Anybody remember band The Call [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody remember band The Call

Smokey
03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
If you were first generation MTV viewer, you should know this band as their single video "The Walls Came Down" got heavy rotation. Their lyrics are very political, but they have good music to back it up.

Their first few albums really rock, especially the 1986 album Reconciled. And sad to say that the lead singer Michael Been died in 2010 at age 60.

http://addictedtovinyl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/the-call3471.jpg

Jim Clark
04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I've got a few Call albums sitting on the shelf. Really enjoyed them back when. The thing that stands out the most was Been sang every note of every song so emphatically. There was just this sense of urgency and importance that never went away. As much as I did/do enjoy them, that seemed kinda silly but he did leave an impression. We should all be so fortunate.

jc

Smokey
04-01-2013, 11:35 PM
The thing that stands out the most was Been sang every note of every song so emphatically. There was just this sense of urgency and importance that never went away.

The type of lyrics that band wrote probably demanded that level of energized vocalization.

Lyrics such as:

There are no Russians
There are no Yanks
They are just corporate criminals
Playing with the tanks

Mr MidFi
04-04-2013, 08:03 AM
I picked up the latest release from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and noticed the second song is a cover of "Let the Day Begin". Then I found out that the bassist is/was Michael Been's son... and Been had been a mentor to the band for years. They included the song as a tribute to him.

(I'm only two spins in, so no review yet. Like what I'm hearing, in general.)

Smokey
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
I picked up the latest release from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and noticed the second song is a cover of "Let the Day Begin". Then I found out that the bassist is/was Michael Been's son... and Been had been a mentor to the band for years.Thanks Midfi as I have not heard any of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club albums. But if you decide to give The Call a spin, 1986 Reconciled album might be your best bet :)