Toshiba vs. Panasonic- LED [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba vs. Panasonic- LED

pajr2179
04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally, I wanted a plasma. However, because of my room it is not feasible. I currently have room darkening blinds and curtains. Glare is still a huge factor. My room has a huge bay window on the back wall. So, I am opting for LED. I am looking for a third opinion between Panasonic and Toshiba at the $800-$1000 dollar price point. I would like to stay between 47-50 inches. I have compared both sets side by side. The Toshiba (50l1350u) seems to have much deeper blacks than the Panasonic and a better picture to my eye. However, the panasonic has wifi and the outside frame looks much nicer. Any opinions? I never considered Toshiba to be a contender in the TV world, but in my eyes it seems to be the choice (including other manufacturers. Am I going nuts?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally, I wanted a plasma. However, because of my room it is not feasible. I currently have room darkening blinds and curtains. Glare is still a huge factor. My room has a huge bay window on the back wall. So, I am opting for LED. I am looking for a third opinion between Panasonic and Toshiba at the $800-$1000 dollar price point. I would like to stay between 47-50 inches. I have compared both sets side by side. The Toshiba (50l1350u) seems to have much deeper blacks than the Panasonic and a better picture to my eye. However, the panasonic has wifi and the outside frame looks much nicer. Any opinions? I never considered Toshiba to be a contender in the TV world, but in my eyes it seems to be the choice (including other manufacturers. Am I going nuts?

I would always go with a panasonic over a toshiba. I would venture that neither television was calibrated, and when they are they will look quite different. Panasonic television whether plasma or LCD are easier to nudge into compliance with REC 709 which is the HDTV standard. Toshiba's, not so easy. You really need to get into the internal menus to accomplish this on this set. For perfect calibration you need to do this with both. However, the Panasonic will get you a lot closer without going into the menu.

My vote in on the Panasonic.

pajr2179
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks Terrence. I did some quick calibration in store and I was shocked. I always viewed Panasonic to be a better set. I am gonna do some more comparison. I love when there are no salespeople for assistance. You have time to really compare both sets. One more question..I plan on using my 999es with my new set because I still love it. Will either TV scale the resolution up to 1080P or will it output 480p? This is gonna be a birthday present. Thanks again!

Pete

Smokey
04-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Will either TV scale the resolution up to 1080P or will it output 480p?

Whatever the TV's input resolution is, the TV will upscale it to its native resolution (1080p).

May be you already seen this:

http://forums.audioreview.com/news-rumors/consumerreports-lcd-ratings-38953.html

pajr2179
04-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks!