PSB Stratus Silver - Cone Rips [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PSB Stratus Silver - Cone Rips

rick stransky
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
I have had to replace all 4 of my drivers over the last few years on my PSBs. the cones were ripped. Why may that be? I play them loudly often (few times a month for a couple hours), which in this case, means dialing the pre-amp to about 50% of capacity. I have lived with the system in Miami, Fl (10 years), Oklahoma (3 years), and Gainesville, FL 10 years). I have to say, I know little about audio, but i like to listen to music.

My other components are:

PSB Stratus Silver - bought new in about '90
Aragon 8008 MKII - bought used in about 2005
Acurus LSII - bought used in about 2003
Audio Alchemy CD Player w a DDE 1.1 - bought new in about '90
and i use Nordost Supreme Reference with biwires (last 5 years, monsters prior) from Aragon to PSBs.

TheHills44060
03-24-2013, 09:08 AM
The stratus silvers are solid speakers. When you say "rips" what exactly do you mean. Did the surrounds tear?

Hyfi
03-24-2013, 09:12 AM
You wouldn't happen to have an extra Power Supply for the DDE1.1 would you?

If I read you right, they are 23 years old and have had lots of time on them. May have been weather related in FLA.

rick stransky
03-25-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't know the lingo well, but the paper part that covers the front of the cone that one can touch when the speaker after the cover is removed. looking at the picture on the upper right side of this web page: 2.972 How Speakers Work (http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports/speaker/speaker.html). they call it the cone.

rick stransky
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
does that tend to happen with age? i know they have never been physically mistreated. I just want to make sure if it is because i play them too loud, i'll try to cut back. the system is a bit big for my room anyway. I play it lound when i am in the yard working.

and sorry no extra power supply. - - do you know this CD player - - is it time to upgrade, can i get a better replacement for $500 or so?

TheHills44060
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Hmm i don't think it's all that common for the cone itself to develop a tear. The seam where the cone fastens to the surround may come loose after time or heavy playing. Is it possible someone may have been poking the cone at one time? Maybe kids or a pet?