Firefox not parsing links? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Firefox not parsing links?

menschenstimme
03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
I mostly use Firefox as my browser. I have had sbcglobal email for years. About six months ago, my sbcglobal email stopped parsing links while I am typing messages. One computer technician told me that it was an SBC problem and NOT a Firefox problem. However, if I type an email using IE8, the links parse just fine.

Can I realistically expect that Firefox and SBC will eventually get together on this and correct it?

SIGH!

Hyfi
03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
is this what you are talking about?

Why is the "http://" being stripped from the address bar? | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/883961)

menschenstimme
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
No - not at all.
I am talking about if you are composing an email to someone and in the text of the email you type in an email address or a link to something on the internet, it does not turn blue and become a link instead of black text (which is not a link). I believe that this is called "parsing."

TheHills44060
03-26-2013, 04:44 PM
I believe It is a limitation of the JavaScript code used by websites to automatically create a hyperlink that works for IE, but doesn't support Firefox. The exact same thing you have described happens for me in Gmail. For example when creating an email in Gmail using IE, hyperlinks are automatically clickable however constructing that same email in Firefox the link is not clickable. What you have to do in Firefox is click the "Link" button (not sure if it is labeled the same for SBC email) and make the link a hyperlink which will then underline it, turn it blue and make it clickable. I do not think there is a way to avoid this in Firefox. If there is I have yet to discover it.

menschenstimme
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Wow - thanks TheHills!
I wonder why my computer tech did not know that?
The "link" button is right there in my email, but I never noticed it because I did not need it (or so I thought) and did not realize what it was. For everyone's information:
It looks like a little globe of the Earth with a chain-link underneath it.
I am very grateful to know about this!