Motion blur [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Motion blur

pajr2179
04-14-2013, 04:58 AM
I have been doing more and more comparisons and some calibration in store and to my eyes I still like the Toshiba LED (see previous post). However, I notice that when comparing LED sets between $800-$1000 and even higher priced sets (up to $2000), the amount of motion blur is annoying (even on the Toshiba 50L1300U). I read some articles that say higher refresh rates are supposed to solve the problem, but it did not seem to matter. Is it more of an issue with the panels? Is it the source feed?

I have read reviews and appreciate the advice of others. I might not have a trained eye, but I really like the Toshiba. I am just not seeing the advantages of much higher refresh rates. Maybe I do not know what to look for? Toshiba makes a 50L7300U for about $1100 that I am also considering as a step up because of wifi capability.

Thanks Again!

Pete

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I have been doing more and more comparisons and some calibration in store and to my eyes I still like the Toshiba LED (see previous post). However, I notice that when comparing LED sets between $800-$1000 and even higher priced sets (up to $2000), the amount of motion blur is annoying (even on the Toshiba 50L1300U). I read some articles that say higher refresh rates are supposed to solve the problem, but it did not seem to matter. Is it more of an issue with the panels? Is it the source feed?

I have read reviews and appreciate the advice of others. I might not have a trained eye, but I really like the Toshiba. I am just not seeing the advantages of much higher refresh rates. Maybe I do not know what to look for? Toshiba makes a 50L7300U for about $1100 that I am also considering as a step up because of wifi capability.

Thanks Again!

Pete

Pete, It is not the refresh rates, it is the pixels twisting and untwisting as they turn themselves on or off. That is the problem, and refreshing the screen faster does not help solve that. This is an inherent problem with LCD technology, and it has existed since day one. Aside from a more natural picture, this is another strength that Plasma's have over LCD sets. While Plasma's leave phosphor trails, they are much harder for the eye to see than the pixel issues on a LCD.

If this really bothers you(it really does me), then you might take a look at Plasma sets. I own Panasonic plasma's, and have gotten rid of all my LCD sets(the kids really appreciated that!). Plasma's do 3D better as well.

pajr2179
04-15-2013, 05:43 AM
Thanks! I can always learn something from you...lol. I guess I have to decide which is the lesser of the two evils, glare or the annoyance of blur.