Mid-size speaker recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mid-size speaker recommendation

valnar
04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I haven't bought speakers in over 10 years as I currently love my bookshelf/sub combo for my home theater system. I now want to build a music-only stereo system and am looking for used everything.

I'm looking for a pair of speakers that I don't believe are too popular anymore these days. They are mid-sized - bigger than bookshelf but not quite floorstanders. They would usually sit on short wood stands.

In the past I've seen them in Boston Acoustics and Paradigm, but almost anything will do as long as they are of high-quality and feature soft-dome tweeters. I'd prefer sealed or passive radiator options over ported. A speaker of that size should get into the 50-60Hz range, which is fine for me. 'tis better than a boombox.

What are some of the good speakers of the last 20 years I should be looking for on the auction sites? I'm willing to spend up to $800 for the pair, so that should open up most classic combos of reasonable quality.

Mr Peabody
04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
With your budget and wanting best bang for the buck I would look for a set of Dynaudio, Audience 60 or 62 are a slim, low profile, 2-way floorstander, you would even be very pleased with the 52 which is a bookshelf. Dynaudio does great bass. Important would be what you plan to drive these speakers with. Revel just came out with the Performa 3 series and you could probably pick up a Performa 2 series at a deal, I actually prefer the 2 series.

For $800.00 you should consider used speakers by brands like Wharfedale or Golden Ear. There are a lot of options out there.

valnar
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
With your budget and wanting best bang for the buck I would look for a set of Dynaudio, Audience 60 or 62 are a slim, low profile, 2-way floorstander, you would even be very pleased with the 52 which is a bookshelf. Dynaudio does great bass. Important would be what you plan to drive these speakers with. Revel just came out with the Performa 3 series and you could probably pick up a Performa 2 series at a deal, I actually prefer the 2 series.

For $800.00 you should consider used speakers by brands like Wharfedale or Golden Ear. There are a lot of options out there.

I've heard a lot about Dynaudio over the years. I do indeed prefer a 2-way, which is why an extended bookshelf is deal. I suppose there are indeed 2-way floorstanders, but I just don't want anything that big for this particular room.

The (old) receiver of choice is a Nakamichi, probably an AV-8 or AV-10 as they come available on eBay since I used to have one and I know their amp section is excellent. They probably only handle 8-ohm speakers though.

Mr Peabody
04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
You should check out a Audience 62 it would take less room than a speaker like you are talking about on a stand.

blackraven
04-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Take a look at NHT Classic 2's and 3's, Wharfedales, Quad 12L, Dynaudio, PSB's, older KEF's

Speakers at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/c-608-speakers.aspx?sortfield=Popularity&sortdirection=DESC&perpage=24&BrandFilterID=485&)

The PSB's are ported but come with foam plugs that allow you to tune the bass. Saturd

I think the Quad 12L's would fit the bill if you can find a used pair.

L Classic Series Quad (http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Product.aspx?lang=En&Tab=31)

frenchmon
04-11-2013, 03:55 AM
I haven't bought speakers in over 10 years as I currently love my bookshelf/sub combo for my home theater system. I now want to build a music-only stereo system and am looking for used everything.

I'm looking for a pair of speakers that I don't believe are too popular anymore these days. They are mid-sized - bigger than bookshelf but not quite floorstanders. They would usually sit on short wood stands.

In the past I've seen them in Boston Acoustics and Paradigm, but almost anything will do as long as they are of high-quality and feature soft-dome tweeters. I'd prefer sealed or passive radiator options over ported. A speaker of that size should get into the 50-60Hz range, which is fine for me. 'tis better than a boombox.

What are some of the good speakers of the last 20 years I should be looking for on the auction sites? I'm willing to spend up to $800 for the pair, so that should open up most classic combos of reasonable quality.

If you move fast, there is a pair of Paradigm studio 40's on audiogon that would be right up your ally.

Paradigm Studio 40 v3 | Monitors | Willoughby, Ohio 44094 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-paradigm-studio-40-v3-2013-04-09-speakers-44094)

valnar
04-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Hmm. Those are the right size for sure. I remember when they came out.

Aren't Paradigm's quite forward though? Do they have metal tweeters?

frenchmon
04-11-2013, 05:26 AM
This is what they said about the tweeters:

G-PAL™ Gold-Anodized Pure-Aluminum Domes. Exceptionally rigid low-mass domes with treated textile suspensions ensure remarkably uniform and instantaneous power response. The elevated position of the dome provides better ‘air’ and frequency response that is smooth, pure and clear.

those tweeters are very good. I've never had a problem with Paradigm studio tweeters. The monitor series is a different story.

As far as being forward, thats more of a cabling issue in my opinion.

blackraven
04-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Give a listen to Wharfedales, they have that softer tweeter sound that you are looking for and the overall sound is more laid back than forward. Same goes for PSB speakers.
Saturday Audio (http://www.saturdayaudio.com) has B-stock on PSB's at great prices.

valnar
04-12-2013, 05:07 AM
After googling enough, I found the speakers I had 20 years ago that I loved! They were the Boston Acoustics A120's. I'm not sure if I should find them again because time was probably not kind to the foam surrounds, but I remember liking that "sound".

harley .guy07
04-12-2013, 07:26 AM
I also would say the Dynaudio are well worth the consideration. I own the Audience 60's and while I started using them when I did not have as good of equipment as I have now the higher end preamp and amp that I have put with them since have not brought up any shortcomings or made me feel like I immediately need to upgrade. Dynaudio's are like that. each series up is an upgrade but the steps are much smaller than say Paradigm which their monitor series is a huge step down from their studio series. With Dynaudio each series take much smaller steps in sound upgrade due to the fact that Dynaudio speakers start at a very high level of sound quality with their least expensive speaker and then just go up from there and that is why the retail price of even their "affordable" speakers are still much higher than Paradigm or PSB. I really love my audience 60's and I will most likely upgrade to a bigger pair of Dynaudios within the next year it is mostly because I want more low end and I would like to go to the next level with my system but in saying that I have heard a lot of systems out there that can't hold a candle to mine as it sets right now with the preamp and amp I have"see signature" and the audience 60's, they really are very good for the price especially used.

Mr Peabody
04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I remember liking the A120's and that series back in the 80's, it would be interesting to see if I still like them or how they compare today. I will say the product Boston has today I did not like as much as the Paradigm, and neither come close to Dynaudio IMO.

I would recommend going and listening to different brands and if your selection is limited many online retailers offer a 30 day return. If you aren't sure what you like or want buying used could put you on quite a merry-go-round of buying and selling.

frenchmon
04-12-2013, 04:15 PM
The Dynaudio Xcite X12 are great speakers as well, but dont know if they are the correct height you want.

harley .guy07
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
The Dynaudio Xcite X12 are great speakers as well, but dont know if they are the correct height you want.

That might not be a bad idea to try the excite series, they are one of the more affordable series that Dyn offer and I have heard that they are a little easier to drive than the other series of Dyns out there in fact someone told me that they have talked to people that have run them with lower powered tube amps and they did well so a solid state receiver should have no problem powering them.

Mr Peabody
04-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Excite sort of took the place of the Audience line, they now do have a DM series which is the entry and the drivers have been redesigned to be driven by good quality receivers.

Jack in Wilmington
04-14-2013, 05:29 AM
Excite sort of took the place of the Audience line, they now do have a DM series which is the entry and the drivers have been redesigned to be driven by good quality receivers.

Hey Mr. P, do you ever wonder what your Contour T2.5's would have sounded like with your Pass Labs gear?

Mr Peabody
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Honestly, I haven't thought about it but it would be interesting. What I do think about occasionally is what my Krell would have sounded like with the F52's. I'm still a Dynaudio fan but I really love the F52's, the bass response is like having a sub, not boomy, just very low and deep. I'd go back to Dynaudio before buying the newer Performa 3 series though. Some people really like the 3 series but I'm wondering if it's like one of those showroom things where the sound is striking at first, but Revel writes they did their research on the 3 series so maybe I'm unusual. I have no doubt I like Pass better than Krell for my music listening but I would sure like to hear the Krell take control of the F52's to hear the outcome. With an all Krell system I have yet to hear anything match it's transient response, a kettle drum will jar your teeth, and that was with using Dynaudio.

Hey Mr. P, do you ever wonder what your Contour T2.5's would have sounded like with your Pass Labs gear?

Jack in Wilmington
04-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Honestly, I haven't thought about it but it would be interesting. What I do think about occasionally is what my Krell would have sounded like with the F52's. I'm still a Dynaudio fan but I really love the F52's, the bass response is like having a sub, not boomy, just very low and deep. I'd go back to Dynaudio before buying the newer Performa 3 series though. Some people really like the 3 series but I'm wondering if it's like one of those showroom things where the sound is striking at first, but Revel writes they did their research on the 3 series so maybe I'm unusual. I have no doubt I like Pass better than Krell for my music listening but I would sure like to hear the Krell take control of the F52's to hear the outcome. With an all Krell system I have yet to hear anything match it's transient response, a kettle drum will jar your teeth, and that was with using Dynaudio.

That's an interesting statement, that you know the Pass is better than the Krell for your music listening, which I agree with, and you would still like to hear the Krell with the F52's. That says alot about the Krell. I've been hearing so much about class A and AB on this site and others that I've decided it's time to move on from class D. I'm looking at a Bryston 14BSST for a home demo and then maybe a Plinius SA103.

Mr Peabody
04-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I didn't realize the 225 was digital. I've been told newer Bryston are better but the 3bst I had was not very musical. It would have the drive for the Dyn's though. I've never heard Plinius. Pass makes a couple integrated, one 150x2 into 8 ohms and the other 30 watts Class A into 8 ohms. Reno Hi Fi offers a 14 day return and often has some demo gear at a discount.

As far as Krell, or Dynaudio, goes, there's a lot of stuff I like but I'm not rich enough to have it all. :)

That's an interesting statement, that you know the Pass is better than the Krell for your music listening, which I agree with, and you would still like to hear the Krell with the F52's. That says alot about the Krell. I've been hearing so much about class A and AB on this site and others that I've decided it's time to move on from class D. I'm looking at a Bryston 14BSST for a home demo and then maybe a Plinius SA103.

Jack in Wilmington
04-14-2013, 05:17 PM
I didn't realize the 225 was digital. I've been told newer Bryston are better but the 3bst I had was not very musical. It would have the drive for the Dyn's though. I've never heard Plinius. Pass makes a couple integrated, one 150x2 into 8 ohms and the other 30 watts Class A into 8 ohms. Reno Hi Fi offers a 14 day return and often has some demo gear at a discount.

As far as Krell, or Dynaudio, goes, there's a lot of stuff I like but I'm not rich enough to have it all. :)

Now that I'm retired, I'm not rich enough either. I used to throw $100 a week into my stereo fund, now it's $10 here, $20 there. Some of the guys over at Audio Aficionado now they have money. It can get dangerous over there, trying to keep up with the Jones, so to speak.

frenchmon
04-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Jack...is the Anthem Digital?

I know some one who has a Plinius amp...they are warm....dont know if they use MOSFETS, but they are warm and nice....

Jack in Wilmington
04-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Jack...is the Anthem Digital?

I know some one who has a Plinius amp...they are warm....dont know if they use MOSFETS, but they are warm and nice....

Hey Frenchie, what do you mean "is the Anthem digital"? It has preouts, so I thought that meant that I could hook up an external amp. Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

frenchmon
04-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Hey Frenchie, what do you mean "is the Anthem digital"? It has preouts, so I thought that meant that I could hook up an external amp. Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

A SS amp has a analog signal from start to finish...a digital amp converts the signal to digital and back again. I thought Anthems where all analog...am I wrong?

Edit: From looking at your 225 at the Anthem site, its not digital.

Hyfi
04-19-2013, 06:22 AM
It can get dangerous over there, trying to keep up with the Jones, so to speak.

It's better than reading Stereophile any day! I get a little drool on me every day but I know I will NEVER be in that league. But that is by choice because I need a retirement fund.

Harley - As for the Dyns, were the original 60s easier to drive than the 2nd gen 62s? I know that both my 42s and 82s have multiple personalities between midfi gear and my main setup. The Excite series is a slight step up in refinement over the Audience series and easier to drive while having a slightly smaller footprint.

I heard the X32 driven by a $500 NAD Integrated and it's matching CDP ans was completely satisfied with the sound. Better electronics will just increase the performance. The 16s would replace the 52s and the 12s replace the 42s, 32 is closer to the Audiance 72 and the 36 replaces my 82s. They are all still 4ohms and only 86-87db so watch what you attempt to drive them with.

I am driving my 42s right now in a small setup of my old Hafler 945 Pre, Odyssey Strattos and using an OPPO93 for CDs and solid core Tara Prism cables and it is hard to believe what a tiny speaker can do.

dingus
04-19-2013, 06:38 AM
After googling enough, I found the speakers I had 20 years ago that I loved! They were the Boston Acoustics A120's. I'm not sure if I should find them again because time was probably not kind to the foam surrounds, but I remember liking that "sound".

depending on your location, craigslist could be the place to find BA A120's and other vintage speakers of that ilk. i see them come up fairly often in my area.

as for deteriorated surrounds, they are an easy fix that can be done cheaply in an afternoon.

Hyfi
04-19-2013, 07:07 AM
depending on your location, craigslist could be the place to find BA A120's and other vintage speakers of that ilk. i see them come up fairly often in my area.

as for deteriorated surrounds, they are an easy fix that can be done cheaply in an afternoon.

Good suggestion for local CL if OP really wants vintage.

As for redoing surrounds, yeah anyone can do it but after speaking to the owner of Miller Sound, who does this all day every day, you will more than likely never get the speaker to sound exactly as you remembered it.

If the exact replacement surround is not used, and or a slightly different tension or non perfect placement and glueing happens, then you will change the sound of the speaker from it's originally intended sound.

There are so many great sounding new speakers in every price range that come with a warranty and intact unless getting some outrageously good speaker for real cheap, why bother? There are also plenty of Used (but much newer) good speakers out there too. The other option is the DIY but I am unskilled in woodworking and lack the tools and space.

valnar
04-19-2013, 09:53 AM
I remember liking my original BA 120's (before I sold them for a home-theater setup) because they were a decent size without being intrusive in the room. Since they were sealed, I could also put them right against the wall. For my secondary music system that I'm building for a finished basement, both those factors are important. It's also not going to be used for 'critical' listening, so something generally pleasant is preferred. This will be a pool-table + Bar kind of room.

Part of me also wants to rebuild my vintage music setup that I had long ago. In that vein, I also just purchased a Nakamichi AV-10 receiver off eBay. A fine receiver and amplifier section in it's own right, and it still holds up today. The downside is I have to stick with 8-ohm speaker options which removes a lot of good choices. I used to own an AV-8 many years ago because I couldn't afford the AV-10. All I need to do now is dust off my old Denon tape deck and Dual turntable which I still own.

harley .guy07
04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
It's better than reading Stereophile any day! I get a little drool on me every day but I know I will NEVER be in that league. But that is by choice because I need a retirement fund.

Harley - As for the Dyns, were the original 60s easier to drive than the 2nd gen 62s? I know that both my 42s and 82s have multiple personalities between midfi gear and my main setup. The Excite series is a slight step up in refinement over the Audience series and easier to drive while having a slightly smaller footprint.

At looking at the specs alone I would not think that the 62 would be harder to easier to drive than the 60 but I do know that for as small as my 60's are they really like the current to get the most out of them. Don't get me wrong my Pass amp has no problems and powers them without even getting much of a workout but I would not even think about putting them with a mid fi receiver, They might sound ok but I would know how much more that they are capable of. It seems that Dyn's are that way, no matter which series that they come from it seems that they get better the better electronics you put in front of them and they don't seem to be outclassed when you put real high end gear in front of them. I have not heard the excite series to see how they are different though so I can't say much about them but the Contour series sound much the same as the audience series with more refinement and detail.

Mr Peabody
04-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Jack your statement "to hear the Krell with the F52's. That says alot about the Krell. I've been hearing so much about class A and AB on this site and others that I've decided it's time to move on from class D. I'm looking at a Bryston 14BSST for a home demo and then maybe a Plinius SA103. " is where the class D/digital inference came from, was it a typo or did we misunderstand what you were talking about?

Jack in Wilmington
04-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Jack your statement "to hear the Krell with the F52's. That says alot about the Krell. I've been hearing so much about class A and AB on this site and others that I've decided it's time to move on from class D. I'm looking at a Bryston 14BSST for a home demo and then maybe a Plinius SA103. " is where the class D/digital inference came from, was it a typo or did we misunderstand what you were talking about?

Does class D mean digital? I thought it was just another letter A, AB etc. If so, it's back to the rookie league for me.

harley .guy07
04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Class d is another type of amplifier type that is analog actually. the basic difference is that the outputs are switching as well unlike class a and a/b and they have to use very high frequency switching to make the audio with less distortion and filter out the frequencies with which it switches. that would be the best way to explain it that I can come up with. If someone has a better one then thats cool I just know that class d does not automatically mean digital.

Mr Peabody
04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Jack, this is for you, look under power amp class;
Amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Classification_of_amplifier_s tages_and_systems)

Valnar, nothing says vintage like Bose 901's. You can even suspend them from the ceiling and for a rec area sound disperses well. Also, Klipsch Heresy are sealed and would play loud with very little power, they tend to roll off pretty steep around 50Hz but they rock. The latest model is the Heresy III. The look is vintage with a statement. You can also place speakers ported in the front close to the wall.

ken88
04-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Try to listen to Totem Sttaf floor standing speakers. They are slim and they sound really good. I am very happy with them.

Mr Peabody
04-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Although I agree the Totem do sound really good, it will take more than a receiver to take them to their potential.