CD Player or DVD Player for music?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD Player or DVD Player for music??

Youngee
04-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, I am currently setting up my stereo for music.. I have a set of Polk LSi 9's and I am pretty sure that I am getting the high current Harmon Kardon 3480 stereo reciever. I was just wondering if I should also get the Harmon Kardon CD player (FL 8385). (I know they had some mechanical problems with last years model and I haven't heard much about the FL 8385). I was just wondering your opinions on wether or not I should purchase this CD player or just get some DVD player.... (like a sony 5 disc or something along those lines) All I am using it for is music...

Thanks in advance, this board is usually pretty helpful..

Peace

markw
04-20-2004, 07:14 PM
... DVD players, even cheap ones, work quite nicely as plain ol' Cd players. I'm using a two year old Toshiba 2805 changer for both DVD and CD use and the sound is superb, at least to my jaded ears. ...and the picture is great to boot!

FWIW, there's a lot of buzz about a newer Toshiba DVD, a 3805 or so, that supposedly beats the pants off much more expensive units. It generally sells for $70 or less...

topspeed
04-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, I am currently setting up my stereo for music.. I have a set of Polk LSi 9's and I am pretty sure that I am getting the high current Harmon Kardon 3480 stereo reciever. I was just wondering if I should also get the Harmon Kardon CD player (FL 8385). (I know they had some mechanical problems with last years model and I haven't heard much about the FL 8385). I was just wondering your opinions on wether or not I should purchase this CD player or just get some DVD player.... (like a sony 5 disc or something along those lines) All I am using it for is music...

Thanks in advance, this board is usually pretty helpful..

Peace

Typically, I've found dvd players to be fairly lacking for music because the dac's most use are incredibly cheap. One way to have your cake and eat it to would be to use an optical connection between your dvd player and HK thereby using the dacs in the receiver and turning your dvd player into a transport. Now, I have no idea what kind of dacs HK employs so whether or not it will sound better is up to you to decide. I know that when I was using a Sony DVD changer for music, it was horrid. However, after switching to an optical link and utilizing the Denon's Burr-Brown dac's the sound was a quantum leap forward, especially in Pure Direct whereas it utilizes 16 dacs (8/side) and sounds just soooo smooth. Now you have the utility of a dvd player but the good sound of a dedicated cd player.

Your other option would be to look into the new wave of universal players that play dvd's, cd's, dvd-a's, sacd's, and everything else you can put on a 5" shiny piece of plastic. These designs are typically more sophisticated in the audio department and can be had for peanuts these days. I think Pioneer makes one for less than $200.

Good luck

04-20-2004, 11:42 PM
only 200 bux??? WHICH ONE??

N. Abstentia
04-21-2004, 04:10 AM
It's $149 actually. Not the best player, but it's a good entry level player.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jVf8QFewnAp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130DV563A

bturk667
04-21-2004, 07:12 AM
Why go with a reciever and not go with a good integrated amp? I mean unless you like to listen to the radio.
As for which to go with a CD or DVD player. Go with the one that offers not only the best sound but the best build quality. I do not believe you are going to get good build quality from either a cheap CD or DVD player, but the choice is yours.

ppopp
04-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I would suggest avoiding any HK disc spinners. I sold HK for 4 years and them have more than their fair share of repairs.
A Denon DVD2200 would be a fine choice as a great allrounder for your components. The Toshiba model getting a few mentions here and there is apparently okay with Redbook (regular CD) playback, but don't expect miracles from it. It depends on what you expect as to which will give you most satisfaction.

Youngee
04-21-2004, 01:06 PM
hey, ya I have heard bad things about the HK CD players, but I also heard that they fixed the problems this year... not sure though...

I am beginning to have second thoughts about HK in general, although I can get a good deal on it, maybe I should go with something other than the 3480 with the HK CD Player..

Youngee
04-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I found a good deal on a NAD C320BEE... Do you guys think that this would be better than the Harman Kardon 3480 for 2 channel music?

04-21-2004, 03:22 PM
I hear the nad is really good bang for the buck.
I find I like integrated amps more than receivers in general...so I would say yes its better...but I donno...I havent heard the HK

NickWH
04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Agree with above. The NAD C320BEE is supposed to be unbeatable for the money. It is usually compared with components costing twice as much. Combine that with the C521BEE CD player and you should be golden (and not too shabby at $700 total).

topspeed
04-21-2004, 09:46 PM
FWIW, I just ordered a Cambridge Audio Azure 540a integrated amp and 540c cd player for my office based on research from both here and audioasylum. The C320bee is very highly regarded and I probably would have bought that if not for the smokin' deal I wrangled out of my local guy. In addition, the Wolfson dac's in the cd player intrigued me. You can get them from AudioAdvisor but if you find a local dealer, maybe you can work the same deal I did: $535 for both.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?Variant=1&AttribNum=1&pf_id=6722&sku=CAMB540A&selAttribute_1=Silver
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?Variant=1&AttribNum=1&pf_id=6723&sku=CAMB540C&selAttribute_1=Silver

Happy hunting!

NickWH
04-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Hey Topspeed, how do you like the Azur CD player? My next purchase will be a CDP and I keep going back and forth between the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, the Jolida JD-100 (used), and the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C. Except for another power supply and upgraded DAC's, I believe the 540C is the same thing. Haven't seen this player in person, just wanted to get an idea for the overall sound, the build quality (it looks to good for the price), functionality, etc. Thanks.

topspeed
04-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey Topspeed, how do you like the Azur CD player? My next purchase will be a CDP and I keep going back and forth between the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, the Jolida JD-100 (used), and the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C. Except for another power supply and upgraded DAC's, I believe the 540C is the same thing. Haven't seen this player in person, just wanted to get an idea for the overall sound, the build quality (it looks to good for the price), functionality, etc. Thanks.

Hey Nick,

The gear isn't due in until Monday but I'll be in San Diego for business all week. I'll have to get back to you in about 2 weeks. The good news is that while I'm down there I'm going to stop by Von Schweikert Audio and listen to the VR-11's. At $160,000/pair, the experience should be enlightening to say the least!

BTW, it's interesting that you are comparing two tube output cdp's with a regular one. The logic behind this is...?

NickWH
04-23-2004, 05:00 AM
Well, it's a tube buffered CDP vs. tube output CDP vs. SS CDP. But that's neither here nor there. The logic behind this trio is simply cost. Bang for the buck....that's all. I'd appreciate you sharing your experience with the CA gear when you get back. Have fun.

PPG
04-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Denon makes some good CD players