Polk Lsi M707 or Paradigm Studio 100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk Lsi M707 or Paradigm Studio 100

rajeshgeorgy
03-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Hi,

I currently own a Polk Audio Rti A9 which is powered by a Denon 2810 and a power amp NAD 275 BEE. I am looking for an upgrade and the option that I have is an LSi M 707 as front speakers and LSi M706 C as Centre Speakers from Polk or a Paradigm Studio 100 and Paradigm Studio CC 690 as centre. Both comes to me at an almost equal price. I use the set up for both two channel music and 5.1 channel output. Have not come across a review comparing these models. If somebody can advice me on the right option, it would be great.

Rajesh

blackraven
03-22-2013, 06:36 AM
I have not heard the Polks but there are relativey limited reviews on them. From the 2 that I have read, it seems that the speaker has a placement issue due to the heavy bass. You need a big room that has some width to it. Read this-

Polk Audio announce LSiM Loudspeaker Series | Digital Audio Review by John Darko (http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/10/polk-audio-announce-lsim-loudspeaker-series/)

For the almost $2,000 each list price they should sound good. But for that price I would rather own a pair of PSB Synchrony's or Thiels. I have never been a Polk fan although, fans of them are almost like a cult.

I do like the Paradigms detail though. They are a more lively speaker with a more forward presentation which could be a turn off if you like a more laid back and warmer presentation like a PSB speaker.

How do the speakers sound to you? That is the bottom line and what counts!

blackraven
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Paradigms are crap

I try to respect every one's opinion on audio gear because we all have our own likes and dislikes, so can you please tell us why all Paradigms are crap and what you don't like about them?

Feanor
03-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi,

I currently own a Polk Audio Rti A9 which is powered by a Denon 2810 and a power amp NAD 275 BEE. I am looking for an upgrade and the option that I have is an LSi M 707 as front speakers and LSi M706 C as Centre Speakers from Polk or a Paradigm Studio 100 and Paradigm Studio CC 690 as centre. Both comes to me at an almost equal price. I use the set up for both two channel music and 5.1 channel output. Have not come across a review comparing these models. If somebody can advice me on the right option, it would be great.

Rajesh
For my $2k I'd get Magneplanar MG 1.7's -- but they are planars which gives rise to issues you might prefer to avoid.

Given "box" speakers, I'd prefer a "bookshelf" (monitor) pair with a good subwoofer over floorstanders. E.g. in Paradigm terms, a pair of Studio 20's and a Sub 12. I would high-pass the monitors at 80Hz and let the sub take over from there. A good subwoofer will not only go deeper than floorstanders but can be placed in the room optimal sound which is likely to be in spot different from the main speakers.

Hyfi
03-22-2013, 10:34 AM
they can't thump at all... ****ty bass response.

Driven with what amp?

And by the way, what is the model number of Party Speakers? I do not see them listed on the products page of their site.

harley .guy07
03-22-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't think the OP was wanting "thump" which would by way of description be over blown muddy and way too heavy bass that you hear out of high school kids cars. The good speakers out there for higher end audio do not have that type of bass because they are not designed for that they are designed for the most natural response that the speaker can bring for that particular design and at that price. Some people will like some brands better than others mostly because their designers version of natural sound matches yours better. I haven't heard the Polks so I really can't compare but I used to sell Paradigm and they are good long lasting speakers and the studio series while sounding a bit bright and forward for me do have good detail and dynamics for their price.

blackraven
03-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Cerwin Vega large speakers in general. Used in lots of clubs and parties. I have 100s of amps sitting around ... no time to name them all. I own 20 different sets of Cerwin Vega PARTY SPEAKERS and 10 or so Pioneers. I also have a few kenwood speakers and sonys and I have tons of others laying around... I will write a book about my collection and sell it on amazon soon.

While I understand the appeal of CW speakers and the others that you mention, but none of them are considered audiophile speakers with the level or detail and resolution of Paradigms or those Polks for that matter. I doubt that you have heard Studio 100's or the top of the line Paradigm S series floor standers with a proper amp driving them as they can present a some what difficult load for some amps. These speakers are not designed to be loud party speakers with driving bass. However the S series are not lacking in driving bass one bit.

In addition, they are going to be used in his HT system as well as 2 ch and he will probably have a sub.

Jack in Wilmington
03-23-2013, 05:28 AM
I usually associate pounding with a headache. Hmmmm......

Jack in Wilmington
03-23-2013, 06:09 AM
Controled bass yes. Pounding bass in the LFE channel is OK cause it's there for effect. Pounding bass reminds me too much of a high school kid with subwoofers in the car. Later on in life he will be spending money on hearing aids and tattoo removal.

Feanor
03-23-2013, 07:38 AM
no, get Cerwin Vega PARTY SPEAKERS!!!!
What if you never hold parties??

Jack in Wilmington
03-23-2013, 08:22 AM
No, no and again NO! LFE POWERFUL BASS! Makes you feel like CHUCK NORRIS!

You mean old???????????

JohnMichael
03-23-2013, 08:53 AM
NO, I mean , AWESOME!

No, I mean, Stop! When I shake I hit the ban button. I am shaking towards it now. Make a few posts on topic or bye. This thread was not asking about CV's.

JohnMichael
03-23-2013, 09:13 AM
This was my recommendation based on experience. I like powerful sound that brings you into the center of ACTION! and not weak speakers that might be good only for borefest films.

How many times must you make that recomendation when the OP is not asking about them? I think 12 of your 14 posts are listing CV's. I think you are a troll. Back under the bridge you go.

blackraven
03-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Bout time some one banished him!