CD Players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD Players

menschenstimme
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Does anyone make a conventional CD transport that outputs an asynchronous digital signal via USB? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use one of these excellent (and relatively inexpensive) USB DACs without a computer as the transport? If nobody makes such a CD transport, is there any reason that one could not be made if someone wanted to do so?

Mr Peabody
03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Typically a DAC will offer a variety of inputs, so you use either coaxial or optical digital connection from the transport. Most disc players have these outputs as well, whether DVD or CD, so you may not even need a transport depending on what you already have around.

menschenstimme
03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Thank you, Mr. Peabody!
I have been advised that these new USB DACs have been designed to work only with the asynchronos output from a computer that is being used as a music server - so to speak. My idea is to be able to take advantage of one of these relatively inexpensive DACs with a relatively inexpensive transport. But this would only work in the manner intended if said transport was designed and built specifically to emulate the asynchronous USB output of a computer. (I hope that I explained this correctly.)

Feanor
03-19-2013, 05:00 AM
T...
I have been advised that these new USB DACs have been designed to work only with the asynchronos output from a computer that is being used as a music server - so to speak. My idea is to be able to take advantage of one of these relatively inexpensive DACs with a relatively inexpensive transport. But this would only work in the manner intended if said transport was designed and built specifically to emulate the asynchronous USB output of a computer. (I hope that I explained this correctly.)
USB-only DACs are obviously designed for USB only; (a really great, inexpensive example is the Schiit MOD, HERE (http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14)). But, unfortunately, I'm not aware of any CD players with USB outputs, so might have to rely on optical or coax S/PDIF outputs, as Mr Peabody indicates.

The good news is that there are plenty decent, inexpensive DACs with S/PDIF input. One is the SMSL SD-1955+ which is available from several eBay vendors, e.g. HERE (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Silver-Panel-SD-1955-DIR9001-Chip-AD1955-DAC-24bit-96khz-Audio-Decoder-Power-/271174063722?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3f233bd66a&_uhb=1#ht_4643wt_1040).

Mr Peabody
03-19-2013, 06:36 AM
I didn't realize some DAC's limit themselves to only one input. I have seen advertised adaptors to go USB to toslink or vice versa but haven't looked at them. If just buying though I think I'd get a DAC with plenty of input options.