I'm getting a picture advantage as well as a sound advantage. Can't wait for Spider-Man to come out Superbit soon! ;)

So Superbit is definetely a big benefit but you have to drop a few bucks into your equipment to get anything out of it except a sound improvement.

Lexmark3200
05-04-2004, 01:11 PM
I can't find anything on HTF about the new version being spoiled.

Wasch,

I didn't mean to convey that Home Theater Forum proclaimed that the new version of Jurassic Park was spoiled....perhaps this was misunderstood by everyone. There is a thread on that site, if you do a search you should find it, whereby someone had begun a topic regarding getting his defective JP DVD replaced by Universal; the discussion then shifts into countless pages by folks adding their comments about this wide-known dilemma. One gentleman offered the information that we should "not expect....even on this new updated version of Jurassic Park....the bass to be so forceful as we are lead to believe..." (or some such rhetoric). All I was saying was that I have found, in my system, the T-Rex scene in particular, to not deliver the kind of house-destroying bass that some people reviewing this new DVD proclaim. Now, sure, I dont have a 15" sub, only a 10, and perhaps the system is calibrated differently from the folks finding this DVD to break their house down, but I was simply saying that I agree with the guy on that site who mentioned that we should not expect the bass to rival much more bass-rich soundtracks that ARE out there, even though JP is supposed to be one of the ultimate demo discs.

But, this thread was supposed to be about Superbit DVDs, so I will let you gentlemen get back to that discussion, as you posted on below me.

God Bless.

wasch_24
05-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Wasch,

I didn't mean to convey that Home Theater Forum proclaimed that the new version of Jurassic Park was spoiled....perhaps this was misunderstood by everyone. There is a thread on that site, if you do a search you should find it, whereby someone had begun a topic regarding getting his defective JP DVD replaced by Universal; the discussion then shifts into countless pages by folks adding their comments about this wide-known dilemma. One gentleman offered the information that we should "not expect....even on this new updated version of Jurassic Park....the bass to be so forceful as we are lead to believe..." (or some such rhetoric). All I was saying was that I have found, in my system, the T-Rex scene in particular, to not deliver the kind of house-destroying bass that some people reviewing this new DVD proclaim. Now, sure, I dont have a 15" sub, only a 10, and perhaps the system is calibrated differently from the folks finding this DVD to break their house down, but I was simply saying that I agree with the guy on that site who mentioned that we should not expect the bass to rival much more bass-rich soundtracks that ARE out there, even though JP is supposed to be one of the ultimate demo discs.

But, this thread was supposed to be about Superbit DVDs, so I will let you gentlemen get back to that discussion, as you posted on below me.

God Bless.
Hey, that's cool.
I actually bought a couple Superbit DVD's this weekend; Charlies Angel's and Panic Room.
I haven't watched the whole thing of either but just from skipping around from scene to scene in each I have noticed some very nice PQ. Now I don't own the regular version of each, and to be honest I only bought them because they were discounted to $9.99 at Wal Mart. Therefore I can't compare them directly to their non-superbit cousins but compared to The Matrix-Reloaded, which looks great, these two disks are very very sharp and vibarant on my 65" Mitsubishi Diamond HDTV played through my Yamaha Progressive scan DVD player. I would venture to say that they are the best looking DVD's I have now as far as sharpness and detail go.

Lexmark3200
05-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey, that's cool.
I actually bought a couple Superbit DVD's this weekend; Charlies Angel's and Panic Room.
I haven't watched the whole thing of either but just from skipping around from scene to scene in each I have noticed some very nice PQ. Now I don't own the regular version of each, and to be honest I only bought them because they were discounted to $9.99 at Wal Mart. Therefore I can't compare them directly to their non-superbit cousins but compared to The Matrix-Reloaded, which looks great, these two disks are very very sharp and vibarant on my 65" Mitsubishi Diamond HDTV played through my Yamaha Progressive scan DVD player. I would venture to say that they are the best looking DVD's I have now as far as sharpness and detail go.

Hey My Good Friend,

I hear ya....Panic Room I know they recently did a Special Edition of; I didnt know there was a Superbit version out. The film was okay, but wouldnt warrant going into my prized collection---but thats just me. See, on your 65" screen, you are probably noticing massive differences, or significant differences at least....on my 27" screen, the Superbit differences would be much less, I would assume. However, my judging parameters were based on audio discrepencies between Superbit and non-Superbit titles; from two titles in my collection --- John Carpenter's Vampires and The Patriot --- I discovered Columbia was offering Superbit versions of these films, yet I believed on MY particular system, the Dolby Digital standard versions of these films sounded just fine. They rocked, actually, and that is not something I usually say about Dolby Digital soundtracks. Save, of course, if we're talking about Terminator 3.......

wasch_24
05-05-2004, 04:19 AM
Hey My Good Friend,

I hear ya....Panic Room I know they recently did a Special Edition of; I didnt know there was a Superbit version out. The film was okay, but wouldnt warrant going into my prized collection---but thats just me. See, on your 65" screen, you are probably noticing massive differences, or significant differences at least....on my 27" screen, the Superbit differences would be much less, I would assume. However, my judging parameters were based on audio discrepencies between Superbit and non-Superbit titles; from two titles in my collection --- John Carpenter's Vampires and The Patriot --- I discovered Columbia was offering Superbit versions of these films, yet I believed on MY particular system, the Dolby Digital standard versions of these films sounded just fine. They rocked, actually, and that is not something I usually say about Dolby Digital soundtracks. Save, of course, if we're talking about Terminator 3.......
Pretty much any DVD is going to look good on a direct view CRT TV. I have a 36" Sony upstairs and all my DVD' look good on it. But when you go bigger it can magnify every little fault in the picture. I agree, T3 had a great soundtrack. Some say a little loud and overwhelming, but hey, I like that stuff-the louder the better! :)

05-05-2004, 02:50 PM
And your continued bashing of my audio knowledge just fuels me more and makes me laugh TREMENDOUSLY hard, Terry.....it really does. Just this weekend I had VERY informative face-to-face discussions with audiophiles who seemed to know what I was talking about in home theater demo shops in lower Manhattan just before I met my cousin and his wife, in particular Saturday night.

You continue to make these inverifiable claims. First you say someone to your house(some audio company) and calibrated your system. That must have been rather expensive because I know that I charge a nice hourly sum for calibration. It would have been far cheaper to get a Radio Shack SPL meter and use the tones from you receiver. Is this a clue to the depths of your audio knowledge? You don't know how to calibrate your sub(that's documented by a provided link), you don't know how to set your DVD player to receive DD and Dts(that was also documented by a thread). You do not know what happens to the EX channel when you have a 5.1 system(that's also documented by a thread I have provided) Whatever knowledge you claim to have shouldn't fuel you at all. Nothing for nothing leaves nothing.

Anyone can make these claims you have made. But they are not valid without proof, and you have none. This in my opinion is just another try to save face. An unsuccessful try I might add. If any of these audiophiles knew what YOU were talking about, this must have been a convention of the audiophile challenged.

Nope, WILL NEVER EVER shut up when it comes to you in particular Terrence my boy....I will take this fight to the grave if I have to. And this is not a lie; with my dead Grandmother's eyes I swear I read this information on HTF.com.

SWEAR SWAR SWEAR with EVERYTHING IN MY SOUL that I read it..

Then just keep talking. You have already been VERY effective at demonstrating that you know how to make claims without proof, and your total lack of audio knowledge. Maybe if you keep talking you'll shed more light on this huge bunch of audio knowledge. You can take this fight to the grave if you desire, but rather than die first, I would prefer you live and learn a little somthing somthing. Then you can die whenever you please. There no use going to your grave ignorant is there?

If the information is on HTF, it should be easy to find. Find it and you will not have to swear on things that don't belong to you.

magictooth
05-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Sir TT, I said it above in a post, but I'm getting the feeling that proposing good and reasonable solutions to Lex such as trying an SPL to calibrate is kind of like banging a brick against your head. Sir TT, you've got too much to offer this board, so please stop banging that brick over and over again against your head. I even went so far as to set up a poll for Lex's benefit (see the SPL/Calibration Poll), but I don't think that he's read it.

Lexmark3200
05-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Sir TT, I said it above in a post, but I'm getting the feeling that proposing good and reasonable solutions to Lex such as trying an SPL to calibrate is kind of like banging a brick against your head. Sir TT, you've got too much to offer this board, so please stop banging that brick over and over again against your head. I even went so far as to set up a poll for Lex's benefit (see the SPL/Calibration Poll), but I don't think that he's read it.

Whats the matter, Tooth, cant reply to me directly, need to first find the meanest bully in the schoolyard to run to, as you have been so widely adept at doing? *Wink*

For your information, I HAVE read that poll and know exactly what you were getting at with it. While it is much appreciated, I had the system overhauled recently professionally. That is not to say that I simply cant return to my original settings as I please and when I please. I was way ahead of you on that one, believe you me.

Lexmark3200
05-05-2004, 07:31 PM
You continue to make these inverifiable claims. First you say someone to your house(some audio company) and calibrated your system. That must have been rather expensive because I know that I charge a nice hourly sum for calibration. It would have been far cheaper to get a Radio Shack SPL meter and use the tones from you receiver. Is this a clue to the depths of your audio knowledge? You don't know how to calibrate your sub(that's documented by a provided link), you don't know how to set your DVD player to receive DD and Dts(that was also documented by a thread). You do not know what happens to the EX channel when you have a 5.1 system(that's also documented by a thread I have provided) Whatever knowledge you claim to have shouldn't fuel you at all. Nothing for nothing leaves nothing.

Anyone can make these claims you have made. But they are not valid without proof, and you have none. This in my opinion is just another try to save face. An unsuccessful try I might add. If any of these audiophiles knew what YOU were talking about, this must have been a convention of the audiophile challenged.

Then just keep talking. You have already been VERY effective at demonstrating that you know how to make claims without proof, and your total lack of audio knowledge. Maybe if you keep talking you'll shed more light on this huge bunch of audio knowledge. You can take this fight to the grave if you desire, but rather than die first, I would prefer you live and learn a little somthing somthing. Then you can die whenever you please. There no use going to your grave ignorant is there?

If the information is on HTF, it should be easy to find. Find it and you will not have to swear on things that don't belong to you.

This is REALLY funny.....and I know that I had these conversations with someone in the city this past weekend. Whether you believe this or not, and whatever you say, blah blah blah blah blah.....I am NOT audio inept, and I KNOW that I am not. I am CERTAINLY no expert, as you proclaim to be (that is exceptionally funny and just insulting), but I have learned a few things regarding the topics you bring up.....I did not know, for example, what happened to the EX or ES channel in a 5.1 system, but does that REALLY constitute not knowing ANYTHING about audio? Come on, Terrence, it surely doesn't.....it really doesn't. YOU of all people should know that. But it IS a confusing topic, as I have read on many, many websites loads of folks with the same mysterious guesses as to this whole EX/ES channel in a 5.1 array. Why is this so far-fetched to be wondering about? And why does this necessarily make me someone who knows NOTHING about audio? It is simply not true that I know NOTHING about audio, Terry. That is not true. I have asked many questions, and HAVE learned alot from folks who have taken the time to answer me in here, and I DO appreciate the answers.

*Sigh* Once again, I will repeat: I feel that on MY SYSTEM, the Dolby Digital standard releases of these two titles in particular ---- The Patriot and Vampires --- sounded fine to my ears, so I did not purchase the DTS/Superbit versions. Why am I NOT ALLOWED to say that? I am not influencing anyone, I am simply stating that I believe they sounded quite powerful on my setup.

And if you believe me or not, I HAVE HAD someone come down to my apartment (and I will provide the address if you would like to visit me here and see for yourself the recipts and all, I HAVE THEM TERRENCE) and professionally put their hands on the calibration process of my gear....the shop, again, was American Hi Fi in Lynbrook, New York; they are on Sunrise Highway. I swear this. I am laughing at the prospect that you believe I am saying this to "save face"....much needed comic relief there!

Again, there IS a post on home theater forum dealing with the JP issue, and one gentleman says "not to expect the kind of bass that was promised...." or some such talk, as I have stated.

Lexmark3200
05-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Pretty much any DVD is going to look good on a direct view CRT TV. I have a 36" Sony upstairs and all my DVD' look good on it. But when you go bigger it can magnify every little fault in the picture. I agree, T3 had a great soundtrack. Some say a little loud and overwhelming, but hey, I like that stuff-the louder the better! :)

Wasch,

Hey good buddy.....I hear ya about the screen size....and didn't T3 have an AWESOME 5.1 track? Man, it was wicked....really wicked....I NEVER heard such an aggressive soundstage from a standard Dolby Digital mix....this beat the pants off of some DTS mixes I know of. It certainly WAS loud and overwhelming, but hey, isnt that what we paid all this good money for?

Peace, My Friend