mullard tubes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : mullard tubes

frenchmon
04-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Hey Raven,

I just stuck some Mullards in my preamp. 2 of the ecc83's. So Im running two of those and a Telefunken NOS 12AU7. The guys kept talking about the Mullards, so after running the Golden lions for about a year, I wanted to give them a shot. They are a tad better than the GL in the mids and not as airy in the top..... bass seems to go a little deeper but sounds a little muddy now. I hear lots of detail, perhaps a little more that the GL in the mids. Horns and percussion really is a positive. They are not as transparent as the GL And female voices are right there sounding good. The mids do seem like the strong point and in a way I hope they settle down just a tad in the mids and the bass....they are a little warmer sounding than the GL. They also seem to be less gain than the GL..They are brand new and only have about 30 minutes on them so it will be at least 30 more hours before they are fully run in. So I guess my question too you, seeing you got lost of reps with multiple tubes, what tube is perhaps like the Mullards only better? I do think my next tube will be some Radiotech tubes. but I wanted to ask you about some like the Mullards.

Thanks.

blackraven
04-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Frenchmon, my tube experience is limited to ECC88/6DJ8's, C6G7, 6FQ7's, 6NIP's, 6922's, 2C51's, 396A's and 6AK5 tubes.

I have found that the Holland made Amperex ECC88/6DJ8's (non-Aframes)from the 1950's to early 1960's to be the most musical with good detail, great bass and transparency with a very wide sound stage. True made in Germany Telefunkens from the 1960's are also extremely musical and detailed. (you can tell that they are real Telefunkens by the diamond symbol embossed into the glass on the bottom of the tubes in the center of pins.

I tend to find that with the 6DJ8's and 6CG7's the tubes from the 1950's and early 60's tend to have the best sound-warm, transparent, musical and detailed, however some have a little less detail than newer tubes but they are more pleasant sounding. There is no perfect tube. I don't know how this translates to the ECC83's.

As far as Mullards are concerned, I only have experience with a pair or 6AK5's that I bought from a guy in England.

Here is a link to tubeworld where you can get a description of the sound of some of the ECC83/12AX7's

https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm

From what I have read, 1950's RCA, 1960's Philips Miniwatts and the 1950s-1960's Amperex (all Holland made) are excellent tubes.

Give you Mullards time to break in. The sound will change. Play around with the mixing different 12aux's and the ECC83's. It can can get pricey but it is worth it in the end when you find the right combo.

See my PM!!

frenchmon
04-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Frenchmon, my tube experience is limited to ECC88/6DJ8's, C6G7, 6FQ7's, 6NIP's, 6922's, 2C51's, 396A's and 6AK5 tubes.

I have found that the Holland made Amperex ECC88/6DJ8's (non-Aframes)from the 1950's to early 1960's to be the most musical with good detail, great bass and transparency with a very wide sound stage. True made in Germany Telefunkens from the 1960's are also extremely musical and detailed. (you can tell that they are real Telefunkens by the diamond symbol embossed into the glass on the bottom of the tubes in the center of pins.

I tend to find that with the 6DJ8's and 6CG7's the tubes from the 1950's and early 60's tend to have the best sound-warm, transparent, musical and detailed, however some have a little less detail than newer tubes but they are more pleasant sounding. There is no perfect tube. I don't know how this translates to the ECC83's.

As far as Mullards are concerned, I only have experience with a pair or 6AK5's that I bought from a guy in England.

Here is a link to tubeworld where you can get a description of the sound of some of the ECC83/12AX7's

https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm

From what I have read, 1950's RCA, 1960's Philips Miniwatts and the 1950s-1960's Amperex (all Holland made) are excellent tubes.

Give you Mullards time to break in. The sound will change. Play around with the mixing different 12aux's and the ECC83's. It can can get pricey but it is worth it in the end when you find the right combo.

See my PM!!

Thanks Larry...I responded to your PM's.

The Telefunken does have the diamond under the tube and I like it a lot. I listened to some vinyl this morning...a 180G copy of Melody Gardot, "My One And Only Thrill" album and man, the Mullards do it right.! I think the Gold Lion tubes will stay in their boxes for a while and I have only about 45 minutes on the Mullards!

(LeRoy turned me on too Melody Gardot) I believe between the detail of the 2M Black....the outstanding performance of the canton Vento 802.2's in the mids, and the rich tones of the Mullards, and the nice rich warmth of the analysis Plus I have a real winner. The sound is so full of Romance and Emotion right now...its unbelievable! Oh, I've added a new phono amp...the Creek OBH 15 MK2 which is a very neutral sounding phono amp. I will keep you posted on the Mullards as they run in.

LeRoy
04-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Frenchmon, wonder what the sound like after 60 min!??

Good to know you are rolling tubes. One site I refer to is
Brent Jessee Recording Tube Bid List (http://www.audiotubes.com/bidlist.htm)

The La Radiotechnique tubes, AU7's, that I once placed on the Rogue were
excellent. Balanced from top to bottom with extension and sparkle on the top
with no tizz/fizz, rich textured mids, and deep low end that was able to keep time
with all the rest of the upper frequencies. You may want to check out the L.R.T. brand for the type of tube you're looking for.

So, you're turning your domain into a record store are you?

frenchmon
04-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Hey LeRoy..im in love with Melody Gardot! You got any more of your girl friends you want to turn me on to? lol!

I am just now listening...have about another 45 minutes on them now so no really big change as of yet. Yes I will be getting the Radiotechs before they are all gobbled up. I read nothing but positive reviews about them. No record store...just a record collector. Any time some one calls them "RECORDS" I know they're old school! LoL!

frenchmon
04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Ok..about 7 hours on the Mullards. Bass has settled down and is really nice and tight! Top end is really much smoother and little less livelier than the Gold Lion. I like the top end on the Mullards better. Of course the Mullards are better in the mids. More to come later.

LeRoy
04-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Hey LeRoy..im in love with Melody Gardot! You got any more of your girl friends you want to turn me on to? lol!

Any time some one calls them "RECORDS" I know they're old school! LoL!

LOL, that's too funny. Are they still packing wall posters in records nowadays?
Female vocals to check out are Ayo, and Alana Davis. Oh, you can probably find some LP's of Joni Mitchell still out there.... :)

frenchmon
04-14-2013, 05:25 PM
LOL, that's too funny. Are they still packing wall posters in records nowadays?
Female vocals to check out are Ayo, and Alana Davis. Oh, you can probably find some LP's of Joni Mitchell still out there.... :)

Naw they're not doing that sorta of things these days.
Thanks for the tip on the female singers I knew you had a few more for me.

The Mullars are about broken in now. I can't imagine them sounding any better. I am now listening to Bill Evans trio "Portrait In Jazz" record and the Mullards are doing it right! The sound has great texture and balance. Each instrument is set in its own space and is very easy to follow. Holographic these tubes are. They are dynamic and romantic at the same time. I am really enjoying them.

blackraven
04-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Glad to hear that they are working for you. I always give my tubes 20-30hrs of break in before passing judgement. Although, with some tubes you can tell right away if they are going to be winners or losers.

Hyfi
04-15-2013, 04:21 AM
Frenchmon, wonder what the sound like after 60 min!??

Good to know you are rolling tubes. One site I refer to is
Brent Jessee Recording Tube Bid List (http://www.audiotubes.com/bidlist.htm)

The La Radiotechnique tubes, AU7's, that I once placed on the Rogue were
excellent. Balanced from top to bottom with extension and sparkle on the top
with no tizz/fizz, rich textured mids, and deep low end that was able to keep time
with all the rest of the upper frequencies. You may want to check out the L.R.T. brand for the type of tube you're looking for.

So, you're turning your domain into a record store are you?

I recently got some tubes from Brent Jesse. I got the 6FQ7's in NOS RCA Clear Tops to go in my Counterpoint Amp. Very nice tubes with good base and midrange and made my Dynaudios come alive like never before.

For my Pre, which uses 2 12au7s and 2 12ax7s, I went back to Kevin Hayes and ordered what he puts in his new VACs. I purchased NOS Jan Phillips au7s and NOS Chinese no name ax7s. Both sets were big improvements over Sovtek, JJs and EHs.