Any one remember Triumph? Top 3? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any one remember Triumph? Top 3?

Mr Peabody
03-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Triumph is still up there as one of my favorite bands, Canadian power trio. I still have their LP's I began buying in high school, dating myself a bit, and how I managed to hang on to them or all my albums really as I traveled around.... I guess we take care of what's important to us. Top 3 is tough for me as there are at least 3 albums I can play all the way through without missing a beat.1. Time Goes By2. Fight The Good Fight3. Young Enough To Cry (going back to Just A Game)Just a shame some of this good Rock is missing from radio today. Most of their albums are gold and some platnum.

ForeverAutumn
03-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Remember Triumph? They still get regular airplay here in the Great White North. Rik Emmett is alive and well with successful solo career...although he's much more mellow these days. We try to get out to see him play once a year. These days he's touring with another fantastic guitar player named David Dunlop. He's always entertaining. If you get the chance to see him live, do it. Rik Emmett | Official Site (http://www.rikemmett.com)

Okay...on to the top three Triumph tunes.

Magic Power - I consider this song my personal ballad. Rik wrote it about himself, but he could have written it about me. I had "I got the magic power of the music in me" engraved on my iPod. I've also considered it as a tattoo, but it's a bit long.

Suitcase Blues - I love this little jazzy tune. It's not really what you expect to hear from Triumph, but what a great, great song with fantasic guitar playing. Rik still plays this one live on occasion and it's always a treat to hear.

Rocky Mountain Way - This is a cover of the Joe Walsh tune and they did an outstanding job on it.

Honourary mention to Fight the Good Fight and Never Surrender.

Finch Platte
03-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Wait, what, you dated yourself in high school???

I thought I was unpopular.

:sosp:

Mr Peabody
03-23-2013, 06:35 PM
LOL, not exactly what I meant but would have been an interesting concept.

Wait, what, you dated yourself in high school???

I thought I was unpopular.

:sosp:

Mr Peabody
03-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I did read Rick got back with the band to do a couple festival type concerts. I also discovered today they have a self titled album, I always thought Rock N Roll Machine was the first. As I was spinning some Triumph today on vinyl I thought it was interesting that the sound quality on Just A Game was quite a bit better than the later Thunder 7.

Remember Triumph? They still get regular airplay here in the Great White North. Rik Emmett is alive and well with successful solo career...although he's much more mellow these days. We try to get out to see him play once a year. These days he's touring with another fantastic guitar player named David Dunlop. He's always entertaining. If you get the chance to see him live, do it. Rik Emmett | Official Site (http://www.rikemmett.com)

Okay...on to the top three Triumph tunes.

Magic Power - I consider this song my personal ballad. Rik wrote it about himself, but he could have written it about me. I had "I got the magic power of the music in me" engraved on my iPod. I've also considered it as a tattoo, but it's a bit long.

Suitcase Blues - I love this little jazzy tune. It's not really what you expect to hear from Triumph, but what a great, great song with fantasic guitar playing. Rik still plays this one live on occasion and it's always a treat to hear.

Rocky Mountain Way - This is a cover of the Joe Walsh tune and they did an outstanding job on it.

Honourary mention to Fight the Good Fight and Never Surrender.

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the info. I did read Rick got back with the band to do a couple festival type concerts.

They just did one date, a festival in Sweden. Here are a couple of related stories as told by Rik at his shows...

He left Triumph on very bad terms. He was very angry with the rest of the band and did not talk to Gil or Mike from the time he left the band until a few years ago. When Rik's brother was dying, his brother told him to mend fences before it was too late. So he did. That led to talk of a reunion...which eventually happened. However, over the years Rik was the only one who continued to play and perform on a consistant basis.

So, during rehearsals Rik invited Dave Dunlop to play with them. The other guys became very nervous having to play in front of Dave. So Rik became concerned about how they would manage a festival audience if they couldn't play in front of one fellow musician. They played a festival in Sweden in 2008 but that was the one and only reunion date. They've all moved on with their lives and apparently Gil and Mike have no interest in becoming a touring band at this stage.

It's a shame really. I would love for them to do one home town show for old times sake. I saw the Allied Forces tour so I did get to see them live once, but would love to do it again.

This concludes today's episode of the History of Triumph. :)

Hyfi
03-24-2013, 06:05 AM
I had to give my tickets away last time Rik was here due to back surgery 2 years ago. I saw them in their prime playing wireless throughout the Tower Theater in Philly.

Blinding Light Show!

Mr Peabody
03-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Hyfi, no top 3?

Hyfi
03-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Blinding Light Show
Lay it on The Line
Never Surrender