JBL Lancer99 Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JBL Lancer99 Speakers

pmlevine
04-07-2013, 04:08 PM
My parents bought a set of JBL Lancer99 speakers in 1971, about 30"x15", these have seen little use and are in excellent condition. Solid wood, and wood grille.
My sister now has these, and is looking to replace these with smaller speakers.
Looking to sell/trade these speakers, but have no idea of worth or desirability of these JBL speakers, appreciate any input.
thanks, Phil

JohnMichael
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Welcome and as always pictures showing condition of the speakers will help.

filecat13
04-19-2013, 12:17 AM
The location of the speakers and the condition of the surrounds on the drivers will also be factors. Are the surrounds dry and cracked? Are they thick and stiff? Are they supple and uniform in color?

Collectors in the know will pay according to how good or bad the surrounds are on those particular models. The pale, pinkish-yellow Lansaloy surrounds have some pretty specific issues that make the Lancer models a potential challenge if the surrounds have either stiffened up or dried out and cracked.

markw
04-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Collectors in the know will pay according to how good or bad the surrounds are on those particular models. The pale, pinkish-yellow Lansaloy surrounds have some pretty specific issues that make the Lancer models a potential challenge if the surrounds have either stiffened up or dried out and cracked.I believe these are a "bookshelf version of te Lancer 55's, which are two way sysems with a white 14" woofer and a 3" tweeter. I have some 55's where lansaloy the woofer surrounds are pretty well shot from age and dryness and getting them replaced with the original material is difficult, to say the least.

Now, you COULD perhaps get them "refoamed" but this will change the sound and kill any intrisic collector value.

pmlevine
07-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Welcome and as always pictures showing condition of the speakers will help.

Hi John,
I'm posting some photos of JBL Lancer 99 speakers. I inspected the foam around the large woofer speakers, everything looks intact, no signs of cracking.
Looking to sell these at a stereo store specializing in new and used stereo components, but have no idea what these are worth if I sell, or if I trade them in toward other equipment.
So would appreciate any info, thanks,
Phil