Roger Ebert: Taking "Leave of Presence" because cancer's back [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Roger Ebert: Taking "Leave of Presence" because cancer's back

Woochifer
04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
As some of you might know, Roger Ebert's battle with cancer a few years ago robbed him of the ability to speak and eat. Yet, in his silence, he found his voice by writing more prolifically than at any other time in his life. Last year, he posted more than 300 movie reviews -- the most ever in his long career. And on his blog, he has branched out into many other subjects, some of which have nothing to do with film.

Now, he has indicated that his cancer has come back, and needs to cut back on his writing. He indicated that he's not going anywhere, but he will need to scale back his output. One positive in his view is that he will now get to pick and choose which films he reviews. I guess he's at a point in his career where he's entitled to that privilege.

For a whole generation of moviegoers, Roger Ebert has been an enthusiastic voice for the everyman movie fan, and never shies away from enjoying a cheesy strip of cinematic schlock every now and then. All the best to him ...

At this point in my life, in addition to writing about movies, I may write about what it's like to cope with health challenges and the limitations they can force upon you. It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness.

A Leave of Presence - Roger Ebert's Journal (http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013/04/a_leave_of_presense.html)

bobsticks
04-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Another self-centered, whiny Boomer monologue...

noddin0ff
04-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Another self-centered, whiny Boomer monologue...

Wow. That's harsh.

dean_martin
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
RIP

Movie critic Roger Ebert dies - MSN Movies News (http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=800356&gt1=28101)

I grew up with the Siskell and Ebert show without which there would not have been a Men on Films bit on In Living Color.

Smokey
04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Wow, that was so sudden :(

He said on his blog about the subject of his own death:

"I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state."

See you at the movies and RIP.