Best Affordable Pro Speakers for 12000 sq ft room? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Affordable Pro Speakers for 12000 sq ft room?

mdecker
04-04-2013, 01:50 AM
Trying to improve sound in a 12,000 sq ft room. Company we are working with is recommending JBL loudspeakers (AM 7212)/sub woofer (ASB 6118). I am not seeing JBL recommended anywhere. Am I being paranoid?

harley .guy07
04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
as a person that is an audiophile but also as a musician that has run sound for bands over the years and also have set up club sound systems in the past I do have some knowledge on this subject. The JBL's are good pro sound speakers and they will serve you well as long as you set the rest of the system up to power them well and have a good clean front end. Another couple of brands that I have worked with over the years that are good and have models at about every budget and power handling are Yamaha and EV, while they have affordable models they also have models that have tremendous power handling and some of the best drivers for their said price range. There are higher end pro sound brands out there but I really don't know what your budget is and these brands are way more expensive than the JBl or the other brands mentioned. The main thing is to find someone that has knowledge on the setup of these speakers so that you make sure that you get the right amount of power for them as well as making sure they are crossed over right if you are going to be running separate subwoofers with the main speakers which I would recommend for that size of area if you want a full range sound without the bottom end being to small sounding.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Trying to improve sound in a 12,000 sq ft room. Company we are working with is recommending JBL loudspeakers (AM 7212)/sub woofer (ASB 6118). I am not seeing JBL recommended anywhere. Am I being paranoid?

Just a little bit. JBL pro speakers are found in most all performance spaces all around the world, so its not the brand that I am concerned about. Its the sound quality I am worried about. JBL speakers in this category sound horrible to me. They play loud, but with no quality. If I was looking for speakers for a 12,000 SQFT room, I would find myself talking to Danley Sound Labs. Their PA speakers sound the most natural(extremely low distortion), uncolored, and have a broader more even coverage than JBL speakers is this category. Their speakers have a longer "throw" into the room, and that means less speakers for the same room coverage.

Danley Loudspeakers | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc. (http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/)

E-Stat
04-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I would find myself talking to Danley Sound Labs. Their PA speakers sound the most natural(extremely low distortion), uncolored, and have a broader more even coverage than JBL speakers is this category.
Amen! You can hear them at Turner Field in Atlanta.

And while they are multi-way designs, they exhibit uniform frequency-independent directivity like full range designs for better coherency.

Here's some SH-50s. (http://www.mediah.com/images/danley/thx/10.jpg)

harley .guy07
04-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Danley was among the "higher end" speakers that I was mentioning when I said that there were other higher end brands out there to be had but I did not know how much the op budgeted for speakers to fill this room and what kind of sound he was wanting to get. If this is a venue for live music there are plenty of options and a lot of them better than the JBL one. But you also have to have the budget to afford the speakers and the electronics to run them properly.

mdecker
04-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Thanks all! Very helpful...