Panasonic Laser VED0378 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Laser VED0378

menschenstimme
03-25-2013, 06:35 AM
Does anyone on this Forum happen to know if the Panasonic VED0378 CD/DVD laser is interchangeable with the VED0378Z ? I find nothing on the internet about this and the "Z" version is barely recognized as existing at all. Past experience tells me that contacting Panasonic directly with a question like this is futile. Said lasers are circa 1999.

Hyfi
03-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Have you asked anyone from a Panasonic Authorized Service Center? Probably your best route.

menschenstimme
03-25-2013, 06:56 AM
I just did that right now. I can virtually guarantee you that their response will be vague at best. This is based on past experience. I will post their response here later. Wish me luck!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Does anyone on this Forum happen to know if the Panasonic VED0378 CD/DVD laser is interchangeable with the VED0378Z ? I find nothing on the internet about this and the "Z" version is barely recognized as existing at all. Past experience tells me that contacting Panasonic directly with a question like this is futile. Said lasers are circa 1999.

Pioneer stopped making laser disc players back in 2009, and they stated when part for repair ran out, they would no longer support the format. I seriously doubt you will find anything on any player these days.

dean_martin
03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Pioneer stopped making laser disc players back in 2009, and they stated when part for repair ran out, they would no longer support the format. I seriously doubt you will find anything on any player these days.
Ahh, laser disc players. I never had one but my friend did and a lot of the import videos I have are dubs from laser discs released in Europe and Japan. They had pretty good pq for their time. Not sure what those dubs from laser disc would look like on my HDTV. The vcr's been collecting dust for years.

Smokey
03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Not sure what those dubs from laser disc would look like on my HDTV.You don't know, and you don't want to know :hand:

menschenstimme
03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Meanwhile, back on the topic:

I opened up two different circa 1999 CD/DVD players - two different brands - with Transport DVD-A110U/CA. The "/CA" may be a suffix and I am unaware of its meaning. In BOTH of these players, the ribbon cable from the laser clearly reads VED0378 without the "Z". However one of the players is reported via internet searches to use the "Z" version of said laser - whatever that means. Perhaps 14 years later it means nothing. My guess is that the non-Z laser would work fine in the player that is reported to have the "Z" version of said laser. This is worse than trying to keep an old car running. SIGH!

menschenstimme
03-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Thus spake *Matsusheeta:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Case Number:30385815

We apologize for any inconvenience. The e-mail site you have reached does not support parts or accessory inquires. To order the requested item, please contact our Parts Department at 1-800-833-9626. Our hours of operation are Monday thru Friday 9 A.M. to 6 P.M. Eastern Standard Time.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

*P.S.: The Forum would not allow me to spell this correctly - it changed the correct 4 letters to ****! LOL!!