Opinions on opinions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on opinions

JohnMichael
03-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Opinions and a$$holes, everyone has one but most are full of $hit. A lovely way to start a thread. Seriously though let us discuss the value or lack of value of opinions.

As an audio site when you ask members advice on a product would you like information from someone who has heard it?

If you ask about a speaker in a certain price range do you appreciate all the suggestions? Are you frustrated by suggestions above your budget?

If someone is asking about an integrated amp or power amp should we present our biases? I prefer solid state so I suggest or I prefer tubes and I suggest, so a new poster will understand the basis of some suggestions.

If someone asks about panel speakers but as a dynamic driver in a box fan that I am is there any value to my opinion?

If someone hears differences in cables is there any advantage in telling them they do not? Or posting a link to a report that they do not when they clearly do?

I think experience is a good teacher. Assumption is not a good teacher. Or ten years ago when I heard their products I was not impressed.

So my question is would this be a better site if we talked about what we know and have experienced instead of what we might think could sound good or bad? As an example I never post in Home Theater since I have never had one and I am not interested.

LeRoy
03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Hi JM,

I think anyone who researches all things audio on any site will benefit from:
1) knowing what the respondent's biases are

2) listeners who have heard and spent enough time with a product or products
to provide a fair report/evaluation of the products under consideration

3) respondents who in good faith may suggest reasonable alternatives (gained from experience) even though the product may exceed the stated budget of the original poster.

Feanor
03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
So my question is would this be a better site if we talked about what we know and have experienced instead of what we might think could sound good or bad? As an example I never post in Home Theater since I have never had one and I am not interested.
Opinions based on personal experience are weightier of course. But let's remember that even people with experience have preferences that bias their opinions.

I wonder if you are suggesting active moderation to control ignorant opinions, or that we exercise self-restraint and good judgement?

JohnMichael
04-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Opinions based on personal experience are weightier of course. But let's remember that even people with experience have preferences that bias their opinions.

I wonder if you are suggesting active moderation to control ignorant opinions, or that we exercise self-restraint and good judgement?

I have noticed on other sites members who respond had real world experience with a product. To me this gave their advice more credibility. I think this happens more times when a product is being bashed. Bose is a prime example and I wonder how many have an opinion based on actual experience and ownership. Responses to cables is another pile on type of subject. Just because you read one old tired circulated article does not give you real world cable experience. Bose is an example and cable discussions is a pet peeve.

Noting that this is missing or minimized on other sites I was thinking it might be nice for AR. Opinions based on experience and not assumption. I vote for experience.

E-Stat
04-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I have noticed on other sites members who respond had real world experience with a product. To me this gave their advice more credibility.
I agree with LeRoy's comments about providing some background information on the perspective. What to you listen for? What kind of music is used for the evaluation? I don't think biases per se are a problem so long as they are known and explained. It is for that reason that I wouldn't value many suggestions without knowing the context. My preferences for speakers, for example, differ from two long term audio mentors.

Bose is a prime example and I wonder how many have an opinion based on actual experience and ownership. Responses to cables is another pile on type of subject.
Agreed. While its been many years since I've heard the 901, my opinion is based upon that experience, not speculation. Speaking of speculation, that is most evident with cables. I place ZERO value on the speculations of non-experiential theorists - many of whom clearly don't know what they don't know. Former posters like mtrycrafts, Resident Loser, Skeptic and my favorite, Woodman (among others) are great example.

You don't find me writing reviews here because they would take more time than I would want to invest to make what I consider valuable. My job keeps me busy enough. I've already turned down an offer from an old friend to do some reviews for him for those same reasons.

JohnMichael
04-01-2013, 03:46 PM
I should clarify what I meant about price differences. I was thinking in the more exaggerated sense. Say a newbie is looking for a pair of $400 speakers and someone says "no you need these $1,000 speakers". They most likely want music now and do not want to wait months or a year for those better speakers. Now if someone is interested in a $1,300 pair of speakers and the suggestion is to buy the KEF LS 50's for $1,500 that seems more reasonable that the person could soon find another $200.

Another hot topic is tube v transistors. If someone is looking for a tube amp I have nothing to say. If they are looking for transistor based amps I will share why I like them. If they are trying to decide between a tube amp or transistor both camps should give advice.

These are my ideas for the forums so we do not scare or overwhelm newbies. This might grow the forums. On other sites they recommend sites that might be of more help with an issue. I have yet to see AR as one of those suggestions. It may happen but I have not seen it. I think the quality of advice and the quality of delivery might breathe some life in the old site yet.

JoeE SP9
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I completely agree with you JM. I try not to recommend any specific items. Usually my advice (especially with speakers) is audition xxxx and decide for yourself. In the event that I have experience with and/or knowledge of a particular "whatever" I say that what I'm posting is based on personal experience.

JohnMichael
04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
I completely agree with you JM. I try not to recommend any specific items. Usually my advice (especially with speakers) is audition xxxx and decide for yourself. In the event that I have experience with and/or knowledge of a particular "whatever" I say that what I'm posting is based on personal experience.

I have noticed you doing that on other sites where you participate.

blackraven
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
I try to give advice on only what I have had some experience with and just throw out suggestions. I try never to put down any ones system or tastes. Some times I may say that some one on this forum likes this speaker or has had problems with this amp for example. This is one of the reasons that I list my gear, so people can get an idea about what I am familiar with.

There is a guy in the audio circles forum that was giving me crap for answering a post about a tube preamp and SS amp. He was a tube amp guy and anti SS. it was a turn off.

I have noticed that when some people ask about gear in a certain price range that some people are quick to recommend more expensive gear. I try not to do that but I may say that if you can spend a little more you will get better performance.

emaidel
04-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Whenever I post an opinion on something, it's always as a result of personal experience. What irks me is that, while I might post that something noticeably improved the sound of my system, and that item also received glowing endorsements from either or both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, other members, who've never tied this particular item, have ridiculed my beliefs. Perhaps the most bitterly criticized were my praises for the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses with a large number of posters claiming that they couldn't possibly make any difference, despite annually being selected as "recommended components" - all the while without ever having tried them.

This isn't anything new in this business. When I first began selling stereo equipment in the mid 60's, I quickly developed a fondness for the KLH-6 speaker as my favorite bookshelf speaker. Fellow co-workers strongly disagreed, preferring other brands (but never the AR-2ax). I thought the Rectilinear III was a terrific sounding speaker, but again co workers thought it couldn't possibly be any good once they removed the grille, and saw that the drivers used weren't what appeared to be to notch. When the AR turntable was first introduced, I thought it was close to miraculous, especially given its very low price, but others I worked with thought it was "a piece of junk."

I recently purchased a Merigo Signature Series CD stabilizer, based on glowing comments I'd read elsewhere, and thoroughly agree with those comments. I haven't posted anything here because I know there will be those who'll say I'm nuts, even though my intention would be to recommend something worthwhile.

Audio Review isn't alone in posters criticizing other people's statements: sa-cd.net once had a string of vicious posts against the label BIS, and its president, Robert Barr, when he revealed that the nine Beethoven symphonies, all DSD-mastered SACD's, actually started out as "lowly" PCM recordings. That those very recordings were praised to the heavens initially, and now were considered all but "unlistenable" because BIS used a method of recording that was simply unacceptable to a small, but very vocal, group of "know-it-all's"who listened with their eyes and not their ears actually hurt BIS's bottom-line.

In a sense, nothing's changed for almost 50 years. An opinion held by one, while many may agree, is "wrong" to someone else. And then the battles ensue...

JohnMichael
04-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Emaidel I also took a lot of flac for the fuses. I also had the misfortune of saying I heard an improvement with the Sound Improvement Disc. One member told me unless I had two matched cd players how could I be sure I heard what I claimed. I know what it's like to share a tweak that raises performance and enjoyment but when you try to share the experience you are taken to task.

JohnMichael
04-03-2013, 05:13 AM
One thing I am not suggesting is for everyone to agree. If you do not like my Krell S-300i that is fine if the dislike is based on hearing that model. Many judge it by older Krells or older reviews of Krell equipment. What Hi Fi said the S-300i was not Krell's best offer. I of course know tube lovers would not like it but on the other hand I get a kick out of them telling me I also should not like it. Viva la difference!

E-Stat
04-03-2013, 06:28 AM
... other members, who've never tied this particular item, have ridiculed my beliefs.
Don't you just love the wisdom of non-experiential theorists? :)

I recently purchased a Marigo Signature Series CD stabilizer, based on glowing comments I'd read elsewhere, and thoroughly agree with those comments.
I used one (still have it) up until the time I retired my players in favor of using a server based streamers. CD/SACD players have some similarities to turntables in terms of the need for vibration control and precise tracking. I got improved focus.